Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downgirl

Myles it recognised 2, then of a 2 cd set it recognised the 1st cd straight away and I had to put the other cd of the set in and out a few times before it picked it up.  Now it doesn't seem to be recognising any.  As for the DVD's I tried they are ones I have played on the laptop plenty of times before and they now aren't being recognised.

Thanks for that Main Street will have a wee look now see if I can get anywhere with that!   :)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: downgirl on August 05, 2012, 08:01:47 PM
Myles it recognised 2, then of a 2 cd set it recognised the 1st cd straight away and I had to put the other cd of the set in and out a few times before it picked it up.  Now it doesn't seem to be recognising any.  As for the DVD's I tried they are ones I have played on the laptop plenty of times before and they now aren't being recognised.

Thanks for that Main Street will have a wee look now see if I can get anywhere with that!   :)
Laser on the drive is fcuked now doubt.

downgirl

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 05, 2012, 08:17:52 PM

Oh no  :( So go for the external disc drive?

JUst retired

You could try a cleaning disc,to clean the laser before you take it for repair.

supersarsfields

Just wondering if anyone could help. my laptop had been playing up and was slowing down something serious. So I (thought) took a backup of all my files and was going to do a factory reset as thereb was a load of stuff on it that I never used. So did the reboot but my backup didn't work. I do have other backups but not the most recent. Is there anyway of getting the recent stuff back again or is it completely gone?

Main Street

You've probably Quinned your recently acquired assets.

supersarsfields

Awww feck it. And I had signed confessions from Anglo as well.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: downgirl on August 05, 2012, 08:25:55 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 05, 2012, 08:17:52 PM

Oh no  :( So go for the external disc drive?

You don't need to go external although you can. Externals I find are awkward to carry around if you need to be mobile. Just go to ebay and try and buy a internal drive to suit your laptop. You may need to get someone a bit handy to put it in as some laptops are a pig to open up.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 06, 2012, 12:01:32 PM
Just wondering if anyone could help. my laptop had been playing up and was slowing down something serious. So I (thought) took a backup of all my files and was going to do a factory reset as thereb was a load of stuff on it that I never used. So did the reboot but my backup didn't work. I do have other backups but not the most recent. Is there anyway of getting the recent stuff back again or is it completely gone?

Did you actually do a reformat on your laptop - I mean have you wiped it. If not and it just won't start you can use a method called slipstreaming to get access. Before I spend time telling you how maybe first just confirm whether the machine was reformatted.

Gaffer

My laptop takes ages to start up and then ages to connect to the internet.

Its a Dell Windows 7 and there are no viruses on it and no heavy programmes installed on it.

A fella beside me who works at computers part time can t source the problem

Anyone any ideas?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Gaffer on August 10, 2012, 07:41:50 PM
My laptop takes ages to start up and then ages to connect to the internet.

Its a Dell Windows 7 and there are no viruses on it and no heavy programmes installed on it.

A fella beside me who works at computers part time can t source the problem

Anyone any ideas?

Could be ram. Remove each stick of ram one at a time and restart your PC each time. See can you identify bad ram stick. As long as your certain you have no viruses or spyware, spyware would be the mist likely culprit otherwise.

Square Ball

my pc has died, ithr problem which i believe is a motherboard problem. i have stuff i need on it, will it be able to be recovered?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Square Ball on August 19, 2012, 11:01:03 AM
my pc has died, ithr problem which i believe is a motherboard problem. i have stuff i need on it, will it be able to be recovered?

Yes. Because everything is stored on the HDD. Just take that out and put it into another computer.

Square Ball

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 19, 2012, 11:20:13 AM
Quote from: Square Ball on August 19, 2012, 11:01:03 AM

Yes. Because everything is stored on the HDD. Just take that out and put it into another computer.
cheers,

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

armaghniac

QuoteJust take that out and put it into another computer.

you can put the HDD into one of those external disk yokes, and if just plug it in when you get a new computer.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B