Ebola

Started by Bingo, October 06, 2014, 06:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Can't see a topic on this but this shit seems to be getting real.

By all accounts its out of control in those 3 three African countries. Its in the states where some punter was at large for days before he fell ill and now a nurse in Madrid has it from treating a medical aid working who was returned from there.

How worried should we be getting?

Is this going to go Walking dead/28 days/shaun of the dead?

Is this going to be the black death of our age?

HiMucker

Say what you like about it, but he was the best right back arsenal ever had imo

seafoid

Quote from: Bingo on October 06, 2014, 06:16:01 PM

By all accounts its out of control in those 3 three African countries. Its in the states where some punter was at large for days before he fell ill and now a nurse in Madrid has it from treating a medical aid working who was returned from there.

I was reading about epidemics , Bingo and apparently Ebola is too lethal to be efficient in spreading to a wide enough number of people to do serious damage.
It doesn't kill thousands even in Sierra Leone. The Black Death it won't be.
Something like a bird flu emerging from Southern China would be more likely to do the business.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Bingo

Quote from: seafoid on October 06, 2014, 06:31:01 PM

I was reading about epidemics , Bingo and apparently Ebola is too lethal to be efficient in spreading to a wide enough number of people to do serious damage.
Something like a bird flu emerging from Southern China would be more likely to do the business.

I read somewhere that they fear is that it develops and mutates into something stronger as it grows from this outbreak.

The numbers in Sierra Leone seem to be totally understated as they only count the people they can treat which is very limited.

seafoid

Quote from: Bingo on October 06, 2014, 06:35:30 PM

I read somewhere that they fear is that it develops and mutates into something stronger as it grows from this outbreak.

The numbers in Sierra Leone seem to be totally understated as they only count the people they can treat which is very limited.

The whole article is worth reading
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/apr/25/how-animals-may-cause-next-big-one/

"Viruses that are effective killers, like Ebola, tend to burn out quickly because they annihilate their hosts before germs can spread too far."

The Iceman

There are a few conspiracy theories floating around that Ebola was brought into the US by the government - to kill off enough people to allow them to pass some ridiculous border control laws.. Whether or not you buy into it all is up to you.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

moysider

Can t believe that things are so lax with movement in and out of these countries.

Not buying into the idea that it is too lethal to become widespread. It must be more contagious than at first thought because I m sure that nurse in Madrid would have been wearing one of those protective suits.

People seem to fall ill quite a while after exposure. It is thought that it can only spread from a person when they are ill but I doubt we know enough about it to assume anything. If it mutates and becomes airborne we would be in some bother.

Time to start stockpiling  ;)

orangeman

Pharmaceutical companies have the cure. They just have to work out how much they can charge for it.

ballinaman

ONeill

Quote from: HiMucker on October 06, 2014, 06:21:59 PM
Say what you like about it, but he was the best right back arsenal ever had imo

Liability.

http://youtu.be/XiWtoydTYN0
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

macdanger2

Quote from: seafoid on October 06, 2014, 08:35:39 PM
Quote from: Bingo on October 06, 2014, 06:35:30 PM

The whole article is worth reading
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/apr/25/how-animals-may-cause-next-big-one/

"Viruses that are effective killers, like Ebola, tend to burn out quickly because they annihilate their hosts before germs can spread too far."

The current outbreak is actually less deadly (approx 50%) than previous outbreaks (approx 90%) which is why it's taking longer to get under control.

I'd expect to see an increased urgency from developed countries now that it has started to affect us directly.

ziggysego

During my relevantly short life so-far, I've seen many outcries of epidemics. None were ever realised. This will be the same.

Testing Accessibility

seafoid

Pandemics really only work if the thing can spread quickly and the population is weakened  - eg Ireland in the Famine or Europe after WW1.
I don't think Ebola will do that much damage this time. 

AFS

Quote from: ziggysego on October 06, 2014, 11:47:38 PM
During my relevantly short life so-far, I've seen many outcries of epidemics. None were ever realised. This will be the same.

This is an epidemic. And there have been plenty of others during your lifetime.

BennyCake

Quote from: orangeman on October 06, 2014, 10:16:54 PM
Pharmaceutical companies have the cure. They just have to work out how much they can charge for it.

That's it.

With this and Aids, they're doing a decent job of killing off a dozen or two Africans.