Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: paddypastit on October 10, 2008, 07:37:25 PM
Jez Sligonian don't be getting all serious on us; sure we agree on way more than we disagree on.  FWIW I don't buy into there being an age threshold on good observations or well thought out opinions and I find it hard to disagree with even part of a point of your last post.... as the nun said to the bishop "Tetigisti acu"

I went a bit philosophical alright in the last post, apologies :-[. Man i probably should PM you on this but what does "Tetigisti acu" mean.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Owenmoresider

Molaise gaels won the intermediate replay by a point aet, 1-11 to 13. Better than the first game, but still no classic. Grange need to stop being so wasteful, up against it next sunday. But theirs is the cup anyway, so fair play to them.

SLIGONIAN

Congrats to my Club St Molaise Gaels ;D ;D ;D ;D

SMG 1-11 C/M 0-13

It wasnt the greatest standard but it was tight the whole way through and we were a tad lucky to win. Marty Duffy did a great job referring BTW. First was all C/M and no way should we have been level at ht. They got scores alot easier straight up the middle, we lost our GK and CHB in first half aswell. Finan got one beaut though from a tight angle. I thought shane o brien was outstanding.

Burns got a great goal to leave it 0-7 to 1-4.

2nd half we got great start with 3pts straight away. then C/M came back lead by o brien who got some great scores. The introduction of niall mcloughlin payed dividends for us , he got fatal scores. It was nip and tuck towards with us hanging on after leornard got sent off for 2 yellows which i cant argue about with 15mins to go. But our lads dug deep but another o brien free levelled to take it ET.

Thankfully we could start with 15 in ET. They got first point and we levelled and went 2 up and C/M replyed but some great defending help us to hold out.

Listen I can tell yee i was a relived man. C/M threw everything at us.

The only negatives are the brainless management on our side, there tactics or lack there of defy belief, quinn started ff which was crazy and alot of other mistakes were made, i could go on. Also we are a team of individuals whereas C/M are a team. It was harsh on obrien being on a losing side.

Cathal burns outstanding again, Wilson outstanding again, Quinn outstanding from the time he moved himself out and niall mcloughlin probably won it for us. Shane feeny and gavin gilsenan also did well throughout.

Im over the moon we won, but this golden generation is in danger of being destroyed unless we get new manger next yr.

Congrats to the players....Bring on senior with a good manager.

SLIGONIAN

Our u20s lost today by 9-8 to tubber. We had 7 of ydays intermediates playing who werent in the best shape to be playing a match after winning yday. But thats the way the scheduling went. It was poor game which was decided by a wide that was waved a point by the tubber umpire. Our lads kicked a mountain of wides and should of won it anyway.

Next weekend our intermediate and u20s are scheduled to play at the same time, wonder will cb let us get it changed.
Curry hammered johns today and curry will probably go through now. The timing of it couldnt be worse for us. The intermediates have to come first.

Its a double header in markievicz next weekend i think according leitrim website,

St Molaise Gaels v Anasheelin 1.30
Eastern Harps v Glencar/Manor 3.15

Best of luck to both SLIGO teams.

Owenmoresider

Sunday 12th October 2008
U-20 A Championship Group 1
St Johns    0-6   2-17   Curry    St Johns   Round 1   
St Molaise Gaels    0-8   0-9   Tubbercurry /Cloonacool   St Molaise Gaels   Round 1   

U-20 A Championship Group 2
Coolera-Strandhill    3-7   1-13   Calry/St Josephs    Coolera   Round 1   

U-20 B Championship Group 1
Shamrock Gaels    -   -   Owenmore Gaels    Shamrock Gaels   Conceded by Owenmore Gaels   
St Marys    3-9   2-10   St Patricks    St Marys   Round 1   

U-20 B Championship Group 2
Geevagh    2-8   2-10   Drumcliffe Rosses Point    Geevagh   Round 1   

U–13 Feile na nOg Championship East Division
Geevagh    3-7   3-6   St Michaels    Geevagh      
Shamrock Gaels    11-7   4-1   Owenmore Gaels    Shamrock Gaels      
Eastern Harps    -   -   Ballymote    Eastern Harps - Keash   Conceded by Ballymote   

U–13 Feile na nOg Championship South Division
Tourlestrane    4-14   0-3   Tubbercurry    Tubbercurry      
Bunninadden    -   -   Cloonacool    Bunninadden   Conceded by Cloonacool   
Curry    3-1   3-14   Coolaney/Mullinabreena    Curry      

U–13 Feile na nOg Championship West Division
Castleconnor    4-16   0-1   Easkey    Castleconnor   

Saturday 11th October 2008
Intermediate Football Championship
St Molaise Gaels    1-11   0-13   Coolaney/Mullinabreena    Markievicz Park   Final Replay   

Tourlestrane    2-16   0-4   Eastern Harps    Tourlestrane   Round 1   

Under 18 B Championship Finals   
Bunninadden    2-12   3-8   St Marys    Markievicz Park   FINAL REPLAY

Good to know our underage is living up to the standard from the first half of the decade. ::) Mind you, neither Ballymote nor Mullinabreena even bothered to enter the U20, the former appear to be in a bit of bother when the present team moves on. Some hidings for John's and Harps there too. The latter may have problems of their own too as time passes.

