Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhic Easmuint

Have you tried combofix to get rid of them infections?

What do you think of that tool ardmhachaabu?

Used it on quite a few computers and it has got rid of any bad infections with one scan. 

Square Ball

On Windows advanced menu I have:

Safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command print
enable boot logging
enable vga mode
last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory services restore mode (windows domain controllers only)
debugging mode
disable automatic restart or system failure

when i restarted i got loc.sock32,dll error. the specific module could not be found... thats a new one  :(
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on July 13, 2009, 01:01:35 PM
Have you tried combofix to get rid of them infections?

What do you think of that tool ardmhachaabu?

Used it on quite a few computers and it has got rid of any bad infections with one scan. 
I think it's excellent and have used it myself a right few times, only thing is I am not sure if it is for an ordinary user, I think it would frighten most people
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ardmhachaabu

SB, it may be better and quicker to solve these problems by reinstall windows from scratch.  Would this be an option?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Square Ball

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 13, 2009, 02:23:09 PM
SB, it may be better and quicker to solve these problems by reinstall windows from scratch.  Would this be an option?

looking more and more like it. I have aload of pictures i need to save so i may do it after that.

I have just found the reinstillation disc i got with the computer, so when i get the photos onto a disc, have a few hours to spare and a few tins of beer I will have a blatter at it

ardmhachaabu

Make a note of the BSOD next time you see it and I will make one last suggestion when I know what it says

Square Ball

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on July 13, 2009, 04:07:32 PM
Make a note of the BSOD next time you see it and I will make one last suggestion when I know what it says
will do

Main Street

Assuming that one has activated System Restore and a few stage posts along the way.
Does it work to undo virus infected circumstances or does it just restore partially backwards undoing any changes to drivers?

Square Ball

turned the computer on this morning and for the first time in a while I diddnt see the BSOD, touches wood, but i am still being redirected to blinkx.com and a few others, i can live with that. also noticed that zone alarm was disabled, it used to automatically start up but not anymore.

thanks for your help ardmhachaabu

Main Street

Zone Alarm has a very poor reputation. I wouldn't go near it based on its reputation

Square Ball

Quote from: Main Street on July 14, 2009, 01:42:24 PM
Zone Alarm has a very poor reputation. I wouldn't go near it based on its reputation

I have been using it for ages, never had a problem with it

Main Street

So you have not a problem with your firewall recently?

Square Ball

Quote from: Main Street on July 14, 2009, 05:54:44 PM
So you have not a problem with your firewall recently?

yes big style, but in the years I have been using it I have never had a problem with it. what else is out there thats free and easy to use and effective?

Main Street

Zone alarm is not freeware and according to many user reports, has not adapted well to Vista 64.
I presume you are using an older OS.
When it fails with what it's supposed to do, protect, detect and eliminate when you need it, then I would question its effectiveness, just like I would question adaware's impotency in times of need.

I don't know what is more effective to ZA as I have limited experience with these things, Ardmhachaabu has suggested a few protection applications, but as I posted earlier (plus providing a free downl link) Spyware doctor freed up an XP we have, from very similar corruption that you experienced, after a quick scan. User reports are very positive about it. I had tried quite a few of these applications previous to using SD and all failed to do what SD did.

ONeill

Oh dear. Continually reboots. Gets to a blue screen then restarts. Has it passed over to the other side?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.