Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Knock parish doesn't have a GAA club - a rare situation in Mayo football. Players there have the choice of playing for Kiltimagh, Eastern Gaels or Aghamore. Most go to Aghamore, former Mayo goalkeeper Peter Burke would be an example of someone who went to Kiltimagh. Very few go to Eastern Gaels cos they'd be weak enough.
Their pick isn't huge though, Aghamore itself is a small area, most of Kilkelly is linked to Kilmovee Shamrocks as far as I know (Kilmovee split from Aghamore in the early 80's I think.

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 03, 2008, 03:20:18 PM
Not near favourites Stonewall.
We hit a purple patch against Ballina and were lucky really with the goals. I dont believe Ballina performed on the day.
Breaffy beat Mitchles who had 11 players that played county. Thats no small feat. Surely they would be hotly tipped with the two O Sheas.
Also Aughamore beat us well early in the championship season, they are a a class act as well and have been winning loads at Bord Na nOg in recent times. And besides its impossible to get lads out training this time of year with college and stuff. 8 or 10 is no good. Its not going to happen id say.  :(

Ha ha times are getting bad if your playing the spin doctor before a county under 21 semi AbbeySider! :D
By my count ye have at least seven of yer starting 15 from the Ballina game who played county. Breaffy have only four lads so by that logic ye'd have to be red hot favourites. Ah sure I'm sure Breaffy will go along for a look anyway  ;)
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 04, 2008, 11:14:40 AM
Knock parish doesn't have a GAA club - a rare situation in Mayo football. Players there have the choice of playing for Kiltimagh, Eastern Gaels or Aghamore. Most go to Aghamore, former Mayo goalkeeper Peter Burke would be an example of someone who went to Kiltimagh. Very few go to Eastern Gaels cos they'd be weak enough.
Their pick isn't huge though, Aghamore itself is a small area, most of Kilkelly is linked to Kilmovee Shamrocks as far as I know (Kilmovee split from Aghamore in the early 80's I think.

We hit a purple patch against Ballina and were lucky really with the goals. I dont believe Ballina performed on the day.
Breaffy beat Mitchles who had 11 players that played county. Thats no small feat. Surely they would be hotly tipped with the two O Sheas.
Also Aughamore beat us well early in the championship season, they are a a class act as well and have been winning loads at Bord Na nOg in recent times. And besides its impossible to get lads out training this time of year with college and stuff. 8 or 10 is no good. Its not going to happen id say.  :(

Ha ha times are getting bad if your playing the spin doctor before a county under 21 semi AbbeySider! :D
By my count ye have at least seven of yer starting 15 from the Ballina game who played county. Breaffy have only four lads so by that logic ye'd have to be red hot favourites. Ah sure I'm sure Breaffy will go along for a look anyway  ;)

Spin?  :D  :D
No spin im afraid and no expectations for this team really RedandGreenSniper!
I think only two of the team are full U-21's so nearly all of them are U-21 again next year.
Westport next Saturday at 2:30pm. Might go for a look too  ;)

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 04, 2008, 11:31:50 AM

Spin?  :D  :D
No spin im afraid and no expectations for this team really RedandGreenSniper!
I think only two of the team are full U-21's so nearly all of them are U-21 again next year.
Westport next Saturday at 2:30pm. Might go for a look too  ;)

Ha ha! Well Breaffy have only one full Under 21 (Seamus O'Shea) so ye have us on that one too!! I won't be able to go myself, unless someone wants to fly me back from Australia! But there's no point really anyway, Ballintubber usually get the upper hand  ;D

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 04, 2008, 11:39:51 AM
Ha ha! Well Breaffy have only one full Under 21 (Seamus O'Shea) so ye have us on that one too!! I won't be able to go myself, unless someone wants to fly me back from Australia! But there's no point really anyway, Ballintubber usually get the upper hand  ;D

Sure you might make it home for the final between yourselves and Aughamore !  :P  :P   :D

Farrandeelin

Minor final is on Saturday cos of the Knockmore ladies on the Sunday.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

where exactly does easten gaels cover ? is it Brcikens or is there more to it than that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

highking

Brickens and Bekan.

