End of an Era

Started by Jinxy, August 22, 2018, 12:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

The Big Tree is closing down.  :'(

Animals roaming the bar, Sam Maguire going 'missing' and Cavan's big day out - staff share memories as iconic GAA pub set to close

'Some staff members have less enjoyable memories about culchies descending on Dorset Street, however.

"That time Cavan got to Croke Park for the first time in years back in 2013 was like the animals in Dublin Zoo had been let loose," says one former barman, choosing to remain anonymous for fear of a Cavan reprisal.

"I was trying to get through the crowd with about ten empty pint glasses when these bunch of yahoos decided to try tickle me. Glasses smashed everywhere and I prayed that day that Cavan would never get to Croke Park again," he laughs.'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/animals-roaming-the-bar-sam-maguire-going-missing-and-cavans-big-day-out-staff-share-memories-as-iconic-gaa-pub-set-to-close-37223965.html

I think I was only in there a couple of times myself mind.
Always preferred Gills or Phil Ryans.
Where does everyone here typically go to meet up and/or have a couple of pints before heading in for the game?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mup

Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2018, 12:53:26 PM
The Big Tree is closing down.  :'(

Animals roaming the bar, Sam Maguire going 'missing' and Cavan's big day out - staff share memories as iconic GAA pub set to close

'Some staff members have less enjoyable memories about culchies descending on Dorset Street, however.

"That time Cavan got to Croke Park for the first time in years back in 2013 was like the animals in Dublin Zoo had been let loose," says one former barman, choosing to remain anonymous for fear of a Cavan reprisal.

"I was trying to get through the crowd with about ten empty pint glasses when these bunch of yahoos decided to try tickle me. Glasses smashed everywhere and I prayed that day that Cavan would never get to Croke Park again," he laughs.'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/animals-roaming-the-bar-sam-maguire-going-missing-and-cavans-big-day-out-staff-share-memories-as-iconic-gaa-pub-set-to-close-37223965.html

I think I was only in there a couple of times myself mind.
Always preferred Gills or Phil Ryans.
Where does everyone here typically go to meet up and/or have a couple of pints before heading in for the game?

Yahoo's. I love that word.

For me it's Johnson in Newbridge. #newbridgeornowhere

Yea Gills or Ryans myself. The odd one in the Old Triangle.

passedit

Liam Mc Carthy was in there sunday evening. Haven't been inside it in years. Cassidys before and Gills after for me.

Is it right Gills only opens on match days?
Don't Panic

Tony Baloney

Fagans - although it was 10 deep outside on Sunday so I can't imagine there was much movement inside.

Jinxy

Some amount of hotels flying up in Dublin.
I could see the govt cracking down on AirBnB before long.

Boycey

Meaghers - always busy but a huge yard and outside bar means there is always space to stand and chat with your group.

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Jinxy

The Hut in Phibsboro is another great spot if you've parked around there.

Captain Scarlet

The Hideout is back on the go too.
I hadn't been there until after the U20 final, but it's a decent tidy-up job on what was a good, but smell little spot...

Never liked the Big Tree to be honest.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Rois

stiffler

McGraths....best spot for the black stuff.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Orchard park

Quote from: ziggy90 on August 22, 2018, 01:49:56 PM
Tom Mayes.

A  good house and guineas that doesn't evaporate unlike that big tree and Quinn's kips

Gael85

Quote from: stiffler on August 22, 2018, 10:09:22 PM
McGraths....best spot for the black stuff.

+1 Great pub unlike the kip beside it.

macdanger2

Quote from: passedit on August 22, 2018, 01:19:21 PM
Liam Mc Carthy was in there sunday evening. Haven't been inside it in years. Cassidys before and Gills after for me.

Is it right Gills only opens on match days?

Yeah, only opens on match days