The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

I got the impression that fella wandered into that shot rather than an "invited guest". He was holding a mug of tea so presumably lives nearby. I think you are being too hard on BOD as he probably represents a lot of people down south who have been insulated from what has happened up here and accordingly know very little and care even less.

michaelg

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 23, 2018, 09:03:50 PM
I got the impression that fella wandered into that shot rather than an "invited guest". He was holding a mug of tea so presumably lives nearby. I think you are being too hard on BOD as he probably represents a lot of people down south who have been insulated from what has happened up here and accordingly know very little and care even less.
Just thought it was a pretty poor documentary.  Assuming he got handsomely paid for his endeavours, the least he could have done was  carry out a bit of research in advance.  Had he done so, perhaps he would have been able to tease out some of the interesting points relating to identity which you referred to above.

square_ball

In fairness his target audience was the English so it was not exactly going to be groundbreaking for people here.

Taylor

Quote from: michaelg on October 23, 2018, 09:34:32 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 23, 2018, 09:03:50 PM
Just thought it was a pretty poor documentary.  Assuming he got handsomely paid for his endeavours, the least he could have done was  carry out a bit of research in advance.  Had he done so, perhaps he would have been able to tease out some of the interesting points relating to identity which you referred to above.

Agree, I thought it was a piss poor documentary. Little or no insight or depth

pbat

Lads looking into Japan next year. I am thinking of waiting and go out for the Japan game and get the last 3 group games. That's from the 28th Sept - 12th Oct. Also might stay till the weekend of the 20th to take in the quarter final. But if I did I would maybe fly out of Japan for 5-6 days to take in some sun and maybe somewhere cheaper for a week. Any suggestions that would be worth looking into that are 2-3 hours flight from Tokyo?

Walter Cronc

I reckon the Phillipines could be worth a shout pbat. Apparently a great spot. Like Thailand only cheaper.

Insane Bolt

England get hometown decision at end.....to be fair if I was English I would say correct decision.....if SA feel hard done by. Still feel Boks will be bigger threat come World Cup.

screenexile

Quote from: Insane Bolt on November 03, 2018, 05:30:37 PM
England get hometown decision at end.....to be fair if I was English I would say correct decision.....if SA feel hard done by. Still feel Boks will be bigger threat come World Cup.

Boks made too many mistakes... the drop goal was on at the end but they didn't go for it when they should have.

England were dominated for large parts of the game bound to be worrying for them!

screenexile

Walk in the park as expected ... Tadhg Beirne is some player fantastic the competition in the 2nd and back row is great. Henderson will be getting worried I think!

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: michaelg on October 23, 2018, 08:25:32 PM
Not sure if the recent BT Shoulder to Sholder documentary has been discussed yet on this thread.   Despite his expensive education, BOD is clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  Complete lack of empathy displayed throughout.  Also, time given to Belfast Republican sympathiser seemed misplaced given segment that followed relating to Ulster players injured in IRA bomb on return from Ireland training camp before the 18987 World Cup.  "Wrong place, wrong time" was how BOD dexcribed it.  Never mind the fact that the bomb should not have been exploded in the first place.  Poor documentary with little insight provided.
An expensive private education doesn't mean anything
If you're not the sharpest then exclusivity won't remedy it

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 04, 2018, 12:16:36 AM
Quote from: michaelg on October 23, 2018, 08:25:32 PM
Not sure if the recent BT Shoulder to Sholder documentary has been discussed yet on this thread.   Despite his expensive education, BOD is clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  Complete lack of empathy displayed throughout.  Also, time given to Belfast Republican sympathiser seemed misplaced given segment that followed relating to Ulster players injured in IRA bomb on return from Ireland training camp before the 18987 World Cup.  "Wrong place, wrong time" was how BOD dexcribed it.  Never mind the fact that the bomb should not have been exploded in the first place.  Poor documentary with little insight provided.
An expensive private education doesn't mean anything
If you're not the sharpest then exclusivity won't remedy it

Your own education was not inexpensive, possibly quite expensive depending on the state school you attended.

O'Driscoll's family like many in RoI were prepared and able to buy a different education from that available from the state.  There was no guarantee of the educational outcome for their son but attending Blackrock opened so many other doors for him him both sporting and social in RoI.  That's what his parents bought for him.

Tony Baloney

He didn't go to Eton  ::). Day fees when he was at school would have been less than 5 grand a year.

screenexile

Seriously impressive from the English so far!