The Recession

Started by The Claw, June 24, 2008, 09:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Well, at least I got a couple of humps this year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ludermor

In some sectors things are far worse than most people think. In constuction the crowd i work for are letting go 400 professional staff ( contract managers, engineers, foremen, QS's, etc) , if 400 prof staff are out of work you can say at least 2-3000 tradesmen are out of work. The banks are refusing funding to a lot of the established developers (never mind the risky new developers) so there is a severe slump in new contracts. With feck all jobs starting now the real wallop will be in 3-6 months time when a whole heap of current jobs will finish up and there will be a huge shedding of staff. While the residential sector slowed late last year the commerical sector has been going okish up to now but they are the contract whch are finishing up. A lot of the funding earmakred for the large civils jobs has been put on hold as well.
Most of the people i know that are not married.with kids are looking overseas at the minute gearing up for a move

lynchbhoy

I will expect this current period of doom and gloom /disaster type scenario to change in early 2009.

Recently have heard of a few sites starting up again, as regeneration in Dublin city centre , plus moves to combat the short housing supply re-start.

the 'economists' and 'media' wont be happy until they have someones head on a spike outside dublin castle !

We are 'talking ourselves' into 'another' recession again I see.
OK things are not as financially abundant as they may have been during the previous three or four (I apathetically lost count) 'recessions' but unless the euro melts, the remaining jobs/call centres/financial industry employers etc do a moonlight flit over to bangalore as well, then we still have enough domestic turnover and local economy to not make any effect on the nations trade and viability.
Certainly the building sector is being hardest hit, but with so many cowboys of our own and from foreign climes (who all of a sudden declared they were skilled tradesmen of some description when they were most def not) - with these chancers being found out and let go, the industry will return to where it should be in the not too distant future.

we will see, hopefully this will be the case

Tankie

The way peopel are going on about a Recession we will talk ourselves into one, you cant listen to the radio today without people going on about it and refering to the 80's. i had to put the ipod on and just listen to music as i was getting depressed.

I agree with lynchboy and that if we all stay calm we will see this out and will be fine!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Louth Exile

With Aviva moving 600 jobs from Hibernian to an Indian callcentre, I think that the link below (which Bud put up on another thread) is particularly apt at the moment.

http://www.fennetec.com/ringTommyMurphy.html

(you need sound and probably NSFW)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Louth Exile on June 24, 2008, 11:45:36 AM
Quote from: bingobus on June 24, 2008, 09:49:15 AM
I'm emigrating to Poland.

You and about half of Carrickmacross

Well at least Gerorge Lee and David Mc Williams will be happy!!

George Lee has been predicting an economic downturn every year since 2000. Just goes to show if you hang in there long enough you'll eventually be right.

The Real Laoislad

Lynchboy is certainly correct about the cowboys who have plagued the construction sector over the last ten years..
Houses were being thrown up at such a rate that they just couldn't possibly be built right,It was the main reason i bought a 2nd hand home instead of a new one.
I am actually run off my feet at the moment getting jobs in houses that are less than 5 or 6 years old,fixing things that are so badly done it beggers belief.
If you ask me it will be no harm to weed out those "tradesmen" i don't believe for a second that a qualified tradesman who is good and what he does won't be able find work.There is plenty of work out there and if your willing to travel a small bit or take smaller jobs in the hope bigger ones come as a result then nobody should be out of work..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ludermor

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 24, 2008, 04:08:18 PM
Lynchboy is certainly correct about the cowboys who have plagued the construction sector over the last ten years..
Houses were being thrown up at such a rate that they just couldn't possibly be built right,It was the main reason i bought a 2nd hand home instead of a new one.
I am actually run off my feet at the moment getting jobs in houses that are less than 5 or 6 years old,fixing things that are so badly done it beggers belief.
If you ask me it will be no harm to weed out those "tradesmen" i don't believe for a second that a qualified tradesman who is good and what he does won't be able find work.There is plenty of work out there and if your willing to travel a small bit or take smaller jobs in the hope bigger ones come as a result then nobody should be out of work..

