Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 26, 2018, 03:32:21 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2018, 03:28:38 PM
Dermot Early's stepped down . . .

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dermot-earley-steps-down-as-gpa-chief-executive-36534364.html

What do the GPA currently do? Serious question. I'm not trying to lead, but what are they actually currently involved in? I know they are helping GAA players for life after the GAA (my Father did some work with them regarding interview techniques, CV preparation etc) but aside from that, what are they at? Is there still furore over player welfare etc, or is all that gone by the wayside?

In fairness they've improved player welfare immeasurably. . . I think that work is done though what they do now I'm not so sure of!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2018, 03:44:54 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 26, 2018, 03:32:21 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 26, 2018, 03:28:38 PM
Dermot Early's stepped down . . .

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dermot-earley-steps-down-as-gpa-chief-executive-36534364.html

What do the GPA currently do? Serious question. I'm not trying to lead, but what are they actually currently involved in? I know they are helping GAA players for life after the GAA (my Father did some work with them regarding interview techniques, CV preparation etc) but aside from that, what are they at? Is there still furore over player welfare etc, or is all that gone by the wayside?

In fairness they've improved player welfare immeasurably. . . I think that work is done though what they do now I'm not so sure of!

You mean the welfare that is the horrendous January-April schedule? That work is far from fecking done.

Rossfan

Young Dermot going back to the army so they'll need a new CEO.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Scarlet

They seem to not want to rock the boat at all any longer and make any serious inroads into fixture BS, which is a massive issue.
From the outside there seems to be a lot of photo ops about 'great talks' and initiatives with the same faces popping up in them all.
Would it not be better served coming in officially and have more transparency. Genuine question here, but what are the CEO wages?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 26, 2018, 04:44:28 PM
They seem to not want to rock the boat at all any longer and make any serious inroads into fixture BS, which is a massive issue.
From the outside there seems to be a lot of photo ops about 'great talks' and initiatives with the same faces popping up in them all.
Would it not be better served coming in officially and have more transparency. Genuine question here, but what are the CEO wages?

The average employee earns €77,000.

Colm O'Rourke- Irish Independent

shark

Well whatever they are Dermot Earley won't have seen much left after paying emergency tax every month. As he said in the indo article, he had a decision to make, and obviously didn't think it was a job worth leaving the Defence Forces for.

Syferus

Quote from: shark on January 26, 2018, 05:07:31 PM

Well whatever they are Dermot Earley won't have seen much left after paying emergency tax every month. As he said in the indo article, he had a decision to make, and obviously didn't think it was a job worth leaving the Defence Forces for.

Dermot Jr's decision had many more factors to it than simple remuneration.

shark

Quote from: Syferus on January 26, 2018, 06:17:45 PM
Quote from: shark on January 26, 2018, 05:07:31 PM

Dermot Jr's decision had many more factors to it than simple remuneration.

No doubt. My point was that he couldn't have held they status quo long term, and had to make a call. If he was a man solely chasing money then he wouldn't still be in the army.

joemamas

Just read Joe Brollys comments on GPA , spot on IMO.
They don't disclose who and how much gets paid what.
Are they full time or part time ?.
Wonder what the ratio of their salaries are as to what individual players in D3 and D4 get in annual mileage etc.

Probably a good idea in the very beginning as I am sure a lot of players were begging for mileage allowance, healthcare, but the lack of transparency and their mega fund raising dinners in the US
just raises a lot of genuine questions that apparently will not be answered.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: joemamas on November 11, 2019, 03:42:42 PM
Wonder what the ratio of their salaries are as to what individual players in D3 and D4 get in annual mileage etc.

Probably a good idea in the very beginning as I am sure a lot of players were begging for mileage allowance, healthcare, but the lack of transparency and their mega fund raising dinners in the US
Surely the gaa shouldn't be funding them until accounts are submitted for scrutiny every year?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 11, 2019, 09:42:10 PM
Surely the gaa shouldn't be funding them until accounts are submitted for scrutiny every year?

Indeed. Imagine if the scenario were reversed.

There would be no shortage of Dessie whining in the newspapers
i usse an speelchekor

Baile Brigín 2

The GAA shouldn't be funding them full stop. If the players want a union they should fund it themselves. If they want to be treated like soccer and rugby they should have to pony up like they do. And thats before the whole neutered topic comes up.

Main Street

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 12, 2019, 08:55:48 PM

The GAA shouldn't be funding them full stop. If the players want a union they should fund it themselves. If they want to be treated like soccer and rugby they should have to pony up like they do. And thats before the whole neutered topic comes up.
The players do not earn a salary. But the players do earn millions for the GAA by dint of their dedication and sacrifice with the game now being played at an almost 'professional' standard. The players are entitled to have a % of those earnings put back into looking after their welfare.
If Joe has any questions about how GPA money is being spent he can download the accounts and refer to actual figures rather than making wild assumptions.

Was that the article where Joe claimed after a challenge game  TCD v Meath that Sean Boylan rushed out to  phone up  Eamonn Coleman and point out that brilliant player for Trinity called Joe Brolly? What are the odds that Joe is confusing reality with a scene from that film 'Back to the Future' where the band member phoned up Chuck Berry?

heffo

Quote from: Main Street on November 12, 2019, 10:00:57 PM

If Joe has any questions about how GPA money is being spent he can download the accounts and refer to actual figures rather than making wild assumptions.

The long standing complaint is the lack of detail in the accounts

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Main Street on November 12, 2019, 10:00:57 PM

The players do not earn a salary. But the players do earn millions for the GAA by dint of their dedication and sacrifice with the game now being played at an almost 'professional' standard. The players are entitled to have a % of those earnings put back into looking after their welfare.

Was that the article where Joe claimed after a challenge game  TCD v Meath that Sean Boylan rushed out to  phone up  Eamonn Coleman and point out that brilliant player for Trinity called Joe Brolly? What are the odds that Joe is confusing reality with a scene from that film 'Back to the Future' where the band member phoned up Chuck Berry?
It's basically a commercial vehicle for the top level players and ex players