English Premier League Best in World?

Started by screenexile, April 01, 2008, 10:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the English Premier League the Best in the World?

No it's overhyped with huff and puff and no quality.
8 (25%)
Yes, with many intense games.
12 (37.5%)
It's OK but the Spanish and Italian Leagues are the real thing.
2 (6.3%)
Apart from Man Utd and Arsenal the rest play crap football.
10 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: April 11, 2008, 10:34:15 AM

screenexile

I read this article in the BBC:

Premier League conquering Europe

By Ian Hughes

This season there are four teams from the same country in the Champions League quarter-finals for the first time ever.

While Italy, Germany, Spain and Turkey have to make do with one side each, the Premier League's big four have all made it through.

The progress of Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea has shown the strength of the Premier League - and with two of them drawn together, England is guaranteed at least one semi-finalist.

Never before has one country dominated to such an extent, so why and how has it happened? And will it continue?

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Q/FINALS
Arsenal v Liverpool
Roma v Man Utd
Fenerbahce v Chelsea
Schalke 04 v Barcelona

If so, what does it mean for other leagues around Europe, as the best players head for the Premier League in large numbers every summer?

And could the future of the Champions League be under threat if this trend continues?

BBC Sport asked three men with a vast amount of experience and knowledge of European football to give their verdicts:

Marcel Desailly, who won the Champions League twice with Marseille and with AC Milan and also has experience of the Premier League after spending six years at Chelsea

Jesper Blomqvist, who also has a Champions League winners' medal from his time at Manchester United. The Swede also played in Italy with AC Milan

Ferran Serrano, the vice-president of Spanish giants Barcelona, who won the Champions League in 2006.

WHY ARE PREMIER LEAGUE CLUBS DOMINATING IN EUROPE?

Blomqvist: The top clubs in the Premier League have found an excellent mix of the English mentality - the attitude, energy and high-tempo game - with the superior technical skills of the foreign players, and the tactical knowledge of the foreign coaches.

Those elements are giving the Premier League the edge.

Desailly: When the likes of Gianfranco Zola and Eric Cantona came to England in the 1990s the clubs took a more serious tactical approach and they are now able to play at the European level.

The technique was already there, the speed of the game was already there, but tactically they are now clever enough to cope with any opposition.

Also, you have four major teams who have the capacity to qualify for the Champions League.

The league is at a level where there is no space for them all to win the title so these teams have more concentration on winning the Champions League. Take Liverpool - they struggle in the league every year, so they concentrate on the Champions League.

Serrano: These things happen from time to time. Five or six years ago the Spanish teams dominated the Champions League.

However, since there is a strong correlation between the amount of money spent on players' salaries and results, it is fair to say that the Premier League (the biggest league in Europe in terms of revenues - double the size of Spain, France, Italy or Germany) is bound to have more teams winning in the competition.

SO IS IT ALL TO DO WITH MONEY?

Desailly: Money does play a part. But remember there is also money at Inter Milan, AC Milan, Real Madrid and Barcelona - they have that capacity at any time to splash any kind of amount on salaries.

However, you can see the huge potential and interest of foreign owners who want to establish themselves in England with football clubs. In Italy it is different, you cannot buy AC Milan or many of the other clubs because they are not on the market. But the fact that they are available in England motivates these people.

Blomqvist: The Premier League is offering really good money at the moment, and the other leagues are perhaps struggling to match that - particularly in Italy, where the top sides are struggling to hang on to the best Italian players.

So, the really good players are going to play in England right now. Money is a big factor, but it is not the whole reason for the Premier League's domination.

Serrano: Not entirely. The difference in revenues between the Premier League and other leagues has been like this for years.

But the fact that now there are more foreigners playing in England makes the style of play a bit more European and makes the English teams more competitive in the Champions League.

WILL MORE FOREIGN PLAYERS COME TO ENGLAND?

Blomqvist: Yes, I think that the resources that the Premier League has at the moment means that more foreign players will be heading for England.