Bekan parish stretches from the back of Ballyhaunis Pitch all the way to within a mile of Knock. Brickens covers most of the road from Ballyhaunis to Claremorris. Its a big enough area but with sparce population. Only two National Schools (Bekan and Logboy) feed into the club. A lot of the Logboys go to play with Ballyhaunis also, so they really only have one and a half schools feeding the club.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 04, 2008, 02:52:44 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 04, 2008, 11:39:51 AM

Sure you might make it home for the final between yourselves and Aughamore !  :P  :P   :D

I hate being right and I'd say you've never been happier being wrong Abbeysider  :(

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 10, 2008, 05:37:27 AM
I hate being right and I'd say you've never been happier being wrong Abbeysider  :(

Ya RGS I have had a goofy smile on my face since the match.  ;D
Great game, epic battle in the conditions. Kudos to westport for having one of the only pitches in the county that was able to hold the fixture. Before the match there was a downpour that would drown you. It lashed so hard I thought the pitch would be water logged. In Westport there was a film of a few inches of water on the pitch but people were assured that it would dispense in less than 15 minutes, and it did! Remarkably the water disappeared and pitch held up fine during the game.

I think Ballintubber lead all the way through the game, but only by the narrowest of margins at times. We started off playing against a strong wind, and we were working a lot harder for our scores but after 15 minutes or we rattled the net and it gave us somewhat of a cousin. We went in at half time one or two points ahead and knew we had a strong wind in the second half.

In the end the goal was the difference, 1-8 to 8 points. I think Ballintubber deserved the victory as we had more scoring forwards than Breaffy. I thought Breaffy relied too much on O Shea. He seemed to be playing a bit for from the posts to do any real damage. Jennings, the number 2 for Breaffy was very solid and many peoples man of the match. He seemed to be in the right place at the right time when we were sending in long balls in the second half. He kept Breaffy in it. We lost Dean Gavin before half time with a shoulder injury, thought the team showed great character by pushing on and not hanging the heads.

Aidan O Shea was brilliant, if a bit awkward at times in the second half. He probably won mid-field in the first half but I think Ballintubber were on top in the second. The wind may have helped. O Shea is very strong but its hard to know if he has the pace for senior inter county in a few years. I cant see him being anything past a Full Forward at that level but time will tell. Again he was too deep, especially against the wind in the second half to do any damage. Our backs were brilliant as a unit. Michael Nestor at full back was playing like he was born for it. Some great displayes from the others too. All the Ballintubber forwards gave Breaffy lots to worry about really but I couldnt pick anyone out as they were all honest.

The referee was very poor and let everything go on both sides. It was like you had to be fouled 3 times before he would blow the whistle. Very dangerous considering the conditions. Insane really when I think back of some of the stuff he was letting go. Breaffy got 2 players sent off, maybe a bit harsh but they lost their discipline in the dying minutes. O Shea seemed to be persistently fouling / going in hard and got sent to the line for a second bookable offence. The first Breaffy lad was sent off for lashing out and kicking a Ballintubber player as they jogged away. It happened straight in front of the referee but the game was over at that stage as Breaffy never really looked like getting a goal / three points against the wind.

All in all a good game though, lots of thrills and spills.

I think Aughamore are playing Ballinrobe next weekend in the 1/4 and then the winners are playing Westport the following week in the semi final.   

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 10, 2008, 09:21:07 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 10, 2008, 05:37:27 AM

Ya RGS I have had a goofy smile on my face since the match.  ;D
Great game, epic battle in the conditions. Kudos to westport for having one of the only pitches in the county that was able to hold the fixture. Before the match there was a downpour that would drown you. It lashed so hard I thought the pitch would be water logged. In Westport there was a film of a few inches of water on the pitch but people were assured that it would dispense in less than 15 minutes, and it did! Remarkably the water disappeared and pitch held up fine during the game.

I think Ballintubber lead all the way through the game, but only by the narrowest of margins at times. We started off playing against a strong wind, and we were working a lot harder for our scores but after 15 minutes or we rattled the net and it gave us somewhat of a cousin. We went in at half time one or two points ahead and knew we had a strong wind in the second half.

In the end the goal was the difference, 1-8 to 8 points. I think Ballintubber deserved the victory as we had more scoring forwards than Breaffy. I thought Breaffy relied too much on O Shea. He seemed to be playing a bit for from the posts to do any real damage. Jennings, the number 2 for Breaffy was very solid and many peoples man of the match. He seemed to be in the right place at the right time when we were sending in long balls in the second half. He kept Breaffy in it. We lost Dean Gavin before half time with a shoulder injury, thought the team showed great character by pushing on and not hanging the heads.

