Jim Gavin - under-rated?

Started by Bingo, September 25, 2015, 03:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Read this piece on Jim Gavin and found it very insightful.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=244676

Would Jim Gavin be under-rated by many? In the light of the All-Ireland win, very little seems to be made of his role or how he has taken Dublin to another title despite not holding back during the year and winning 4 out of 4 trophies available.

He took risks during the year and got lots from players - Dublins midfield was suspect we where told but he put in Fenton and suddenly its no problem. He generally reads a game very well and gets his subs in at right time and with an impact.

He has done it with the U21's and now won repeat All-Irelands.

Yet he just seems to get on with it and isn't held in the same esteem as Horan was or McGuinness was or Harte, Fitzmaurice etc.

Perhaps its the expectation that comes with Dublin - the pick of players, resources available, etc. But they would always have these and have struggled in the past. He manages this very well and the players same to now thrive in pressure situations and have got better as the year has gone on. A lot will point to last year and the Donegal match that went very wrong. While that is true, you could say that poor finishing cost them as much as poor defensive set up. To his credit he has corrected this and they haven't looked as open all year.

Maybe history and when he is finished he will get the plaudits but its no mean feat to win All-Irelands and he has now won 3 of them as manager. 

LeoMc

Having such a choice of players brings its own challenges. He seems to manage it very well.

Syferus

Good manager. But that perma-grin..

StGallsGAA

Definitely over-rated since he "didn't know" he wasn't allowed to bring on a replacement for a player who was red-carded in the NFL in Omagh.  Either that or he's just a cheating shit who will do anything inside or outside the rules to win.

beer baron

He out thought Fitzmaurice last Sunday which i was very surprised at,got all his match ups spot on and cut out the diagonal ball into the full forward line brilliantly. Having the talent he has at his disposal he's never likely to get any real credit though.

rodney trotter

How many are in the Dublin back room team?. Gavin is probaly a good manager but every manager needs good people around him too. Dublin have plenty in the back room.

heffo

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 27, 2015, 10:30:07 AM
How many are in the Dublin back room team?. Gavin is probaly a good manager but every manager needs good people around him too. Dublin have plenty in the back room.

Not as many as Donegal - the first county to break 20 in the back room team.

Jim is a very humble guy, he needs to start using I and Me far more often though and put himself at the forefront of his teams achievements - it hadn't done others any harm.

Syferus

Quote from: heffo on September 27, 2015, 11:42:05 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on September 27, 2015, 10:30:07 AM

Not as many as Donegal - the first county to break 20 in the back room team.

Jim is a very humble guy, he needs to start using I and Me far more often though and put himself at the forefront of his teams achievements - it hadn't done others any harm.

You two must have had a few frank discussions with each other to know that.