Mano

Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 12, 2008, 11:41:38 PM
St Johns    0-6   2-17   Curry    St Johns   Round 1   

That result says it all about St Johns. Huge population base who have dominated minor level for the last 10 years but can't seem to keep their players interested beyond that age group. This team were minor champions and now are beaten by 17 points 2 years later - thats some fall from grace. If we are to have a successful Sligo senior team we have to keep these lads interested.

magpie seanie

I couldn't agree more Mano but that fall from grace for those players has taken place in a timeframe when Sligo actually won a Connacht title with several of their clubmates on the team and panel. Never have St. John's had more lads on county panels but they seem to be getting no "bounce" from it. Its a bit of a joke really. If we are serious about succeeding in Sligo though situations like this need to be addressed by the county board and the clubs in need of the help have to be willing to accept it. Also - other clubs have to realise its for "the greater good" and not begrudge it. And no-one should get too worried about footballs hitting off all the pigs flying round the place....

I'll stay with the U-20 comp. Our lads drew with Calry. From what I heard we led all the way but tired and a very physically strong Calry were possibly a bit unlucky not to take the win. Both sides will be hopeful of beating Harps but will realise that Tourlestrane are the team to beat in this group. In the other group I see Tubber got a bit of luck with scheduling and officiating. Don't know if either will be able to stop Curry though they'll doubtless do a better job of it than Johns.

Finally congrats to St Molaise Gaels. This club has a lot of challenges coming in the future but its coming on at all levels. U-9's through to "City Board" final and fairly strong at all levels now. Staying senior will be very tough next year but with a bit more unity they could end up becoming a force in the county. Hard luck to Coolaney/Mullinabreena. I wrote them off all year but to be fair they are great battlers and are doing well to be at this level with such tight resources. O'Brien has rakes of talent but needs to go up another level if he is to be county material.

paddypastit

Sligonian, nothing to apologise for (not on this one anyway!!) - the Latin quote means 'hit the nail on the head' - not word for word but that is what it means
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Owenmoresider

The intermediate reps are gone. Lost 11-6, sounded like another poor display from them, really should be better than that. Hopefully harps will fly the flag for the county now.

SLIGONIAN

Ya hugely underperformed today again SMG, with 8 positional switches made and 2 changes were our management going to get anything else. Thats a average of 7 a game for the last 4 matches. You couldnt write it.

I feel slightly ashamed of my club today, represented sligo so poorly and without much resistance. Its hard to critise the players when i know in my heart they were handicapped by poor management all yr. So disappointed. In the last week alone ive heard so much shite going on behind the scenes it really disheartens me, why there always politics and lack of commitment in my club, and men just caring about themselves and not the club.

Im hearing our manager resigned after the game :'(. Lets hope we get a good football man in and good selectors.

Harps were awesome, 1-15 to 1-5 ft score and taylor with 1-5 in 1st half alone a legend, very well done :).

Owenmoresider

Harps won with relative ease, 1-15 to 1-5. A flurry of scores before half-time effectively killed it off, went from 0-6 to 1-2 to 1-9 to 1-2. Manor had two early goal chances in the second half but both were blocked, and they needed them. Manor stayed around 6 behind for most of the half but Harps finished strong again to seal the  win. And that was despite one of the most disgraceful reffing displays from Pat McGovern, had a shuffle with the Harps bench early on and rode them thereafter. But Harps were good enough to win anyway, Taylor pulling the strings as usual. Ballagh will be a mammoth test for them, but home advantage and the local aspect to it means that they'll not go down too easily.

SMG - dunno, Sligonian can explain.

And John's got an even worse beating this weekend in the U20!

Sunday 19th October 2008
Tubbercurry /Cloonacool   2-19   0-2   St Johns    Tubbercurry   Round 2   
Owenmore Gaels    -   -   St Marys    Owenmore Gaels   Conceded by Owenmore Gaels   
U-20 B Championship Group 2
Drumcliffe Rosses Point    2-8   2-7   Bunninadden    Drumcliffe   Round 2

Saturday 18th October 2008
Calry/St Josephs    3-6   5-13   Tourlestrane    Calry/St Josephs   Round 2   
Eastern Harps    1-10   2-8   Coolera-Strandhill    Eastern Harps - Keash   Round 2   
St Patricks    2-9   2-10   Shamrock Gaels    St Patricks   Round 2

SLIGONIAN

Have to say im glad ballaghdereen won the mayo decider :), because i f**kin hate charlestown for obvious reasons.

