Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: The Bearded One on October 30, 2018, 09:43:19 AM
First marathon completed and a huge itch scratched!

I have to say it really was a fantastic experience. I trained towards a 3.30 time and finished in 3.25. I felt fairly comfortable throughout and had a plan to keep it nice and steady until I got over that infamous hill and then push a little harder for home and I stuck to the plan. Enjoyed the last 3 miles despite a bit of cramp that took about 20 seconds to stretch out. Once I saw the finish line in sight and knew my 3.30 target was safe I eased off and soaked up the atmosphere which was unbelievable! Managed to stop for a hug with the family near the end and that started the tears, it was an emotional moment.

The event itself is a credit to all those involved in making it happen. From the expo to the finish line and beyond, everyone I encountered had a smile and a word of encouragement and the support along the route was incredible. Well done to everyone else here who made the start line, hope you all got around it ok.
Well done and fair play,delighted you enjoyed it and a great time also,you'll be back next year!The support gets better every year in Dublin. The last mile is incredible.
Things didn't go according to plan for me,had trained very well and everything pointed towards a sub 4hr Marathon and I was very confident but I unexpectedly cramped badly around half way and it was a bit of a death march from then on. I finished it though and will be back next year.The wife and kids were waiting for me at mile 21 on the Clonskeagh Road and it was great seeing them as I was in a world of pain at that stage.

Don't understand the cramping at all as it never happens in training,and the last time I cramped was in my last Marathon in 2016.
I did an 18 mile Marathon Pace run(9min/mile) about 5 weeks ago and flew through it and 3 weeks ago I did a 20mile run with the final 10 miles at Marathon pace and finished it feeling very fresh and could have ran further. Sunday was just one of those days I suppose,was disappointing but not the end of the world.

Kudos also to formerly of this parish Bingo who finished in an incredible 2:52,he gave me great advice before it and had nice words for me afterwards.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

Well done to all the marathoners - I don't know how ye do it. Fair play to ye.

No1

Let me know if you boys are planning a recce of the Christmas Cracker in December.  I signed up in a moment of madness after swearing blind I'd never do it again!  No way could it be as brutal as last year, could it???

laoislad

Only on sale since November 1st there is 16000 entries sold for Dublin Marathon 2019, they reckon it will be sold out by Christmas as there is only 4000 places  left
It took until May to be sold out for 2018.
First year I did it in 2014 I didn't sign up until 3 months before it and it didn't sell out until early September.
Crazy how popular it has become.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thebar

Quote from: No1 on November 21, 2018, 03:24:31 PM
Let me know if you boys are planning a recce of the Christmas Cracker in December.  I signed up in a moment of madness after swearing blind I'd never do it again!  No way could it be as brutal as last year, could it???

I done that last year it was worse than hell parts of that course ground like a bog in parts!

lfdown2

Quote from: thebar on November 28, 2018, 10:25:29 AM

I done that last year it was worse than hell parts of that course ground like a bog in parts!

I hear rumours this years is solely confined to the park due to the costs required for running on public roads. Missed last years and will miss this years due to wedding anniversary, pity as would do a lot of my running in the park

Walt Jabsco

No.1 I will have a word with the Prophet to see what  the recee arrangements are and let you know. Will probably be doing sweeper again no training required just warm clothes and a thick skin if last year was anything to go by. There was no running involved only walking as the tailenders  were close to 3 hours and that was after rerouting them. Are you doing with Rinty?

Yes rumours are correct mostly in the Park but still could be brutal

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on November 28, 2018, 01:17:01 PM
No.1 I will have a word with the Prophet to see what  the recee arrangements are and let you know. Will probably be doing sweeper again no training required just warm clothes and a thick skin if last year was anything to go by. There was no running involved only walking as the tailenders  were close to 3 hours and that was after rerouting them. Are you doing with Rinty?

Yes rumours are correct mostly in the Park but still could be brutal

Link?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No1

http://www.newcastleac.org/?page_id=13260

Sold out!

Thanks Walt.  I'm supposed to be doing it with GK, Rinty is running with Scully (if he returns from Oz)!

Hurt the calf yesterday so I'll just have to play it by ear.  Haven't made to the start line of any race I've entered this year, I think my body is trying to tell me something.  >:(

New legislation and costs for racing on the road are ridiculous.  Lots of decent races fell by the wayside this year.  Don't know how councils square it with their Health & Well Being policies.

Walt Jabsco

MR2 the quirky concept of the Cracker is that the route changes every year along with being a pairs race and everyone wants to know the route to recce to get a guide time. Are you thinking of entering as the quota of 700 pairs has been reached

Walt Jabsco

Changes to the team makeup is allowed up to a cut off date(usually Christmas Eve), just fill in the form on the website with the changes.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on November 28, 2018, 02:21:07 PM
MR2 the quirky concept of the Cracker is that the route changes every year along with being a pairs race and everyone wants to know the route to recce to get a guide time. Are you thinking of entering as the quota of 700 pairs has been reached

Thats a shame, thats the type of thing that I'm looking into now, getting stale with going to the gym and while I'm still involved with GAA though no playing role, I havent the time for triathlon training anymore but running is handier!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thebar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2018, 02:43:07 PM
Quote from: Walt Jabsco on November 28, 2018, 02:21:07 PM

Thats a shame, thats the type of thing that I'm looking into now, getting stale with going to the gym and while I'm still involved with GAA though no playing role, I havent the time for triathlon training anymore but running is handier!

Keep an eye out anyhow Milltown not uncommon for a few places to come up closer to the event due to few teams dropping out.

Orior

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 28, 2018, 12:18:58 PM
Quote from: thebar on November 28, 2018, 10:25:29 AM

I hear rumours this years is solely confined to the park due to the costs required for running on public roads. Missed last years and will miss this years due to wedding anniversary, pity as would do a lot of my running in the park

There are not many things better than getting your first pair of cross-country spikes.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Walt Jabsco

Leave the XC spikes at home for this one. Trail/Fell shoes more suited