The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Quote from: Hardy on February 13, 2010, 01:49:23 PM
I meant to go, but you couldn't make this up! Who exactly is playing the martyr card here?

Just because I'm fascinated by the squirming, can I ask you again - how does he British army/RUC/loyalist murder campaign justify murdering families in Enniskillen? In what way is this "fighting back"?

Hardy, what's your issue here - is it 'mistakes' such as Enniskillen or is it that the IRA's right to fight back in general?

If it's the first, I'm sure you are aware that approaching 80% of those killed or injured by the IRA were willing participants in the conflict in one form or another (according to 'Lost Lives'). That's a figure that would rank very favourably with pretty much any armed campaign or war you want to choose and one I'm sure would as good as or not better than the campaign fought by Turbity's grandfather.

If it's the second, and you are against armed conflict in principle, let's get it out in the open instead of hiding behind the 'atrocity' headline, so we can have a sensible debate on the matter.

Nally Stand

Well said Ulick. Also Maguire, Almost a thousand families believe British State forces colluded in the death of a loved one. Britain has never acknowledged or apologised for this. But sure why don't we continue to focus in on a single IRA attack which the perpetrators did acknowledge and apologise for eh?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 13, 2010, 01:12:42 PM
Another point. When loyalists murdered people in their beds, witnesses often reported that they often broke in and walked straight to the bedrooms of their victims, knowing the house's layout. In these cases, the RUC/brits had raided the houses weeks before and openly sketched the layout of rooms. I recall living in fear after seeing them sketch my home. We were lucky but others weren't. Don't try tell me those in the south are equally qualified to talk about what those in the north went through.
I know loyalists aren't renowned for being master criminals but I think they could
manage to find a bedroom in a house. Generally the ones upstairs with the beds rather
than bath, toilet and shower...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2010, 03:41:23 PM
Another point. When loyalists murdered people in their beds, witnesses often reported that they often broke in and walked straight to the bedrooms of their victims, knowing the house's layout. In these cases, the RUC/brits had raided the houses weeks before and openly sketched the layout of rooms. I recall living in fear after seeing them sketch my home. We were lucky but others weren't. Don't try tell me those in the south are equally qualified to talk about what those in the north went through.
I know loyalists aren't renowned for being master criminals but I think they could
manage to find a bedroom in a house. Generally the ones upstairs with the beds rather

Come on Tony, you know what he means. If a hitman comes to a house he wants to get in and out quick and get the right person (i.e. the right bedroom) not wake up the whole house as he runs through it searching for his victim. It is, as i'm sure you know, well documented that security forces provided Loyalists with information on republicans or just plain ordinary catholics, leaving roads free for the assassin to flee and carrying out half arsed investigations. Have the brits even admitted that the sent the SAS into Ireland yet?

pintsofguinness

The brits never colluded with loyalists?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 13, 2010, 04:10:44 PM
Who said that?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2010, 04:18:59 PM
Who said that?
No one, I'm asking. Do you believe the brits/ruc colluded with loyalists?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 13, 2010, 04:19:49 PM
Who said that?
Yes. What makes you ask such a question? What next,"is there a sun in the sky?"

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2010, 05:31:23 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 13, 2010, 04:19:49 PM
Who said that?
Because you seemed to be in an awful rush to rubbish Nallystand's belief that brits had concluded with loyalists by providing plans of houses

Zapatista

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2010, 05:31:23 PM

Patronising and flippant. Beneath debate.

balladmaker

From his rantings and ravings on this thread, I think it can be taken as confirmed that Hardy is a certified idiot.

Hardy, still have that chip on your shoulder I see  ::)  Here is a reprise just for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5WIzOxa50Y

Minder

Quote from: balladmaker on February 13, 2010, 07:08:48 PM
From his rantings and ravings on this thread, I think it can be taken as confirmed that Hardy is a certified idiot.

Why, because he holds an alternative viewpoint to another poster?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

balladmaker

QuoteWhy, because he holds an alternative viewpoint to another poster?

No, because his viewpoints do not hold any substance whatsoever.

stibhan

Can I just point out that in the 1916 rising, in the following War of Independence and the climax of the civil war, more civilians died than in the entirety of the troubles. If you were to ask Unionists in 1920 whether the fight was justified or glorified then you'd get a similar answer to those during the 70's. The difference is the advance both in journalism (television cameras and widespread audience) and the methods of war (civilian targeting bombs etc).

Incendiary devices were actually used by the anti-treaty forces in 1922 so I would not make this a moral fight and suggest that there was no comparison between the two. In fact, it's completely ridiculous to suggest that the PIRA are worse because they're Northern. It's almost a reversion of the 17th Century Protestant inclination towards blaming a general Celtic and genetic inclination towards terrorism rather than the more circular inclination of Britain to invade Ireland. For Tubridy and his predecessor Byrne to claim that the comparison between old republican and new republican bears no weight reveals the absolute idiocy of what is a shallow, ill-conceived depiction of history rather than a moral high-ground. In republicanism there is no moral high-ground.

Capt Pat

Did anyone see Hollywood "Legend" Samuel L Jackson on the Late Late. I was reading in the paper that while he played a round of golf in the k club with Ronan Keating, he was accompanied the whole way by a security guard. Was that really necessary, Ronan Keating isn't that bad ;D

Seriously though, why would he need a security guard while playing golf in the k club?