And, also, the best players want to compete in the Champions League and the best players will go to England because they know they can go far there.

Serrano: I believe that foreign players will continue to move to England. The Premier League will continue its global projection, attract more revenue and therefore be able to spend more money on players.

HOW WILL THAT AFFECT THE ENGLAND TEAM?

Blomqvist: It is a big problem for the England team. There are not enough good players coming through, and when you look at the top clubs there are not many Englishmen playing in the first team.

To alter things would require a complete change of philosophy and big changes throughout all levels in England.

Serrano: I am not sure much can be done about the England team - they may just have to live with it.

IS ENGLAND'S DOMINANCE BAD FOR THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE?

Serrano: No, you must have free competition, in a free market. As for the format of the Champions League, the only improvement that can be made is to go back to the old two group stages format.

Blomqvist: The best teams that are left in the competition are there on merit and that is how it should be. I don't believe one country will dominate completely, anyway.

But if it did happen, then I think it would be devastating for the competition, not only in a football sense, but other factors like the TV rights would be affected.

Desailly: English clubs will not dominate. You have to consider Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Juventus and many other teams.

Yes, England are doing well but when you look at the likes of these teams and the quantity of trophies they have won, you see their history of winning European titles.

IS THE PREMIER LEAGUE THE BEST IN THE WORLD?

Desailly: In terms of the level of interest and supporters, we can say yes, the English league is the best. It can be more interesting, is quicker, and has more players who want to play and show they are the best.

However, if you talk with the Italians they would tell you that Serie A is the best league. The only difference is that the Premier League has a global following. I think that, tactically, the gap is not so big between England, Spain and Italy.

Blomqvist: I think Spain is as strong as it has ever been but possibly Italy may be suffering a bit economically and struggling to keep its best players. Perhaps not at the very top, but I feel Serie A is weaker and has gone backwards a bit.

In the Premier League, the combination of the English way of playing with the more tactical parts and technical parts from Europe and South America makes it very, very strong.

Serrano: I would say that the Premier League has certainly been the best-managed league in the last 10 years.

I hate all this Premier League is the best in the world and English teams domination of Europe crap! English teams have won the European Cup twice in the last 24 years! Also, let's be honest here they were freak occurances as it could be argued that both Man Utd's and Liverpool's comebacks in those finals will rarely happen!

Ok of course English teams are doing well this year but I think all this domination crap is a bit much. I would be surprised if Utd. or Arsenal don't win but to talk about English domination of the competition is ludicrous when you consider that with England's 2 wins in 24 years AC Milan have won the Cup 5 times, Juve twice, Real 3 times, Barca twice also... it's a pure joke!

English domination of the European Cup ended in 1984 after they won 7 out of 8 European Cups and English clubs will not dominate the competition again until they win a few more within a decent space of time!

As for the Premier League being the best in the world what a load of nonsense. Outside the top 4 it is utter tripe as can be witnessed by English teams involvement in the UEFA Cup final stages or lack of English involvement I should say.

Anyway I just thought I would put it out there... my own opinion would be the same as Desailly's who is basically saying that in terms of hype and interest the Premier League is the best but when talking about overall quality Spain and Italy are better.

End of Rant :D

Oriel Man

At the moment it is:
1) Look at the English teams success in the champions league over the last number of years.
2) Same goes for the UEFA cup (proving depth to the league - ie not just the top 4)
3) Usually the most exciting competitive games you'll see anywhere.... Have you ever fallen asleep watching Serie A, the Bundesliga or the Dutch s**te? - I HAVE!!! The only league that close is Le Lega.
4) Best players in the world want to play there (...mostly for the money of course)
5) The money

screenexile

Quote from: Oriel Man on April 01, 2008, 10:45:18 AM

At the moment it is:
1) Look at the English teams success in the champions league over the last number of years.
2) Same goes for the UEFA cup (proving depth to the league - ie not just the top 4)
3) Usually the most exciting competitive games you'll see anywhere.... Have you ever fallen asleep watching Serie A, the Bundesliga or the Dutch s**te? - I HAVE!!! The only league that close is Le Lega.
4) Best players in the world want to play there (...mostly for the money of course)
5) The money

