What's your relationship with alcohol?

Started by Boycey, October 12, 2018, 11:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Baile an tuaigh

I don't drink at all. Took the Confirmation pledge not to drink and kept it going. I used to work in a nightclub as well but never touched it.

Boycey

Drank gallons and gallons in my time although very little nowadays but never ever at home. Drinking was/is a social game for me, elbow on the counter, few mates around me for the craic/slagging is what its about. Different strokes for different folks I guess

Capt Pat

I don't drink any more. I gave up before I had to and don't miss it. I was only ever a social drinker and never drank at home.

Ambrose

Retailers have recorded a 58%increase in the volume of alcohol sales week on week this week, compared to this time last year.
Increases of between 22% and 30%t have been reported in earlier weeks of the Covid-19 restrictions.
It comes as a study in the UK found 20% of people say they are drinking more since the Covid-19 lockdown began.
Eunan McKinney, of Alcohol Action Ireland, says since the pubs closed it was inevitable there would be some increased buying but 58% is higher than expected.
"We don't know whether people are necessarily [drinking more]," he said.
"Obviously all pubs are closed and licensed premises are closed, therefore I suppose there may be some degree of displacement of activity. At 58% it certainly would be up and away and beyond [what was expected]."
You can't live off history and tradition forever

imtommygunn

The question is though - with pubs being shut is that actually an increase in the amount of alcohol being sold overall? I would doubt it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 19, 2020, 01:01:30 PM
The question is though - with pubs being shut is that actually an increase in the amount of alcohol being sold overall? I would doubt it.

Yeah cause generally at the weekend the town is busy with restaurants open for lunch food and drinks . Some may stay out then you've the early brigade in around 4 ish few drinks early bird menu and more drinks! Theatre maybe and so on, then the kids, blattered right through till 4 in the morning.

Intake would be way down I'd imagine, I never drank too much in the house till about the time my kids were about 6/7 got them off to bed relaxed with a glass or two of wine!

I'd have nipped out maybe to watch the odd champions league games back in the day, but 2/3 pints at most mid week.

I can't see the younger generation mid 20's drinking too much in the house during lockdown, wouldn't have the same attraction

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

People would always end up drinking more in crowds with rounds etc. I would say alcohol consumption has probably reduced a lot.  I have a beer or two in the house. If I was in a bar it'd be five or six. (Not every week but every odd week say). I would say my alcohol and food consumption is down a good bit.

I guess it won't be the same for everyone but you now have to go out and get it too rather then it being on tap in front of you.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Bottle of wine every Friday or Saturday night, sometimes might go to bottle with a, sneaky extra glass. Very rarely drink 2 nights in a row anymore unless on holidays. Go out 4-5 times a year outside Xmas. I've had a few midweek drinks last week as I've eventually got working from home.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: marty34 on April 18, 2020, 02:58:44 PM
Why do people drink?  I don't get it.

Nobody has ever gave me a good reason - to balance up the hangover etc.

It helps people to socialize. If you do it in moderation it can be enough to loosen up your tongue and help everyone relax, but take much more than one or two drinks and you end up with annoying (or worse) behaviour plus the hangover.

BennyCake

I think drink is over-relied upon in this country. Every occasion seems to have to involve drinking. Very unhealthy state of affairs.

Sitting down on a week night, well you wouldn't drink 5 or 6 pints of milk, juice, water etc. I mean, how thirsty are you?  ;D

Milltown Row2

Good amount of sensible drinkers about here plenty non smokers and lads that never dabbled in any other activities!

Probably still go to mass,  great to see
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 19, 2020, 11:43:09 PM
Good amount of sensible drinkers about here plenty non smokers and lads that never dabbled in any other activities!

The reality is most on this forum are middle aged to auld bucks who have done the drinking lark, when their bodies were stronger. Most know the pitfalls of drinking if you continue to overuse later into your life.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 20, 2020, 12:20:24 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 19, 2020, 11:43:09 PM

The reality is most on this forum are middle aged to auld bucks who have done the drinking lark, when their bodies were stronger. Most know the pitfalls of drinking if you continue to overuse later into your life.

At 48 I'm a young buck then

Stronger? I'm in better shape now than in my twenties! Overindulgence will kill most people at some point.

Sure when we get multiple pandemics we'll be dead soon enough! If a couple of glasses of red wine will make pitfalls for me later on in  life, so be it. I've had a good run ;D

JohnDenver

I would guess you see an increase in alcohol consumption amongst footballers or a fair few sports now, given that normally there would have been weekend games or training which would have kept them off the beer for one if not two nights at the weekend, and possibly even more than that.  Obviously not the same as heading out on the lash with teammates or that, but i suppose it gives the chance to have a few cans in the house.