Club championship shambles..again

Started by Bingo, October 10, 2014, 11:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Was reading that two counties won't have their club championship finished in time to have a representative in the provincial championship - football in Wexford and Tipperary.

While Tipp may have an excuse with the Hurlers going to an All-Ireland replay, can't see how Wexford are in that position even as a dual county.

It continually boils back to the same problem where counties try to run off their championship in a limited window once all county activity is finished.

I'm sure Croke Park will be getting stuck in to sort this out once and for all  ::)

Schkite

This isn't the first time Wexford have been in this situation if I remember right?

As you say it's bad enough for a county that gets to an AI final, but surely the likes of Wexford, who this year haven't had late distractions, can run their championships on time?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Schkite on October 10, 2014, 11:57:24 AM
This isn't the first time Wexford have been in this situation if I remember right?

As you say it's bad enough for a county that gets to an AI final, but surely the likes of Wexford, who this year haven't had late distractions, can run their championships on time?
Their under-21 hurlers played in the AIF, which no doubt held things up. Think there are quite a few dual clubs and players down there which would cause problems also.

Orior

Quote from: Bingo on October 10, 2014, 11:05:43 AM
Was reading that two counties won't have their club championship finished in time to have a representative in the provincial championship - football in Wexford and Tipperary.

While Tipp may have an excuse with the Hurlers going to an All-Ireland replay, can't see how Wexford are in that position even as a dual county.

It continually boils back to the same problem where counties try to run off their championship in a limited window once all county activity is finished.

I'm sure Croke Park will be getting stuck in to sort this out once and for all  ::)

What is your recommendation?

PS. I dont work for the GAA
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Canalman

Quote from: Orior on October 10, 2014, 01:08:34 PM

Simple. At beginning of year nominate a date whereby all championships have to be finished. Say 31st October 2014 and I am being generous. Any championships not finished by that date are null and void. Insurance not to cover any championship games after that date.
Would  concentrate minds imo.

Zulu

Not quite as simple but ultimately what needs to be done, stop looking at everything in isolation while at the same time having everything linked by using the same players. It's utter madness having the U21 hurling on during the summer. That some counties can't get their club championships finished inside 10 months when the vast majority of those players play with no other teams should be a huge red flag for the GAA. However, it appears most folks are happy to be 'outraged' at this without having the courage to change it. Multi representative players is the biggest problem, followed by a season that is unstructured and dragged out interminably.

blewuporstuffed

This is one of the main reasons the intercounty season needs restructured (not to mention the lop sided nature of it).
The inter county season is much too long and alot of time is taken up by competions that very little value is placed in (mcken cup or equivilant & the natual leagues)
IMO the cup competitions should be scraped and the league moved to start a  bit earlier in the year for a start.
that would allow a bit more time in the calander for club football
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Bingo

It has to start with a proper fixtures calendar. I'd get rid of Walsh Cup, McKenna Cup etc, start the league a couple of weeks earlier, spread out the football to 5 leagues in the nfl. This reduces games played straight away.

For championship, just condense the bloody things. eg Ulster started this year on 18th May and final was 20th July. To run off a knockout competition when the teams involved are not involved in other competition. Leinster was the same.

Then the finalists have 3 games to get to an-Ireland final which is played on 21st September. That's from 20th July to 21st September. 3 games. Plus more time for the two other provinces.

Complete redrawing of the fixtures is the very basic starting point.

Counties get months to play off their championship. Clubs seem to be played off in a month at the minute. We played 4 weekends in a row recently in championship.

Dual players and multi-representation is now a problem. The romantic days of Teddy McCarthy are gone, was no backdoor then and less draw on the players now. If players want to play both let them but can we really start holding up all fixtures for these players? The hard answer is no.

Its a starting point and might take time but the intercounty season has to be shortened.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Bingo on October 10, 2014, 01:52:27 PM

It has to start with a proper fixtures calendar. I'd get rid of Walsh Cup, McKenna Cup etc, start the league a couple of weeks earlier, spread out the football to 5 leagues in the nfl. This reduces games played straight away.

For championship, just condense the bloody things. eg Ulster started this year on 18th May and final was 20th July. To run off a knockout competition when the teams involved are not involved in other competition. Leinster was the same.

Then the finalists have 3 games to get to an-Ireland final which is played on 21st September. That's from 20th July to 21st September. 3 games. Plus more time for the two other provinces.

Complete redrawing of the fixtures is the very basic starting point.

Counties get months to play off their championship. Clubs seem to be played off in a month at the minute. We played 4 weekends in a row recently in championship.

Dual players and multi-representation is now a problem. The romantic days of Teddy McCarthy are gone, was no backdoor then and less draw on the players now. If players want to play both let them but can we really start holding up all fixtures for these players? The hard answer is no.

Its a starting point and might take time but the intercounty season has to be shortened.
+1 to all of that
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

johnneycool

three weeks between games is far too long in the championships, reduce to two and play games on a saturday night as well as a sunday.

But RTÉ and Sky need a full summer schedule!!!

Zulu

Why can't we give the TV stations and more importantly, the players, a full summer schedule? No reason. What we've done is the equivalent of a of small business man who personally delivered his product to customers, get much bigger while still trying to deliver personally, doing the accounts and manning the phones himself rather than properly restructuring for the reality of his new situation.

In the GAA of today, arguing to retain IC dual players, multiple age group IC representation, numerically unequal provincial championships is unrealistic and downright bizarre.

Finding the best solution isn't easy but there are a number of things that could be done that wouldn't need massive changes but would help club players have a season. Would rugby or soccer survive in this country if they hadn't a clue when they were playing and then had games heaped upon each other in a rush to get it done in time for provincial championships?

There is nothing more important in the GAA than restructuring the IC season and by extension the club season and hopefully this will be seriously addressed before it's too late.

Bingo

Quote from: Zulu on October 10, 2014, 03:10:26 PM
Why can't we give the TV stations and more importantly, the players, a full summer schedule? No reason. What we've done is the equivalent of a of small business man who personally delivered his product to customers, get much bigger while still trying to deliver personally, doing the accounts and manning the phones himself rather than properly restructuring for the reality of his new situation.

In the GAA of today, arguing to retain IC dual players, multiple age group IC representation, numerically unequal provincial championships is unrealistic and downright bizarre.

Finding the best solution isn't easy but there are a number of things that could be done that wouldn't need massive changes but would help club players have a season. Would rugby or soccer survive in this country if they hadn't a clue when they were playing and then had games heaped upon each other in a rush to get it done in time for provincial championships?

There is nothing more important in the GAA than restructuring the IC season and by extension the club season and hopefully this will be seriously addressed before it's too late.

This is another thing needs looking at. I've said it before - you play one level IC and everything is run at the one time. Can only benefit player development as well. If the player is good enough to play senior, he doesn't play U21/Minor. The place is freed up in the panel for another player to come in and give's more players a chance at IC level.

AZOffaly

I used to be against this notion somewhat, but now I fully agree. Trying to prepare a county team is difficult enough, and trying to balance dual players is tough enough (especially for the player!!) but when different grades are in play as well, it's incredibly hard to get your full panel together.

johnneycool

Whilst it makes sense, how would you govern it?

Get each county to list a first 24 senior grade players and any U21's would then be ruled out of the u21 championship?

Ditto U21 to minor and so on?

Would these exclusion lists be flexible?

AZOffaly

I'd imagine same as you handle Junior v Senior in the club. You name your squads, but everyone 'eligible' can still play a grade above. As soon as they do, they cannot play in the lower grade anymore.

We've probably all heard the phrase "Why did they bring him on? They've ruined him for the Juniors now"