1) As I have said.... 2 dodgy enough wins in 24 years.
2) UEFA Cup is the same. 2 English teams have won it in the last 24 years!
3) Exciting doesn't necessarily mean quality and I have fallen asleep watching Chelsea Liverpool games in recent times.
4) IMO Ronaldo is the best at the minute but Ronaldinho, Messi, Kaka, Robinho don't want to play there and Henry and Van Nistlerooy both left when they were playing great football.
5) Because the league has money it is the best in the world?

bennydorano

Giles and Dunphy would give an emphatic yes!

Abble

how can it be the best league in the world when theres only 4 or 5 teams in it ?!

its possible you could say this about most leagues, but until theres a league setup where 70%+ of the teams in it are fighting it out to win the league then its really not much of a league.....ie quality wise. in english premiership your mixing it with a lot of oul sh1te and this drags the league down a bit in my opinion, doesnt help thats it dragged out over so long and theres so many games...quality not quantity as they say!

AZOffaly

But as you say, you could say that about any of the leagues in Europe. They are all dominated by nominal 'big' clubs with the underdogs fighting for UEFA cup spots or the odd flirtation with the championship every blue moon.

red hander

Sky are great for spouting this shite ad infinitum ... they have to, they've spent millions acquiring the rights.  It's a particularly English trait, this arrogance, based no doubt on the DNA of imperialism that has seeped through to the very core of their national character.  They'll be saying Terminal 5 at Heathrow is the world's greatest airport terminal next

thewobbler

QuoteI hate all this Premier League is the best in the world and English teams domination of Europe crap! English teams have won the European Cup twice in the last 24 years!
Historical data is of no relevance. They're trying to work out what is the best league in the world at present. Anyway, why stop at 24 years? Go back 30 years and the figures change dramatically.

QuoteAlso, let's be honest here they were freak occurances as it could be argued that both Man Utd's and Liverpool's comebacks in those finals will rarely happen!
Although the manner of their final victories was strange, the fact that these clubs continually made the knockout stages of the trophy during the surrounding years would suggest that they weren't freak victories. Don't forget Arsenal were very unlucky in their final.

QuoteOk of course English teams are doing well this year but I think all this domination crap is a bit much. I would be surprised if Utd. or Arsenal don't win but to talk about English domination of the competition is ludicrous when you consider that with England's 2 wins in 24 years AC Milan have won the Cup 5 times, Juve twice, Real 3 times, Barca twice also... it's a pure joke!
So what you're saying is that 2 Spanish clubs won it, and 2 Italian clubs won it...and that 2 English clubs won it. That all sounds pretty even to me. Let's be fair on English clubs - when 4 Spanish clubs make the quarter-finals, it will rightly described as the best league in the world. What's good for the goose...

By the way, 3 German clubs have won it during this wonderful 24 year spell you talk of. You're not going to tell me that this means German football leads the way, are you?

QuoteEnglish domination of the European Cup ended in 1984 after they won 7 out of 8 European Cups and English clubs will not dominate the competition again until they win a few more within a decent space of time!
An inarguable point. But so is the fact that English clubs are dominating this year's competition.

QuoteAs for the Premier League being the best in the world what a load of nonsense. Outside the top 4 it is utter tripe as can be witnessed by English teams involvement in the UEFA Cup final stages or lack of English involvement I should say.
Boro made the final two seasons ago. Only penalty shoot-outs denied Spurs and Everton from this year's latter stages. The record isn't abysmal. Maybe if English clubs dropped out of the Champions League at the group stage they might have a better record again?