Aidan O Shea was brilliant, if a bit awkward at times in the second half. He probably won mid-field in the first half but I think Ballintubber were on top in the second. The wind may have helped. O Shea is very strong but its hard to know if he has the pace for senior inter county in a few years. I cant see him being anything past a Full Forward at that level but time will tell. Again he was too deep, especially against the wind in the second half to do any damage. Our backs were brilliant as a unit. Michael Nestor at full back was playing like he was born for it. Some great displayes from the others too. All the Ballintubber forwards gave Breaffy lots to worry about really but I couldnt pick anyone out as they were all honest.

The referee was very poor and let everything go on both sides. It was like you had to be fouled 3 times before he would blow the whistle. Very dangerous considering the conditions. Insane really when I think back of some of the stuff he was letting go. Breaffy got 2 players sent off, maybe a bit harsh but they lost their discipline in the dying minutes. O Shea seemed to be persistently fouling / going in hard and got sent to the line for a second bookable offence. The first Breaffy lad was sent off for lashing out and kicking a Ballintubber player as they jogged away. It happened straight in front of the referee but the game was over at that stage as Breaffy never really looked like getting a goal / three points against the wind.

All in all a good game though, lots of thrills and spills.

I think Aughamore are playing Ballinrobe next weekend in the 1/4 and then the winners are playing Westport the following week in the semi final.  

Good update Abbeysider. Haven't heard too much from the Breaffy lads but I heard ye deserved it alright.
I honestly think we were always up against it without Seamie O'Shea and Paul Curry. I'd have been more confident with them involved but whether we would have won is still debatable.
As regards Aidan O'Shea I think he will make it at centre-half forward for Mayo or midfield. Full-forward also an option. I know he's not blessed with lightning pace but he's not cumbersome either. In full flight he's very hard to stop. Ciaran McDonald doesn't have electric pace, nor Darragh O Se, I think its a huge part of the modern game but it can be combensated for if enough of the other attributes are strong and I think they are in Aidan's case. As you say time will tell.

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 12, 2008, 01:29:52 AM
Good update Abbeysider. Haven't heard too much from the Breaffy lads but I heard ye deserved it alright.
I honestly think we were always up against it without Seamie O'Shea and Paul Curry. I'd have been more confident with them involved but whether we would have won is still debatable.
As regards Aidan O'Shea I think he will make it at centre-half forward for Mayo or midfield. Full-forward also an option. I know he's not blessed with lightning pace but he's not cumbersome either. In full flight he's very hard to stop. Ciaran McDonald doesn't have electric pace, nor Darragh O Se, I think its a huge part of the modern game but it can be combensated for if enough of the other attributes are strong and I think they are in Aidan's case. As you say time will tell.

Maybe Seamie O'Shea and Paul Curry would have made a difference. We were missing Liam Tunney and lost Dean Gavin after a few minutes so both sides were a little weakened.
Some nice footballers on that Breaffy U21 team that I mentioned before. They are certainly a club with somewhat of a future as the senior team is relatively young too. Still cant see Aidan O Shea having the pace for the big stuff but time will tell.
Ciaran McDonald is known for winning sprints at county training (so im told) and I think he always had great pace; he wasnt moving too slowly up along the Hogan in 06 to get the winner. And that was nearing the end of his county career.

AbbeySider

The HoganStand make me laugh at times.  :D

Championship finals still going
13 November 2008

We may be in mid-November, but the backlog of fixtures has seen that some of this year's championships are still to be decided with two being played on Sunday.

Last weekend saw the minor B final between St Gerard's and Burrishoole postponed due to bad weather, but that has been rescheduled for this Sunday at Kiltimagh.

Also on this weekend is the meeting of Achill and Ballaghderreen in the county under-21 B final, which sees the senior champions the opportunity to bounce back from their defeat in the Connacht club SFC semi final last weekend.

Achill are an emerging club and a win here would establish them as a force to be reckoned with over the next few years, but they will find the going tough against Sunday's opponents, who have a number of senior players in their ranks.

How many times have I read slogans like that dawning the threads of the HoganStand?
I wonder where that reporter is from?  ::)

rosnarun

Quotenearing the end of his county career.
??? 

What have you heard :'(
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

the Deel Rover

Quote from: rosnarun on November 15, 2008, 01:39:14 AM
Quotenearing the end of his county career.
??? 

What have you heard :'(

Ah come on ros you must realise it at this stage
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mannix

in heard he has a little junior mac to mind, the lad was treated very poorly by the "messiah". Apparently Mayo have 6 betterforwards than macdonald, just to get them to show their brilliance now is the thing.