Cavan v Donegal Ulster Final

Started by mrdeeds, June 11, 2019, 02:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: orangeman on June 23, 2019, 06:06:58 PM
2016 and getting beaten shows you the firepower / running power / decision making of the Donegal team.

Kerry and Donegal super 8 game is in Croke Park ? Should be interesting tussle.
If I was to base my prediction on what saw in the Ulster and Munster finals I would say Donegal to win by a bit to spare.

Itchy

We hoped that Donegal were over hyped and we could put it up to them today but the cold truth is they are way ahead of us and probably everyone else in Ulster too. They could've won by 10 to 15 points today if they really wanted to. That bring said we didn't really show up, got our tactics all wrong and gave a pretty poor account of ourselves. Still one game and we'd be in super 8s which would be a massive achievement. Im a believer now that Donegal are the biggest threat to Dublin 5 in a row. Well done to them. We've a long road ahead to get to their level.

ck

Quote from: ck on June 20, 2019, 01:01:17 PM
It's great for Cavan to get to an Ulster Final, long time coming but beating Donegal will be too much of a stretch for them.

Donegal will win at ease, probably by 10points or more. Donegal are genuine All Ireland contenders - Cavan unlikely to even make the Super 8's.

The only one to call it on this thread. 😎
The sh*te talked about Cavan pre game was unreal. Pure hype based on very little.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: ck on June 23, 2019, 08:51:22 PM
Quote from: ck on June 20, 2019, 01:01:17 PM
It's great for Cavan to get to an Ulster Final, long time coming but beating Donegal will be too much of a stretch for them.

Donegal will win at ease, probably by 10points or more. Donegal are genuine All Ireland contenders - Cavan unlikely to even make the Super 8's.

The only one to call it on this thread. 😎
The sh*te talked about Cavan pre game was unreal. Pure hype based on very little.

Donegal won by 5 points.

Cavan19

Poor performance from Cavan a bit caught up in the occasion possibly but that's a Donegal team on a mission and best of luck to them. Hopefully Cavan can lift it for the qualifier game its luck of draw now. Wont want Armagh or Tyrone in next stage be better off not meetng an Ulster team.

Have to say it saw a pleasure in clones today with the Donegal folk compared to the messing from previous opponents this year.

BennyCake

Two things, which are linked:

1. Was watching on BBC, showed a scene of the crowd. My eye went to one man, and I says to myself "Ah, there's Eamonn Coleman". I had forgot for a second that Eamonn is no longer with us. The man was the absolute spitting image of him.

2. Thomas Niblock referred to Cian Mackey. Apparently Eamonn Coleman gave him his debut. He scored 1-4 or something, and wearing silver boots. After the match Coleman chucks them in the bin. No man on his team was going to wear silver boots!

J70

Apparently Manus Kelly, the recently elected county councilor killed in the rally today was from Glenswilly, and a clubmate and friend of Michael Murphy.

Horrible dampener on was up to that a history-making day for the big man.

seafoid

Quote from: Cavan19 on June 23, 2019, 09:33:17 PM
Poor performance from Cavan a bit caught up in the occasion possibly but that's a Donegal team on a mission and best of luck to them. Hopefully Cavan can lift it for the qualifier game its luck of draw now. Wont want Armagh or Tyrone in next stage be better off not meetng an Ulster team.

Have to say it saw a pleasure in clones today with the Donegal folk compared to the messing from previous opponents this year.
Cavan are in the first year of a new setup. This experience will stand to them if they stick with the programme

yellowcard

Donegal are a very slick outfit with a good balance between defence and attack and certainly look best equipped to derail Dublins 5 in a row ambitions.

imtommygunn

Donegal are very good but Dublin are still about ten points better.

StephenC

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 24, 2019, 11:13:03 AM
Donegal are very good but Dublin are still about ten points better.

I agree. It's understandable that people are desperately hoping that there's someone who will put it up to Dublin, but win's against an asleep Tyrone team and a developing Cavan team do not suddenly turn us into Dublin-beaters. There's (correctly) been a lot of talk about how Cavan are a young, developing team ... well so are Donegal. There's no doubt we have progressed since last year and have a really talented bunch of lads playing, but we've done little to suggest that Dublin should have us on their radar.

J70

Is anyone REALLY suggesting that we have a chance of beating them though?

yellowcard

Quote from: J70 on June 24, 2019, 01:08:20 PM
Is anyone REALLY suggesting that we have a chance of beating them though?

Of course they have a chance, there is an almost acceptance by some other top counties that they are beaten before they take the field against Dublin now. They are worthy favourites but they will get beaten at some stage and not many will see it coming. If Donegal can beat Kerry in the Super 8s then I think they have a great chance of getting to an AI final. In a once off game against Dublin they have a punchers chance and I certainly wouldn't rule them out.

imtommygunn

Well we all need to have some hope that someone will challenge Dublin as if they don't it doesn't look like anyone else will and that would make it really dull. (I'm not a dub hater but they are beginning to cruise the ai like they have done the Leinster for years and that doesn't make for an interesting championship).

I don't think you are doing yourself justice saying an asleep Tyrone team stephenc. It was a good win though if you play them later in the year I wouldn't guarantee the same outcome.

Hound

Donegal into second favourites:

Dublin 1/2
Donegal 13/2
Kerry 7/1
Mayo 14/1
Tyrone 20/1
Galway 25/1
Roscommon 40/1
80/1 bar