Galway verses Derry

Started by Oakleafer1993, March 18, 2008, 09:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodyb

The long haired foward is Matthew Clancy and he's been Derry's downfall before. (painful memeories of 2001 aisf). In fairness Joyce might have taken 5 or even 6 steps, but not as many as 12.

fer fox ache

Personally I though McEldowney was led a merry dance by Clancy throughout the first half

GaillimhIarthair

A decent display from Galway yesterday, didnt have to be particularly brilliant as Derry seemed to have left the recent good form at home.  That young Derry keeper certainly kept them in the game in the first half and some of his saves were top class.  From a Galway perspective the most encouraging aspects of yesterdays game was the displays of the backs as a unit and the performance of Big Barry at midfield.  His best game in a senior jersey yet and he really dominated his patch yesterday.  Sammon certainly has Galway playing a very good brand of football that seems to be suiting the players that he currently has at his disposal and hopefully that bodes well for the more sterner tests that lie ahead.   

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: gaagaa on March 30, 2008, 03:22:22 PM
Quote from: belleaqua on March 30, 2008, 03:07:27 PM
Half Time:
Galway 1-5 Derry 0-5
galway are bering e bit cynical though

Pot.....kettle.....black.

OakLeaf

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on March 30, 2008, 04:45:49 PM
Gaway where the better team - we should have been beaen by more. Mid field was non-existent - thats right key element in bellaghy with hang over 8)

Full back line roasted - mcloy and mcguckian - why does paddy crozier persist with that balloon francie mceldowney?......he is no county player. Diver and gerlad o'kane should have been on earlier. Murphy did nothing. Did paddy bradley go to the wedding too? -- never seen him the whole match. Deeks was the only player in the forward line who tried.

Good analysis there. Even with Fergal Doc back we need to find a partner for him. We were completely clened out in the middle of the field. Maybe Diver could do a job there but he needs to get his temprament sorted out. Gerard O'Kane looked good when he came on. Let's hope he stays injury free. Murphy and Paddy Bradley were very quiet. Deets was shaky in the first half but turned it around in the second.

I'm not convinced about Kevin Mc Guckian. I saw him getting a couple of roastings in club football last year, never mind inter-county. Against Glenullin in the county semi he was non-existent. Liam Hinphey didn't look county material on yesterday's performance.

I still think Derry have enough talent to challenge for an All-Ireland but we need another mid-fielder, Gerard O'Kane and Micky Mc Goldrick back in defence, and all of the forwards playing up to scratch.

GY Joe

Will someone post up the Irish Times report on the Galway Derry game. Thanks in advance.

GaillimhIarthair

Galway easily achieve their goals
KEITH DUGGAN at Pearse Stadium

Galway 3-9 Derry 0-13:  GALWAY DISPOSED of Derry with a smouldering, attacking performance that may have been their most complete exhibition of teamwork to date. Liam Sammon's men are breathing hard on a place in the league final while Derry, after a bright spring beginning, were taken to school here.

Paddy Crozier could have filled plenty of foolscap pages on the long coach ride back to the Oak Leaf county last night and, as he stood in the mild drizzle of Salthill, the visiting boss acknowledged that his team had been overrun where it mattered.

"We scored 13 times, Galway scored 12 times," he mused.

Goals count.

And how. But for the feline dexterity of the Limavady goalkeeper, John Deighan, Derry could have coughed up half a dozen goals here. The signs were ominous from the first minute when he somehow managed to get a paw on to Joe Bergin's low shot through traffic. After 26 minutes, Matthew Clancy was played through for a one-on-one chance by Micheál Meehan and blasted a shot that Deighan deflected over the bar.

Two minute later, he got his hands to Gary Sice's hammered effort. On 53 minutes, the Derry man denied Michael Meehan.

These were fine, reflex saves.

But there was no stopping the Galway goals. In the 17th minute, Fiachra Breathnach was hauled to the turf after a swift Galway counter attack and Meehan's penalty was perfect, hit low and with too much velocity to stop.

Pádraic Joyce's goal belongs to his lengthy inventory of outrageous scores. Again, it emanated from Meehan's clever assist pass. The Killererin man feinted to shoot right, turned on a dime and fired a brilliant left-foot shot to thrill the local crowd.

