County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Gavin actually won 3 All Ireland U21's. Great example of inexperienced at intercounty level there.  ::)

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 25, 2017, 01:44:27 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on October 25, 2017, 01:13:53 PM
Was Jim Gavin high risk when he took over Dublin?  No senior county management experience?

Haven't most successful county managers had the most success in their first manager Job?

What county manager in the last 20 years has won an All-Ireland as a manager for a second time?  Jack O'connor (And I'm not even sure about that).

Way too much crap and talk about former experience imo.  As I said earlier, he's hungry, the back room team (if confirmed) looks good, we have a decent squad and I'm optimistic about this...

Good luck Cathal
Wow, just wow. Your logic is so far off the scale I don't know where to start. You honestly believe mentioning  his lack of intercounty experience is a load of crap.

Compare him to Holmes/Connelly, FOD etc... why don't some Sligo people get it that we needed experience, we've failed with the 1st timers, its not a successful approach but we keep doing it.

Jim Gavin is a terrible example, u21 winner, AI winning player etc... this guy is coming from Truagh Gaels to Sligo. We could get lucky and he's great but he could be a disaster like Jordan/Carew et... Good luck to him.

Time to face the facts, no matter who is appointed [inert name of Division 3/4 county] they will not be winning a provincial much less an AI title in the near future. [insert name of Division 2 county] will have some chance of winning a provincial title but only a slight chance of making the Super 8 competition especially after it has run for a couple of years.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 25, 2017, 03:35:57 PM
Was Jim Gavin high risk when he took over Dublin?  No senior county management experience?

Haven't most successful county managers had the most success in their first manager Job?

What county manager in the last 20 years has won an All-Ireland as a manager for a second time?  Jack O'connor (And I'm not even sure about that).

Way too much crap and talk about former experience imo.  As I said earlier, he's hungry, the back room team (if confirmed) looks good, we have a decent squad and I'm optimistic about this...

Good luck Cathal
Wow, just wow. Your logic is so far off the scale I don't know where to start. You honestly believe mentioning  his lack of intercounty experience is a load of crap.

Compare him to Holmes/Connelly, FOD etc... why don't some Sligo people get it that we needed experience, we've failed with the 1st timers, its not a successful approach but we keep doing it.

Jim Gavin is a terrible example, u21 winner, AI winning player etc... this guy is coming from Truagh Gaels to Sligo. We could get lucky and he's great but he could be a disaster like Jordan/Carew et... Good luck to him.

Time to face the facts, no matter who is appointed [inert name of Division 3/4 county] they will not be winning a provincial much less an AI title in the near future. [insert name of Division 2 county] will have some chance of winning a provincial title but only a slight chance of making the Super 8 competition especially after it has run for a couple of years.

What's your point though? What you're saying is almost irrelevant.

All we want is to maximise our resources and have as close to the best Sligo team we can possibly have. Who knows where that would take us? Are we not right to hope for this or should we just give up? For the first time in a long while we've been reasonably competitive for a few consecutive years at minor and U21 and we're just hoping we can harness these good lads and give them a platform to excel. Perhaps this is a masterstroke appointment and hopefully it is. Legitimate expression of concerns are not to be feared or resented. We all want this to work. If we're at the stage where we're not allowed to express an independent view then that's a sad a serious situation I feel.

Syferus

I honestly think if Sligo weren't penny pinching they could have got someone like FOD. In many ways the Sligo job suits him better than the Roscommon job given he's living in Boyle, whereas he'd be regularly traveling to AIT for training when he was managing Roscommon.

Usually when you've got a candidate who hears you out and is freely available it ends up being a case of the CB being unwilling to back an ambitious plan, or not being willing to cede the control needed to run a county team effectively.

Sligo is nearly exactly the same size as Roscommon. 22 Connachts to 3. Structurally it's always been the same old story north of Ballagh.

Orchard park

O'Donnell was a poxed lucky manager surrounded by yes men......

dont think Sligo missed anything there

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on October 25, 2017, 04:27:06 PM

:o

FOD doesn't need me to defend him. Only an eejit would attack him like you just have.

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on October 25, 2017, 04:28:03 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on October 25, 2017, 04:27:06 PM

:o

FOD doesn't need me to defend him. Only an eejit would attack him like you just have.

2010 was a lucky win, tactically lost 2011. didnt achieve anything further at senior club or intercounty level........

an excellent underage coach admittedly

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on October 25, 2017, 03:35:57 PM

Good luck Cathal

Malachy O'Rourke won Ulster with Monaghan in his first year with them and they played their league football in Div 3 that spring.

sligoman2

My point is that most all-Ireland's or provincials have been won with managers on their first assignment.  I know Gavin had u21 experience but no senior inter-county.  Same applies to Rochford in Mayo, McStay in Ross, and most other counties.
We had a former county manager who had stints with other counties and ye were giving out about him too. 

Give the guy a chance, he has a decent resume, he's well liked apparently, good backroom team and he is out to prove himself, which can only be good if channeled properly.

Time will tell, but I think we might have picked a good one here..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman2 on October 25, 2017, 07:06:20 PM
My point is that most all-Ireland's or provincials have been won with managers on their first assignment.  I know Gavin had u21 experience but no senior inter-county.  Same applies to Rochford in Mayo, McStay in Ross, and most other counties.
We had a former county manager who had stints with other counties and ye were giving out about him too. 

Give the guy a chance, he has a decent resume, he's well liked apparently, good backroom team and he is out to prove himself, which can only be good if channeled properly.

He's good enough for the Sligo seniors but not a Tyrone academy team..?

Orchard park

If not in with Mickey Hsrte he doesn't get s  look in with any Tyrone team

shark

John O'Mahoney the only All-Ireland winner in recent times who had prior intercounty management with another county? Can't think of others.
More at provincial. Micko, Paidi, Mickey Moran, O'Rourke.
I guess the successful counties don't go outside for their managers.

SLIGONIAN

Explain to me how we are not giving him a chance? Explain to how we are giving out about him?

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

MayoBuck

Rochford given a 2 year extension to his deal tonight - until 2020. Backroom team not confirmed yet though. Hopefully no major changes there either.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: MayoBuck on October 25, 2017, 10:30:16 PM
Rochford given a 2 year extension to his deal tonight - until 2020. Backroom team not confirmed yet though. Hopefully no major changes there either.
Be interesting to see if he is still Mayo manager by 2020.