Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Watching Bono make a clown of himself last week in The Convention Centre, as well as the news that the new album has been put on ice, I hafta ask the question.

Is it time for U2 to pack their bags and retire?

See this blog which sums it up better than I ever could:

http://ourmaninstockholm.com/2014/03/08/the-unforgettable-ire/

I mean they haven't meant anything to me for 20 years. But that's personal. Some would say McGuinness jumped ship when he saw a Beatle like mess looming as Larry becomes more and more frustrated with the antics of Bono. He could walk off the pitch with the ball any day now.

The rich and famous lifestyle has resulted in the last two albums (if I am being generous) being phoned in. Still pull off a good show playing the oldies but big swinging!

While I can see that perhaps some of the "pay your tax ye shower of cnuts" ire being directed at them may be over-simplified it's all about public perception and if you are constantly explaining you are constantly losing.

Also The Edge's beanie is ridiculous at this stage. Be proud of being bald. Most of us share his pain to some degree or other.

So - in summary. Time for U2 to fold up the tent and for Bono to stop annoying us?
I say yes.

(Sits back and waits for the abuse)

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM
Watching Bono make a clown of himself last week in The Convention Centre, as well as the news that the new album has been put on ice, I hafta ask the question.

I mean they haven't meant anything to me for 20 years. But that's personal. Some would say McGuinness jumped ship when he saw a Beatle like mess looming as Larry becomes more and more frustrated with the antics of Bono. He could walk off the pitch with the ball any day now.

The rich and famous lifestyle has resulted in the last two albums (if I am being generous) being phoned in. Still pull off a good show playing the oldies but big swinging!

While I can see that perhaps some of the "pay your tax ye shower of cnuts" ire being directed at them may be over-simplified it's all about public perception and if you are constantly explaining you are constantly losing.

Also The Edge's beanie is ridiculous at this stage. Be proud of being bald. Most of us share his pain to some degree or other.

So - in summary. Time for U2 to fold up the tent and for Bono to stop annoying us?
I say yes.

I agree. Bono on tax avoidance is just ridiculous. He sounds like the old farts of Geldof's parents' generation that Geldof used to slag off 30 years ago.   Time to move on and pay some tax.
And the high heels and permo shades. FFS.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Billys Boots

Wouldn't disagree -  the Rolling Stones, who are probably the touchstone for this type of longevity, haven't produced anything of value in 40 years now.  It's pathetic really - take up the pottery or homebrewing Bobo!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Bingo

But what is to replace them? X-Factor like manufactured singers who are merely puppets for a money making machine behind the scenes? Or walking tabloid machines like Lady Gaga, Miley Cyres and Rihanna who can sing but just allow themselves to walked over to make the money keep rolling in.

U2 can still produce decent songs, they aren't hitting the heights they set themselves but they can still belt be creative and write unique tunes. The Mandela song was really good I thought and has something behind it, not like the "songs" we listen to today. They'll fill stadiums. I dread to think who will be filling stadiums in 20/30 years time for the current chart darlings.

U2, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, The Killers, Bruce etc are badly needed to keep music as it has been.

They may not be great but they as good we got!

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on March 10, 2014, 03:26:47 PM
But what is to replace them? X-Factor like manufactured singers who are merely puppets for a money making machine behind the scenes? Or walking tabloid machines like Lady Gaga, Miley Cyres and Rihanna who can sing but just allow themselves to walked over to make the money keep rolling in.

U2 can still produce decent songs, they aren't hitting the heights they set themselves but they can still belt be creative and write unique tunes. The Mandela song was really good I thought and has something behind it, not like the "songs" we listen to today. They'll fill stadiums. I dread to think who will be filling stadiums in 20/30 years time for the current chart darlings.

U2, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, The Killers, Bruce etc are badly needed to keep music as it has been.

Don't forget Garth Brooks.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

You might as well discontinue Kerry, who are now merely good.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

5 Sams

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

I say yes.