You are dead right about weeding out the cowboys and i wouldnt have any sympathy for them at all. But as for good lads getting work, i know of blocklayers in the west who have stopped work because there is f**k all work and it doesnt pay at the current rates of 60 cents/block.
When i started college in 93 there was lads in 3rd year in Limerick rtc who had to do a years work experience. Some of the lads were willing to work for nothing but still couldnt get a job.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 24, 2008, 03:59:47 PM
I will expect this current period of doom and gloom /disaster type scenario to change in early 2009.

Recently have heard of a few sites starting up again, as regeneration in Dublin city centre , plus moves to combat the short housing supply re-start.

the 'economists' and 'media' wont be happy until they have someones head on a spike outside dublin castle !

We are 'talking ourselves' into 'another' recession again I see.
OK things are not as financially abundant as they may have been during the previous three or four (I apathetically lost count) 'recessions' but unless the euro melts, the remaining jobs/call centres/financial industry employers etc do a moonlight flit over to bangalore as well, then we still have enough domestic turnover and local economy to not make any effect on the nations trade and viability.
Certainly the building sector is being hardest hit, but with so many cowboys of our own and from foreign climes (who all of a sudden declared they were skilled tradesmen of some description when they were most def not) - with these chancers being found out and let go, the industry will return to where it should be in the not too distant future.

we will see, hopefully this will be the case

At last a sensible reasoned voice.

Yes things may not be as good as they have been for the best part of a decade, but the economy and society does need a period of re-adjustment, for too long now have we had things to easy (credit easily available made people greedy and lazy) I also believe that the teens today have no respect for money or hard work and this MAY imo have been a contributing factor to the massive decline in their manners and respect to their elders and the rest of the pop.

No last thing, we as the consumers in our country need to tell industry  (finance, I.T, etc...) that we are not happy having our problems dealt with by someone from the Indian sub-continent (whose grasp of English may be basic to say thte least), I for one would rather speak to a Dub then an Indian!  ;)
Tbc....

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ludermor on June 24, 2008, 04:20:23 PM

You are dead right about weeding out the cowboys and i wouldnt have any sympathy for them at all. But as for good lads getting work, i know of blocklayers in the west who have stopped work because there is f**k all work and it doesnt pay at the current rates of 60 cents/block.
When i started college in 93 there was lads in 3rd year in Limerick rtc who had to do a years work experience. Some of the lads were willing to work for nothing but still couldnt get a job.

Fair point regarding blocklayers,And i suppose Plasterers are in the same boat..
As for my own trade and Plumbers and Carpenters it's not going to hit us as hard as the above trades
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Goats Do Shave

QuoteI for one would rather speak to a Dub then an Indian! 

Whhhoooooaaaaaa!!!! Hold up... don't lose the run of yourself!  :P

Louth Exile

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 24, 2008, 04:06:33 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on June 24, 2008, 11:45:36 AM
Quote from: bingobus on June 24, 2008, 09:49:15 AM
I'm emigrating to Poland.
You and about half of Carrickmacross

Well at least Gerorge Lee and David Mc Williams will be happy!!

George Lee has been predicting an economic downturn every year since 2000. Just goes to show if you hang in there long enough you'll eventually be right.

Ah yeah, sure even a stopped clock is right twice a day
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 24, 2008, 04:24:38 PM

Fair point regarding blocklayers,And i suppose Plasterers are in the same boat..
As for my own trade and Plumbers and Carpenters it's not going to hit us as hard as the above trades

I am not so sure about that LL.  The sisters partner is a damn good and well respected plumber.  Was doing doing a lot of work for large developers and county councils all around the north east.  Since March of this year his work has dried up completely.  She had been at home minding the kids, she left a good job in a multi natiional food company, and they were able to live comfortably off his wages.  She starts back to work tomorrow after 5 years out of it because they cannot manage otherwise and he is going to look after the kids along with my mother. 