That left the score at 2-6 to 0-6 after 47 minutes.

And although Derry grimly stuck to the notion of taking something from the match, Galway always looked likely to conjure another big score. From the moment Liam Hinphey undercooked a pass out of defence, you could see the Galway attacking men align themselves for the incoming ball. This time, it was Nickey Joyce who played the ball for Matthew Clancy, who took it at speed and at the perfect angle.

Derry fans know all about Clancy and goals and the loyal travellers must have seen flashes of the All-Ireland semi-final of 2001 as Clancy delivered a cool and deadly finish across the face of the goal before wheeling away in celebration. "They could have scored another two or three only for John Deighan," nodded Crozier.

It was entirely appropriate that Clancy was the player to finish off that move. It would be interesting to clock the mileage that the Oughterard man clocks up in a match. He roved between the two half-back lines, working his socks off with no apparent fatigue.

He is flourishing under Sammon's creative reign and, along with Barry Cullinane, who was like a wrecking ball at midfield, Sice, Finian Hanley and Kieran Fitzgerald, he had an outstanding match. It must have pleased Sammon that Galway could post a significant score without any contribution from play from Meehan and with Joyce, the flamboyant strike aside, fairly subdued.

The return of Joe Bergin, with his play-anywhere facility, greatly deepens the options from Galway, with the tall man bouncing from forward to midfield. Equally, they could drop Declan Meehan from half forward to his customary half-back slot when the need arose.

Galway's smoothness around the field illuminated the troubles of the Northern men. From the beginning, they struggled to cope with the uninhibited attacking instinct of the Galway half-backs, Sice and Darren Mullahy.

Both teams engaged in cagey opening tactics. Derry landed some impressive Howitzer points from outlandish distance in the first 15 minutes. But that was partly because they had no option otherwise.

They could not get Paddy Bradley into the game and he finished without a score. Galway didn't concede a score from a free until the 17th minute and they never gave the visitors a chance to get comfortable on the ball. Loose passes were punished more often than not and Galway treated every minor tussle for possession as an important battle.

One sequence of play saw Bergin sprinting hard to close down Mark Lynch's run along the sideline and he threw a long arm at the football to force a sideline ball. It was a small moment that magnified the fact that right now Galway want to chase everything.

"We knew that this would be difficult, that it would be sort of championship for us," said Sammon. "And we asked everyone to give that extra little bit. In particular, I am pleased that we didn't concede a goal because we have been conceding two goals a game. I thought the six backs were outstanding. They manfully stuck to their task."

Derry's refusal to throw in the towel on a frustrating day was notable. Even after Clancy had sacked Derry for the third time, they responded with two points.

Conleth Gilligan tried to make things happen in the second half and they missed the influence of Fergal Doherty badly. They can chalk it up as one of those away days.

GALWAY: A Flaherty; D Burke, F Hanley, K Fitzgerald; G Sice, N Coyne, D Mullahy; N Coleman (0-1), B Cullinane; D Meehan, P Joyce (1-1), J Bergin (0-1); M Clancy (1-2), M Meehan (1-3, pen free), F Breathnach (0-1). Subs: S Armstrong for Breathnach (34 mins), D Dunleavy for N Coleman (41 mins), N Joyce for N Coyne (53 mins); C Bane for M Clancy (65 mins), M Clancy for S Armstrong (66 mins).

DERRY: J Deighan; K McGuckin, K McCloy, F McEldowney; L Hinphey, M McBride, M McIvor; E Muldoon (0-2), J Conway (0-2); M Lynch (0-2), P Murphy, B McGoldrick; C Gilligan (0-3, 2 frees), P Bradley, E Bradley (0-2). Subs: M Friel for P Murphy (half-time), C Devlin for E Bradley (54 mins inj.), G O Kane (0-1) for McBride (54 mins), J Diver (0-1) for M Friel (64 mins), J Keenan for M McIvor (69 mins).

Referee: R Hickey (Clare).

lynchbhoy

was worried about Derry leaking goals against that formidible goalscoring talent Galway posess, so with weaker much changed side I wasnt too hopeful.
On the positive side, Derry played so poorly and still were only beaten by the goals - def there is vast room for improvement and I would like to think this sets them up for better run into the latter end of the league after getting their heads well and truely grounded.
I'd be hoping for similar if I was a galwayman - that they have players to come back into the team - as Derry were rubbish on Sun, so not to get too carried away either!

