Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggy bread

Quote from: Catch the high ball on June 05, 2010, 08:59:54 PM
Not really computer but anyway. My phone was in my pocket when it unlocked itself and formatted the memory card. Is there any way I can get the files back.
Cheers

I would say no unless you have a backup.

tyrone86

Is there anywhere online one might obtain a vintage version of Microsoft works? I'm trying to access something from an old .wks file and excel (03&07) doesn't want to know.

Main Street

Quote from: Catch the high ball on June 05, 2010, 08:59:54 PM
My phone was in my pocket when it unlocked itself and formatted the memory card.

That's some phone. What other tricks can it do?

muppet

Quote from: tyrone86 on June 21, 2010, 10:27:12 PM
Is there anywhere online one might obtain a vintage version of Microsoft works? I'm trying to access something from an old .wks file and excel (03&07) doesn't want to know.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Microsoft-Word-2000-Works-2000-unused-sealed-/260622076557?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item3cae494a8d#ht_500wt_1154
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

QuoteIs there anywhere online one might obtain a vintage version of Microsoft works

try this kind of thing first

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BF41401E-70FA-465D-AE2E-CF44DBF05297&displaylang=en

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Puckoon

Hi Folks,
Having a little trouble with the lap top. The computer crashes now and then (maybe once a day). Browsing session collapses and the computer gives me a blue screen with some information about it having to shut down to protect the comuter. After I restart this computer, I am prompted to install a file called "jucheck.exe".

I have googled this and there is some debate as to whether it is a genuine java file, or a trojan virus.

Do I need to remove this file? If so, could I get some lay man instructions for an idiot to do this?

Also, can anyone recommend some free protection materials for the computer? I am currently running a version of McAfee and Microsoft security essentials.

Much appreciated in advance.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Puckoon on June 27, 2010, 02:43:23 PM
Hi Folks,
Having a little trouble with the lap top. The computer crashes now and then (maybe once a day). Browsing session collapses and the computer gives me a blue screen with some information about it having to shut down to protect the comuter. After I restart this computer, I am prompted to install a file called "jucheck.exe".

I have googled this and there is some debate as to whether it is a genuine java file, or a trojan virus.

Do I need to remove this file? If so, could I get some lay man instructions for an idiot to do this?

Also, can anyone recommend some free protection materials for the computer? I am currently running a version of McAfee and Microsoft security essentials.

Much appreciated in advance.
jucheck.exe is safe, nothing to worry about.  Try googling for anti-malware software
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

BenDover

I'm having trouble with Outlook 2003 notes, I've changed jobs recently and copied all my personal notes to a USB pen and from there to My Documents folder thinking that i should just be able to drag and drop them into Outlook again and be able to read them no problems. Thing is in my new job I've Outlook 2007 and I'm getting a permissions error when dragging the notes into the Outlook window. I've ensured that i have full permissions and retried and I'm still getting the same error. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

tyrone86

Quote from: tyrone86 on November 09, 2009, 08:37:27 AM
Quote from: Minder on November 09, 2009, 08:27:25 AM
Thanks for the help last night lads bit still no luck. Ran a scan on Malwarebytes and it is still there, went into the registry as Myles said, there was an enter for "Cyber Key" bit not "Cyber Security", I removed it anyway but alas is still there. Any other options?

Do a system restore from before when the Cyber Security stuff started to appear and run a virus check as soon as you get rebooted and that should get it.

Just after getting caught with a new variation of this w**ker of a virus - AV security suite - and it doesn't let you access anything at all.

Needed to reboot and go into safe mode before doing a system restore to solve the problem.

Square Ball

got a virus on a laptop, was able to download malaware and cleaned it, but now I cannot connect to the internet, I have traied explorer and safari, but it wont connect, I can connect to spotify, any ideas?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Hardy

If you can connect to Spotify you CAN connect to the internet. If it's just certain sites you can't access (Microsoft and all the Anti-Virus companies - AVG, Avast, Norton and Spybot, Malwarebytes, etc.) it sounds like something I had a few weeks ago.

I couldn't find any cure for it after a LOT of research and enquiries and had to re-format the HD and re-build the system. System Restore didn't work for me because the earliest restore point available still had the problem, but that's worth trying.

tyrone86

Quote from: Square Ball on July 19, 2010, 05:02:21 PM
got a virus on a laptop, was able to download malaware and cleaned it, but now I cannot connect to the internet, I have traied explorer and safari, but it wont connect, I can connect to spotify, any ideas?

Had that problem as well - never check if spotify worked though. Go to control panel - internet options - open the connections tab and then open LAN settings. Make sure the 'use proxy server for your LAN' is unchecked. That should get you back up and running temporarily at least. I wouldn't be sure the virus is completely gone though regardless of what your AV/malwarebytes tells you I keep having bother with that AV security suite from 3 weeks ago every couple of days.

Square Ball

cheers Hardy and Tyrone, the LAN setting was it, never thought of looking there, again thanks guys
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

gerry

hopefully this is a easy one,  how do add a second computer using a ethernet cablle to my bt hub.  currently i have one pc connected using a ethernet cable and i want to add another via the second slot on my hub.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,