I know there will be anecdotal evidence like this all over, but it is happening and happening faster than people expected.  I remember listening to a futurist about 8-9 years ago just as the Celtic Tiger was getting into full tilt.  He was of the opinion that by 2009 it would have run its course and that there would be a massive world wide downturn, culminating in a catastrophic stock market crash in 2011/2012.  You have to remember this was pre- 9/11 and pre the second Iraq war.  Also it was at the tail end of the Democratic government under Clinton when all seemed rosey in the garden.  For someone to make such bold assertions under these circumstances was deemed ludicrous.

I hope he is wrong and I dearly hope that we will not slide as far as is possible.  I fear though that with the over-reliance on the property market, a very large level of individual borrowing, both secured through loans and unsecured through credit cards etc, along with th high level of public wages and the growing pace of private employment haemorraghing out of this country, we are in for a very nasty shock.  Our cost of living is going up and things like petrol prices will hit 150c per litre before the year is out.  Our home heating costs are increasing as are our grocery bills.  Employers are less willing to give big pay rises, and there are less jobs out there with more students coming out of university every year expecting a job.  I for one am scared and I see very difficult times in the next 24 months for a lot of people.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 24, 2008, 04:44:23 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 24, 2008, 04:24:38 PM

I am not so sure about that LL.  The sisters partner is a damn good and well respected plumber.  Was doing doing a lot of work for large developers and county councils all around the north east.  Since March of this year his work has dried up completely.  She had been at home minding the kids, she left a good job in a multi natiional food company, and they were able to live comfortably off his wages.  She starts back to work tomorrow after 5 years out of it because they cannot manage otherwise and he is going to look after the kids along with my mother. 

I know there will be anecdotal evidence like this all over, but it is happening and happening faster than people expected.  I remember listening to a futurist about 8-9 years ago just as the Celtic Tiger was getting into full tilt.  He was of the opinion that by 2009 it would have run its course and that there would be a massive world wide downturn, culminating in a catastrophic stock market crash in 2011/2012.  You have to remember this was pre- 9/11 and pre the second Iraq war.  Also it was at the tail end of the Democratic government under Clinton when all seemed rosey in the garden.  For someone to make such bold assertions under these circumstances was deemed ludicrous.

I hope he is wrong and I dearly hope that we will not slide as far as is possible.  I fear though that with the over-reliance on the property market, a very large level of individual borrowing, both secured through loans and unsecured through credit cards etc, along with th high level of public wages and the growing pace of private employment haemorraghing out of this country, we are in for a very nasty shock.  Our cost of living is going up and things like petrol prices will hit 150c per litre before the year is out.  Our home heating costs are increasing as are our grocery bills.  Employers are less willing to give big pay rises, and there are less jobs out there with more students coming out of university every year expecting a job.  I for one am scared and I see very difficult times in the next 24 months for a lot of people.

Sorry to hear about your brother in law bc1.What part of the country is he in  ???.Unfortunately his problem is now a result of him working for a large developer who are all going belly up,I was making the point though that there is loads of work still left in the private sector.These might me only small jobs as in a day to a weeks work,but those jobs are keeping me going at the moment,These are the same jobs that fellas were turning their noses at a few years ago because they all wanted a piece of the commercial work cake,Or maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones who hasn't had trouble getting work,even though i will admit i find it a slight bit harder to get paid than last year but it eventually comes..
Its a time like this that you need to be ahead of everyone else,thats why i am currently doing a few courses in solar panels and energy saving units as i believe this will be the future..
The building boom couldn't last forever and i deliberately stayed out of working for large developers when i went out on my own
You'll Never Walk Alone.

brokencrossbar1

He works all over the Louth, Meath, Cavan area as well as home in south Armagh. Like you he has the small jobs, but even they are few and far between.  He is focusing on gettinh into council work doing servicing of gas systems for the council and may have an opening, but he will be back as an employee something he hasn't been for 20 years!