Also, for my money, there isn't that much difference in quality between Liverpool and the 6-7 clubs chasing them in the Premiership. There is a huge difference between Liverpool and the rubbish they regularly meet in the Champions League.

QuoteAnyway I just thought I would put it out there... my own opinion would be the same as Desailly's who is basically saying that in terms of hype and interest the Premier League is the best but when talking about overall quality Spain and Italy are better.
The Premiership is miles ahead of the rest in terms of hype. Unless you happen to live in Spain that is, where two daily papers dedicate themselves to the travails of Barca and Real. Don't think for one second that football pundits in this part of the world are any more mor less biased, opinionated, right or wrong than those in Europe.

QuoteEnd of Rant

I'm just trying to apply a bit of fairness here. Your arguments were much more relevant a couple of seasons ago. Currently, English football is the strongest in Europe. The best players, the best teams and the most money can be found across the pond. For now.

Minder

It is the richest thus attracting the majority of the best players, the top end is strong but try watching Derby v Middlesbrough.......The English national team, not that is another matter........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thewobbler

True, England now boasts the best collection of footballing voyagers than the best footballers.

I would imagine that watching Catania vs Empoli, or Levante vs Murcia, would drum the senses no more or no less than Boro vs Derby.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Minder on April 01, 2008, 01:45:16 PM
It is the richest thus attracting the majority of the best players, the top end is strong but try watching Derby v Middlesbrough.......The English national team, not that is another matter........
Very true Minder.  I had the misfortune of sitting in Eastlands a few weeks back to watch Man City & Wigan inflict the worst dross possible on about 35K supporters.  I'm not kidding when I say it was worse than a bad junior football match and to think that some of thes eguys are probably picking up 40K odd a week :-\

Minder

Quote from: thewobbler on April 01, 2008, 01:52:54 PM
True, England now boasts the best collection of footballing voyagers than the best footballers.

I would imagine that watching Catania vs Empoli, or Levante vs Murcia, would drum the senses no more or no less than Boro vs Derby.

They may not appeal to many and the intensity would not interest some but you would see a higher skill level in those Spanish/Italian games than the English ones. It depends what you are after, if you get excited by crap defending, teams continuously giving the ball away and some Reading midfielder controlling the ball on his shin then the Premiership is for you.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rav67

I think it probably is at the minute due to the ridiculous money in the Premier League currently.  When you consider the manager of a team who were in the race for La Liga last year and who won the previous 2 UEFA Cups and the Copa Del Rey was happy to leave them for Spurs, because of the wages and spending power they could offer him. 

thejuice

Surely the NFL is the best league, 11 different winners in 15 years comarable to the FA Premier leagues 4 in as many years.

XXVII     Dallas Cowboys                1993   Man U
XXVIII    Dallas Cowboys                1994   Man U
XXIX      San Francisco 49ers          1995   Blackburn
XXX       Dallas Cowboys                1996   Man U
XXXI      Green Bay Packers           1997   Man U
XXXII     Denver Broncos              1998   Arsenal
XXXIII    Denver Broncos              1999   Man U
XXXIV    St. Louis Rams                2000   Man U
XXXV     Baltimore Ravens             2001   Man U
XXXVI    New England Patriots       2002   Aresnal
XXXVII  Tampa Bay Buccaneers     2003   Man U
XXXVIII  New England Patriots       2004   Arsenal
XXXIX    New England Patriots       2005   Chelsea
XL         Pittsburgh Steelers          2006   Chelsea
XLI        Indianapolis Colts             2007   Man U
XLII       New York Giants             2008   (Unlikely to be anyone other than those mentioned above)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Oriel Man

Quote from: thejuice on April 01, 2008, 03:59:53 PM
Surely the NFL is the best league, 11 different winners in 15 years comarable to the FA Premier leagues 4 in as many years.

Very good point (although I though we were comparing soccer leagues)

Of course the spread of winners in the NFL has got to do with the Draft system. Some have suggested that this should be brought into Soccer in Europe.