American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Is that goodnight Cardinals. If Warner doensn't take the field it would be impossible.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Capt Pat

No Warner, Boldin or Cormartie? are you kidding me, they are dead and buried. Unless their defense shows up and starts making lots of turnovers. They need Warner.

DrinkingHarp

The Cards are not going to make a comeback with or without Warner, the Saints D is stepping up pressure a bit better than The Packers could last week.

And with Rodgers-Cromartie out, Sean Payton is pressing the gas on the O to score more especially through the air.

With 49 points in the 1st half sets a new NFL record.

550 YARDS TOTAL in the 1st Half looks like last weeks yardage might get beat  :o
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

lurganblue

Didn't get to see the game on tv. Were the saints impressive or were the cards just lacking because of injuries?

Club Rossa

The Saints were very good last night. They're at home again next weekend and will be hard to beat.
Colts and Ravens was a tame enough affair,the Colts were never in any danger but will need to improve from last night's game.

turk

Ya, good first match last night. Brees is class, but he was having all the time in the world. They moved the chains and scored with ease. Would be interesting to see how the Saints coped if they were absolutely struggling to move the ball against a good defence. Still they are well able to score. Reggie Bush was class.

for the Cardinals I hope Kurt Warner hangs on. They have a good set of receivers and could maybe trade Boldin and get some big lumps of lads in defence.

Watched the second game this morning, anticlimax, but a really good win for the Colts against that defence. The Ravens are one-dimensional on offence. Still it is only Flacco's second year but they seem to lack a bit of spark when needed.

Capt Pat

The Cardinals have no defense and a very good offense. Every once in a while that will make for a great game and victory like they had last week but it won't get it done every week. In the draft last year they took a running back instead of a defensive player. Beanie Wells is good but when he is sharing carries with Hightower on a team that favours passing the ball, what was the point of that. Cardinals should keep Boldin, he was badly missed last night. There is not much point in Warner coming back if they trade away his best receivers. 

Injuries do play a big part at this time of year, because in the regular season the Cardinals might have had those same injuies but if you are playing the Rams or the Lions you still win. In the playoffs you are playing the best teams so you need your best players to beat them. Also if someone goes on IR you can't pick up players off the street to replace them at short notice. So injuries are a big factor at this time of year, the team that avoids them will do very well.

Slept through most of the Ravens Colts game, but Ravens did't get anything done on offense so they could not hope to win. They were a bit unlucky with some refereeing calls that did not go their way and Ed Reed fumbling that interception.

turk

Hi Pat,

That's a great point about drafting Beanie Wells. It didn't fill their biggest need although they were a couple of minutes from winning the superbowl so it is easy look back now.
I think Boldin has wanted out for a couple of seasons. The guys that have stepped up, (Breaston, Doucet and the other young lad) look decent enough. You are right that they haven't a strong defence, bar a couple of top performers in their secondary. If they are close to the salary cap they need to shuffle about and it might be attractive to trade Boldin to a team that is in big need of a top receiver (maybe Chicago, Denver if Marshall goes, Ravens, and some other obvious ones that won't come to mind now). They could pick up some top defensive talent. They are also in an easyish division altough the 49ers will be improving and challenging more strongly from now on.

Minder

They probably should have taken a defensive player last year in the draft but they hadn't a running game at all with Hightower. Wells should become a good every down back, though they will always be a pass first team with the current personnel. Hope that isn't the end of Warner. Doesent seem like 10 years ago he led the Rams to the Super Bowl.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stew

the best game of the weekend should, in theory at least be the next one, Dallas in Viqueen country. The queens have a huge advantage at home in the noisest and crappiest stadia in America, they are playing on turf in a dome and they will get the usual three or four calls they shouldnt get thanks to being at home.

Dallas are red hot, Romo is getting better week to week and the best bit is that clampett Favre is due an awful bad game, the dallas pass rush is very, very good but they are going against the best front four on the planet. Should be a great game

Prediction: Queens 27- Dallas 34. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Disappointing for the Cards, but not completely unexpected. The defense didn't show up until the Saints started just running the clock down. The Cardinals actually don't have a bad run D when they are up against a non-elite passing team, because they are able to hang in against the receivers, and play the linebackers and safeties closer to the line of scrimmage. They've beaten quite a few run first teams that way.

The problem is, as it has been since I first went to Arizona games, that they always struggle against good passing teams, and they just cannot cover people. DRC's injury and Rolle's injury last night didn't help, but they were both there against GB. That is the Cardinal's achilles heal and needs to be addressed. Hagen's injury last night spelled doom as well. He's an underrated guy.

They also cannot tackle. Too busy looking to be the big fella and lay a lad out. Bush got at least two big runs last night because fellas flew at him like torpedoes, leading with their shoulder rather than wrapping up. It's criminal and it's a constant failing. You lay down a big hit when you are absolutely sure of it, you make sure you tackle the guy first and foremost.

I too hope Warner stays, but I'd not be absolutely distraught with Leinhart. He's improved work ethic wise, and he came in last night in a rotten situation and looked good on the drive to set up the missed FG at the end of the 1st half. The 4th quarter didn't tell anything, but in the Cardinals scheme, if Wells and Hightower continue to improve, he'll be okay if they need him.

As for Boldin, I'd say he'll be gone. The issue now is what you can get for him. I'd be looking at keeping Breston, Doucet and Fitz, supplementing them with a second or third round draft pick. Pick either a cover corner to go opposite DRC with the first pick, or else a good tackling linebacker.

For last years draft, I think it was Minder who I agree with, they had to get Wells first. Their run game was atrocious last year until the playoffs when James added a little bit. Hightower is not an every down back. He is a pass catching full back, and when teams see him they think screen or quick out. That's why he gets good runs every now and then, but he is not going to pound the ball for you. Wells can do that, and will get better as he matures especially in holding on to the ball, so I think they are set at tailback. It's a good one two punch.

I think they are set at receiver, even if Boldin goes, because a lot of it is scheme, and quick release, which Leinhart will have to learn, or else leave.

QB is not set, but Leinhart has a chance even if Warner goes. The rest is up to him. They'll drop off next season if Warner's not there, but maybe to 8-8, I don't think they'll go back to 4-12 or 6-10.

Defense is the big problem, and that's where the Cardinals need to draft and trade for. Next year is an uncapped year which will bring it's own problems, and maybe a strike in 2011, so they may be worried about being held to ransom on contracts, but if they don't draft well on defense, and trade for veterans, they'll be in big trouble again.

They are fun to watch though, and if Warner goes, then all I can say is thanks greybeard. LEgend.

thejuice

Bears DE Gaines Adams has passed away due to an unknown illness today. Just 26 years old. RIP.  :(

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d815c91c1&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Carmen Stateside

Farve strikes first. Dallas running the ball well! Vikings 7 cowboys 0

magickingdom

Carmen Stateside

Vikings making Dallas look very ordinary at this stage.