Brawl Before Cork Clare Game

Started by agorm, May 28, 2007, 08:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agorm

I am surprised that this has not been disussed. This brawl was pretty serious stuff. There needs to be an investigation into how the teams came out at the same time. But more importantly the culprits need to be identified and the appropriate suspensions handed down. After all a players get suspended for way less than this for striking and rough play DURING games. The suspensions from the Meath Mayo 1996 final should set the precedent for the suspensions.

johnneycool

Not a chance of anything happening, Frank Murphy will see to that.

bottlethrower7

great, not a thread about hurling on this board for months, then the only thing picked up on is a scuffle before the game yesterday.

typical. And we'd be jumping down the throats of the papers for doing the same thing.

shame.

AZOffaly

There's a thread on the Offaly Laois game as well BT. I'd be interested in the hurling lads opinions on the new qualifier structure there.

Dinny Breen

I find it odd that if it was footballers involved it would be a national shame, strange what hurlers get away with...

I find it even odder that by losing Clare have all but guaranteed themselves an All-Ireland quarter-final...

#newbridgeornowhere

johnneycool

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on May 28, 2007, 10:14:34 AM
great, not a thread about hurling on this board for months, then the only thing picked up on is a scuffle before the game yesterday.

typical. And we'd be jumping down the throats of the papers for doing the same thing.

shame.

Although Agorm isn't a normal hurling contributor on the site, there are a few of us floating about.

maybe the BBC will actually show a bit of the hurling tonight eh!!
;)

INDIANA

i think what was more important is the demise of clare- who were bloody awful yesterday. unless carmody and griffin are up front for clare they haven't  a hope. I laugh at the competitiveness of the munster championship- which now has 2 teams cork and waterford- one more than leinster.
On the brawl -typical sort of shite clare go on with - lohan started it coming out the tunnel but by the end of the row the clare lads were running away when diarmuid o sullivan and curren got involved. cork never got out of 1st gear and won in canter- clare are set to join the minnows i believe.

the colonel

didnt see any of it. who started it off? did it last long,

wouldn't fancy getting into a scuffle with big diarmuid!!  :'( :'(
the difference between success and failure is energy

Noname

Although Agorm isn't a normal hurling contributor on the site, there are a few of us floating about.

maybe the BBC will actually show a bit of the hurling tonight eh!!
;)

[/quote]

Of course they will show the hurling Johnny, just dont blink or you might miss it  :-\

Jinxy

Do they pay any attention to what happens in the rest of the country or is it just Ulster football on "the Championship"?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Square Ball

it wasnt a figh or a brawl but RTE had it on a caption as a "Schmozzle" well that may not be the correct spelling, but you get my drift
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

thejuice

Yeah Clare were pretty brutal, all this disruption and stand-offs in the camp has taken its toll. As for the fight, well how bad was it. looked like a load of argey-bargey, wouldnt get too excited about it. On the note of why there is not much talk of hurling on here. Well, I could be wrong but I dont see many Cork, Kilkenny, Waterford or Clare fans on here starting topics or disussing hurling. I started the thread on the NHL final and I've no connection to either team!!

I love hurling and wish Meath were a bit more competitive but its losing out to football in a big way. I remember my Dad asked to start a hurling team in the local GAA club and he was told that there was no way they'd do it. Didnt have the funds to do it apparently.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Caitlin

The culprits were the organisers who allowed two charged up teams to meet at full tilt in the tunnel.I saw a Clare man shove Donal Og Cusack, who retaliated with the butt of his hurl and it went on from there. Anthony Daly called it right- what do you expect in such a scenario ? And the comparisons with soccer are silly- at the big games, the teams are meant to walk out together with mascots etc. We are the GAA- there is no better feeling than hitting the pitch at speed for a championship game .Just make sure that two teams don't collide!

full back

According to the GAA Clare were to come out first with Cork 3 mins later, but Cork didnt know what time to come out!!
There is also a bit of an issue that the 'schmozzle' happened in front of Primary School children who were forming a guard of honour for the teams

agorm

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on May 28, 2007, 10:14:34 AM

shame.

Get lost Bottlethrower, I dont need to apologise to anyone about my committment to hurling, this just happened to be the first big hurling game of the championship and they were a disgrace. Kids around and all, in actual fact as the game had not started the guards should have been called in.

If the hurling fraternity cannot see what is wrong with that then maybe there is a message there in itself. From what I hear they were at it at the start of the Offaly Laois game as well. I actually prefer hurling to football and am trying to get my children to play and buid up a love of the game.

In future comment on the topic or ignore the topic if you have nothing to comment on it.

P.S. - I didnt notice too many threads on Hurling from your good self!!!