I'm a long time fan and think they are still brilliant live so we would be missing that part of the package....but I find it hard to disagree with anything you say above.
The Aristocrat Years

seafoid

Quote from: Bingo on March 10, 2014, 03:26:47 PM

The Gloaming are better than U2 are now 
Stadium rock may be banjaxed
Spinal Tap was originally a parody 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J OGorman

they are a great live band with a great back catalogue, well up to Achtung Baby. Some of the live shows starting with the Zoo TV one were unreal, really pushing the boundaries. Havent bought an album from them since AB, but have seen them live a few times. Making and playing music is what they do, if it was me, Id keep her lit (better than sitting at home scratching the bean bag)

whiskeysteve

Ponitificating on economics on that stage, on behalf of the Irish, is pure hubris for a multi multi millionaire rock singer. You ask the obvious indignant question 'who the f**k do you think you are?"

But I can ignore all that listening to something like 'Bad' when U2 is also about the edge, larry, adam, the music. Plus for all Bonos faults he is/was a brilliant singer - no one else can do that crescendo at the end of Bad like that.

I think, on the balance, the music of the band really gets obscured nowadays by personal gipes with Bono. I would lean more to ignoring him than getting het up and looking him to f**k off.

Unfortunately, that extends to being apathetic to ever seeing them live again. The last infliction of lecturing between the songs you are paying to see was enough.

Turning point for me on Bono from fan to apathy was hearing him waxing lyrical on the troubles at Slane in 2001 (no more IRAaaaa, no more UDAaaaaa, no more British Armyyyyy)... aye things would be simple if you were in charge u ballroot... conflicts are easy to resolve when you can preach populist, idealistic shite from the ivory rock tower.

But on the balance I love listening to U2 and always will. Even stuff from 10 years ago never mind the 80s heyday.

P.S. South Park nailed Bono as well as anything or anyone in recent years. A prancing prat.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

BennyCake

Bono is a dick, and U2 haven't done anything decent since about 2000. I used to be a fan but nowadays, I wouldn't watch them if they were in my front garden. If they retired, I really couldn't care less.

NAG1

Quote from: whiskeysteve on March 10, 2014, 04:07:18 PM
Ponitificating on economics on that stage, on behalf of the Irish, is pure hubris for a multi multi millionaire rock singer. You ask the obvious indignant question 'who the f**k do you think you are?"

But I can ignore all that listening to something like 'Bad' when U2 is also about the edge, larry, adam, the music. Plus for all Bonos faults he is/was a brilliant singer - no one else can do that crescendo at the end of Bad like that.

I think, on the balance, the music of the band really gets obscured nowadays by personal gipes with Bono. I would lean more to ignoring him than getting het up and looking him to f**k off.

Unfortunately, that extends to being apathetic to ever seeing them live again. The last infliction of lecturing between the songs you are paying to see was enough.

Turning point for me on Bono from fan to apathy was hearing him waxing lyrical on the troubles at Slane in 2001 (no more IRAaaaa, no more UDAaaaaa, no more British Armyyyyy)... aye things would be simple if you were in charge u ballroot... conflicts are easy to resolve when you can preach populist, idealistic shite from the ivory rock tower.

But on the balance I love listening to U2 and always will. Even stuff from 10 years ago never mind the 80s heyday.

P.S. South Park nailed Bono as well as anything or anyone in recent years. A prancing prat.

Does Christy Moore also now fall into the category?

whiskeysteve

Quote from: NAG1 on March 10, 2014, 04:13:35 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on March 10, 2014, 04:07:18 PM

Does Christy Moore also now fall into the category?

In all honesty, and I get death for my taste in music, I am not a massive fan of Christy either.

But anyway, Christy nowhere near as elite as Bono. Bono is up on his own in his ivory skyscraper.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

dec

The Best of 1980–1990 is a fantastic collection of songs
The Best of 1990–2000 is a good collection of songs
The Best of 2000–2010 is unlikely to ever be released

Bingo

Of course Bono is a dick but you knew that right? Before he even opened his mouth you expect that and just shake your head and wait till he starts singing again.

But he is massive for Ireland, that can't be understated.

Was actually talking to someone who was there on Friday when he give the latest wee rant/speach. He said the place was just captivated by him and you had people from all walks of life there - politically, business leaders, entrepeneurs, etc. They couldn't get enough of him and took in every word he said. Did he not say what we all want to say - Ireland took the pain, not the banks, the IMF, the investors, the Givernment etc but the people?

They see Bono, they think Ireland and its only good. Maybe they see him in a different light than we do. But he can open doors and sit at tables that very few can and certainly very few from this wee island.