In response to the pot, kettle and black comments about Derry being cynical - Jeez I just wish Derry had the wherewithal to be cynical its not in the county teams nature.

OakLeaf

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 31, 2008, 11:49:24 AM
In response to the pot, kettle and black comments about Derry being cynical - Jeez I just wish Derry had the wherewithal to be cynical its not in the county teams nature.

No kidding. That has been the main critisim of the Derry teams for this past few years .. not cynical enough! We need a few Damien Bartons  ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: OakLeaf on March 31, 2008, 12:24:10 PM

No kidding. That has been the main critisim of the Derry teams for this past few years .. not cynical enough! We need a few Damien Bartons  ;)
well if Barton takes the Derry job next year as expected - will he inject a bit of that cynacism into the squad.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 31, 2008, 01:11:01 PM

well if Barton takes the Derry job next year as expected - will he inject a bit of that cynacism into the squad.

LB why are you so confident that Barton will get it....like Crozier he has won nothing in club football management. And lets face it he has had some good teams to have won nothing with.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on March 31, 2008, 01:23:33 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 31, 2008, 01:11:01 PM

LB why are you so confident that Barton will get it....like Crozier he has won nothing in club football management. And lets face it he has had some good teams to have won nothing with.
well on that premise alone Barton is a runner for the gig

Crozier had nothing on his CV to get him the job
Barton if anything is now overqualified. Dont think Sean Boylan had any county titles under his belt in Meath club management before he took the helm either.
Its not an absolute pre-requisite.
Just voicing my opinion, based on something I heard a while ago.
I think Barton is being strongly considered if what I heard is true!

as you know from before crozier got the job, I was against it.
I would think that the Boylans of this world are one off's and a track record of progression would be something any county board would desire.
but Derry county board work in some f**king mysterious ways.

saffron sam2

Interesting how the Derry boys are going to get a new manager in to replace Crozier, based on yesterday's (admittedly gutless and inept) performance.

However IMHO there is no-one who would do a better job. Barton has done nothing to warrant mention, yet he is still a much better option than Cassidy would be (who has done even less).

One thing for sure though, you would need to hold on to your multi-millionaire, racing horse owning, Ferrari driving county chairman, because neither of those two boyos would come cheap.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

screenexile

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 31, 2008, 03:08:49 PM
Interetsing how the Derry boys are going to get a new manager in to replace Crozier, based on yesterday's (admittedly gutless and inept) performance.

However IMHO there is no-one who would do a better job. Barton has done nothing to warrant mention, yet he is still a much better option than Cassidy would be (who has done even less).

One thing for sure though, you would need to hold on to your multi-millionaire, racing horse owning, Ferrari driving county chairman, because neither of those two boyos would come cheap.

I know you're not usually one for getting the facts wrong SS2 but as far as I am aware Cassidy has won a County Senior Cship, took a relatively limited team to within touching distance of a second and also won a Tyrone U21 cship with Loughmacrory... Has Barton won anything apart from an All Ireland 7s?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: screenexile on March 31, 2008, 03:15:28 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 31, 2008, 03:08:49 PM
Interetsing how the Derry boys are going to get a new manager in to replace Crozier, based on yesterday's (admittedly gutless and inept) performance.

I know you're not usually one for getting the facts wrong SS2 but as far as I am aware Cassidy has won a County Senior Cship, took a relatively limited team to within touching distance of a second and also won a Tyrone U21 cship with Loughmacrory... Has Barton won anything apart from an All Ireland 7s?
I thought Cassidy had won more than that - also think you are doing that team a bit of a dis-service, they were not that 'limited' in my estimation - had a nice/perfect mix of skill and toughness, plus grit and doggedness.

SS2 - well the county board saved anough by appointing Paddy C to enable them to shell out for either of them or some other big money manager. rumour is they approached a BIG guy who wouldnt take the drive north from his border based home near county louth - so apparantly Barton has been tapped up already as a successor to PC.
Cassidy has gone off the scene altogether, did he take that job in Tyrone , thats the last I heard mention of him.
Although he has been hard at it for a few years and prob needed time out to recharge (and spend all that money!)