Mayo's (Where football is life) 3 greatest players

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, October 29, 2009, 01:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2009, 12:17:20 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 05, 2009, 12:52:26 AM
Quote from: blast05 on November 04, 2009, 10:16:12 PM
QuoteOffbeat questions ...... what Mayo midfielder kicked most scores from play in a league or championship game in the last 15 years (maybe more, i can't recall beyond that) ?

Back to this question ...... Answer: Colm McMenamon no less - 7 pts from play

Name the year, place and opponents ?? ?? ??  Yes, it is either NFL or championship

As it is extremely unlike that Colm Mc scored seven points in one game and six in another, I take it you are referring to the six he scored against Kilkenny in 1997? According to the bould Willie Joe he did so from centre-half forward (still incredible given his shooting problems). I reckon Brady's three points in 04 aren't far off. From championship at least.

Link here - last listing at bottom of page

http://mayogaablog.com/?page_id=490

That team has an M. McNicholas Midfield with David Brady, surely that wasn't Marty wearing 9?

Saw that myself. Marty was 16 at the time and a sub on the Breaffy Junior team so definitely not him! Can't place any other M McNicholas though. There's a few by that name from Swinford/Kiltimagh way but I can't name one. Maybe someone here can fill in the gap . . .
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Billys Boots

QuoteColm McMenamon

Jaysus, I'd have believed one about Francie Bellew kicking points before yer man!!  :o
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

HowAreYeGettinOn

On topic - from what I've seen;

Padden
McDonald
Ken Mortimer

saffronandblue

Was not trying to be in anyway smart about that Castlebar forward, total ignorance on my part, I had no idea the lad got injured and had to pack it in. Another potential superstar lost to Mayo football :(

Should have put Kevin Cahill on my list, we never replaced him at full back, which shows how valuable he was to Mayo.

muppet

Quote from: saffronandblue on November 05, 2009, 02:25:47 PM
Was not trying to be in anyway smart about that Castlebar forward, total ignorance on my part, I had no idea the lad got injured and had to pack it in. Another potential superstar lost to Mayo football :(

Should have put Kevin Cahill on my list, we never replaced him at full back, which shows how valuable he was to Mayo.

No problem I didn't read it that way.
MWWSI 2017

rosnarun

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 05, 2009, 01:28:53 PM
QuoteColm McMenamon

Jaysus, I'd have believed one about Francie Bellew kicking points before yer man!!  :o
he was actually always good for a point or two a game . an unfairly maligned player. heart of a lion, a fighter to the end
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on November 06, 2009, 01:09:06 AM
QuoteColm McMenamon

he was actually always good for a point or two a game . an unfairly maligned player. heart of a lion, a fighter to the end

Yip. Spot on.

Bod Mor

Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: saffronandblue on November 05, 2009, 02:25:47 PM

We had a few good ones before Kevin too.
In my time, we had Vincent Nally, Ray Prendergast and Peter Ford. Funny how after a long spell of good no. 3s we have had to wait so long for some one to fill that particular position.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RedandGreenSniper

The full-backs on each of the last two minor teams have been very good - Kevin Keane and Keith Rogers. We'll have to see how they develop but we are getting a better type of defender coming through under Ray Dempsey.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Billys Boots

Quote from: moysider on November 06, 2009, 01:38:23 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on November 06, 2009, 01:09:06 AM
QuoteColm McMenamon

Yip. Spot on.

I wasn't really having a go, he was indeed a mighty worker, but he did need more time than he was ever going to get at intercounty level to take his points (when he got the opportunity). 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlKDwD6OpHE&feature=related

In the above video Mac show how not to solo the ball Tomas O'Sé style (left hand to right foot) but then hits an accurate pass along the sideline which sets up a point. He was more accurate with the foot than people think.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: muppet on November 06, 2009, 02:50:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlKDwD6OpHE&feature=related

In the above video Mac show how not to solo the ball Tomas O'Sé style (left hand to right foot) but then hits an accurate pass along the sideline which sets up a point. He was more accurate with the foot than people think.

Thanks for the happy memories, muppet. Colm Mac was one of my all-time favourites. He could never be accused of failing to give it his best from start to finish.
Okay, he had more of the Liam McHale way of soloing than the ‘Jinking Joe’ Corcoran one but he had to have the ball before he could do anything with it and Colm sure won a lot of ball.
John Casey was in mighty form that day, wasn’t he?
I just couldn’t help thinking as I saw your video clip that it was an almighty pity that we didn’t have a John Casey with half of Colm Mac’s heart and energy and a Colm Mac with half of Casey’s ball skills and it would have been a case of, “Yeeehaw, Sam Maguire is coming home to Mayo!” ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

whitey

Ah Colm Mac.  What a great player. Didn't he have a stint with some Ozzie outfit.

I remember seeing him shoulder some young fella at under age-almost sent him out of the Park. I think he got a lot of hois strength from the mullet he used to sport as a teenager

Farrandeelin

McMenamon was one who never shirked a challenge anyway. He was so determined. I remember when I was kicking ball with my dad in the garden at home and if I'd kick it out over the sideline it'd be a "Colm McMenamon shot", but he was as strong as an ox. Did he play a bit with Burrishoole this year in the league?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.