Harps couldnt have got a worse start, 1-1 down after 5 mins, a freakish goal fisted on from 45, but Harps never panic and play a great brand of football. Taylor was class today but the ball going in was perfect for, you can only play taylor one  way and thats keep him making his runs as close to goal as possible and have on the end of moves. He is a top class finisher. Harps were on the rampage, grady and tony were lording midfield, with rafferty linking up well and doddy, Danny o grady gets alot of ball but runs very laterally but does take up some good postions in front of taylor and got good score from tight angle in 1st half. Hannon is a good player, always raated him and fought hard today and wasnt afraid of physical side of things. Harps 1-9 manor 1-2 at HT. Game effectively over but that didnt stop them coming out like dogs, jees the opening 10 mins they gave it everything, could of got 2 goals but great defending by donovan stopped that, and missed scores but harps defence under enormous pressure never panic or wilted. Harps went asleep a bit at midfield and just to much supply was coming in. After all that pressure manor only got 2 pts but harps replied with a lovely t taylor score. This settled harps again and they put some great moves together. They all play for one another. Ran out easy winners 1-15 to 1-5.

My only worry was lack of good ball going into taylor 2nd half, they wont get as easy as 1st half today. O grady and hannon got long range scores 2nd half so hopefully them lads can keep it going, donovan, mcgovern and phillps were outstanding and harps 2 corner backs were class, even attacking at stages. Best of luck the next day.

SMG 0-6 Annasheelin 0-11

Were poor again today, not close to what we can be like. Conway, mcgloin and kelly started today after only one of the lads coming on as sub last day. Then he put our engine man and fittest player FB in wilson, totally stupid and disabled his strengths ie workrate all over the field.

Tommy kenndy was poor and damien kelly which meant we got a bit of roasting down our right flank, made silly errors, gifted points and one of them lasted full 70. Mark leonard dropped from last week a joke after doing well. Gilsenan at CHB was poor today and left gaps in our defence too many times.

We only scored 2 free 1st half and they were 6-2 up, we did come into eventaully with m feeney finding his range with great scores 3 in all to make it 7-5 to them. The football was atrocious. E mchugh our county man has had a string of mediocre performances and now my doubts about him are back after what i thought turned a corner display against johns in league final but no it wasnt. Burns wasnt as good as last 3 displays. Quinn was poor at CHF. Caraway just looked disinterested and mcloughlin poor. Not sure about the atitude of our players all week. I can see our best and its just frustrating seeing way underperform, playing 7 or 8 players in diferent positions every game hasnt helped and that kinda thing should be done in feb/mar not now. Pissed off we represented county so poorly but i dont pick team. Best thing today was manger leaving and hopefully that means his clownish right hand man GW too which wiil benefit club hugely and sligo football too. None of our player did themselves justice although i must admit our players atitude and commitment has been questionable at times this yr.

The ref today was a joke but just aswell harps were too good. He did his best for manor but he was nothing compared to mcdermott for CM a few weeks ago.

SLIGO FOOTBALL MANAGER TO BE ANNOUNCED THIS WEEK, 3 interviews took place last week ;D.

magpie seanie

Our U-20's just about squeezed out the win away to Harps on Saturday morning. It was a poor performance by our lads although Harps contributed to that with great workrate and determination. I'm told that they had one or two more lads thn the week before including Barry Coleman who I though was their best player. He caused us a bit of bother. So it sets up effectively a semi final next weekend/in the next round against a rampant Tourlestrane. Its an unlikely assignment for us. Tour have an excellent team at this age but I'd expect our lads to perform better and hopefully give them a game. With Molaise Gaels v. Curry postponed last weekend it means the U-20 competition will be extended by another week most likely.

John's results are an absolute disgrace. Things must be going fairly bad there at the moment. They never turned up for the minor A league final on Friday night either I hear.

Well done to Harps. Tough task the next day but I'd expect them to put it up to the Roscommon men.

baoithe

Mighty stuff from Coolaney Mullinabreena/FOSF news this week. Nothing too controversial but it'd make you cringe/laugh to read it.

http://www.sligogaa.ie/newsitem.aspx?=1615

Maybe I'm being over critical.

magpie seanie

I know. I read it earlier. Its unmissable at this stage. Cringeworthy in a Sarah Palin kind of way.