Rugby world cup 2015

Started by rrhf, September 13, 2015, 09:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: JoG2 on October 19, 2015, 12:10:32 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 19, 2015, 09:57:58 AM
The 6 Nations is a second rate competition-we can see now why Argentina declined the offer to join the 6 Nations five years ago and instead joined the Rugby Championship.

did they?

Can you prove it didn't happen?

JoG2

Quote from: deiseach on October 19, 2015, 01:16:42 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 19, 2015, 12:10:32 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 19, 2015, 09:57:58 AM
The 6 Nations is a second rate competition-we can see now why Argentina declined the offer to join the 6 Nations five years ago and instead joined the Rugby Championship.

did they?

Can you prove it didn't happen?

I've emailed Maradona. Will update asap

grounded

Quote from: Canalman on October 19, 2015, 01:08:44 PM
This tournament is the deathknell of the ahem "fat" international rugby player imo.

Too much Lucozade!  In all seriousness you have a point when playing southern hemisphere sides except SA. Watched a replay of the game and Big Mike Ross couldn't make it to the breakdowns or tackles. He's included for the scrum but how many scrums was there and what was the difference in the scrum when McGrath came on? McGrath could at least offer some mobility. Ross will actually perform fine in the 6 nations should he be included as the way the other sides play suits his bulk/size.

JPGJOHNNYG

The rugby calendar is pretty full so a 7 or 8 nations rugby championship in Europe is not going to happen. The only hope for Georgia and Romania is if promotion and relegation is introduced and I think that is unlikely. Rugby in both Italy and Scotland is struggling and if either nation is out of the 6 nations for a year or 2 well that could be terminal.

gallsman

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 19, 2015, 01:44:43 PM
The rugby calendar is pretty full so a 7 or 8 nations rugby championship in Europe is not going to happen. The only hope for Georgia and Romania is if promotion and relegation is introduced and I think that is unlikely. Rugby in both Italy and Scotland is struggling and if either nation is out of the 6 nations for a year or 2 well that could be terminal.

I agree it's unlikely, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed and analysed to determine a way forward. It's a fundamental problem when you have a professional sport based around club competition with national team representation. Unless centrally controlled (which the Celtic nations have, thankfully), you'll always end up with club priorities vs country priorities. And given that in England and France the clubs pay the players, that's fair enough really. Growing the game globally is good for everyone involved in the long run, and that will only work with buy in from the already established nations and their clubs.

The set-up of world rugby in terms of votes is one thing that can change pretty quickly.

deiseach

Quote from: JoG2 on October 19, 2015, 01:36:23 PM
I've emailed Maradona. Will update asap

Did you deep-fry the email?

ludermor

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2015, 11:57:57 AM
I think so. Romania and Georgia are certainly worthy of consideration for the 6 nations. They are no worse than Italy were when they were invited in. I wonder about the likes of Fiji, Samoa and Tonga though. It might be an unpopular thing to say, but I thought they were disappointing in this tournament. Japan were a breath of fresh air, but the rest of the pacific islands (I know I'm taking a liberty including Japan in that term) were poor. But is their an appetite down under to help them? New Zealand, for all their achievements and standing, have raped those countries for years for their best players. Would they really like to see Samoa, Tonga and Fiji given a better tournament to play in? Would they let them into an expanded Rugby Championship?

I have my doubts.
Have they though? The majority of the All Blacks 'islanders' were actually born in New Zealand and the Likes of Tonga/Samoa and Fiji have loads of New Zealand born players playing for them.

Pub Bore

Quote from: Canalman on October 18, 2015, 11:35:12 PM
Scotland / Australia one of the best games of rugby I have ever seen. The second half went by in the blink of an eye.

Know at least two people who I presume will be trying to offload 300 Euro tickets th ey bought for the semi finals full sure Ireland would be there. Wish them well but can't see too much of a take up with two SH teams in it.

Surely Ireland don't do offloads??

Canalman

Quote from: Pub Bore on October 19, 2015, 03:11:45 PM
Quote from: Canalman on October 18, 2015, 11:35:12 PM
Scotland / Australia one of the best games of rugby I have ever seen. The second half went by in the blink of an eye.

Know at least two people who I presume will be trying to offload 300 Euro tickets th ey bought for the semi finals full sure Ireland would be there. Wish them well but can't see too much of a take up with two SH teams in it.

Surely Ireland don't do offloads??

Very good.

Suppose they will be now deemed "second phase tickets".

AZOffaly

They certainly won't be getting over the gain line.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: gallsman on October 19, 2015, 11:36:02 AM
. Comments to the effect of "South Africa can't be that good, they lost to Japan" completely ignore the fact that the Japan performance that day probably would have beaten everyone in the tournament outside maybe the All Blacks and New Zealand.

Are they not the one and the same?  ;)

/Jim.

Walter Cronc

Haven't really read through the posts lads but what's the solution now moving forward?

I think the 6 Nations have to go for bonus points for tries scored if we ever want to see a NH team challenging again.

As for Ireland where do we need strengthening?

Areas I feel we need to look at are:

Front Row - Mike Ross really struggled yesterday. The man has been a soldier for us!

Second Row - Realistically we have 3 international standard players here and with Ryan's recent injury record its essential we develop more

Back row - Probably the one area of the field we do tend to produce a high volume of players. Volume is one thing power and ability is another. Bar his try the gulf between Jordi and POM was vast. We've spoken before about young O'Donoghue at Munster - perhaps a bit raw but we'll need to fast track him.

Scrum Half - Really need to look at this area. Murray needs to be told to speed the thing up and not take that extra second to set himself - vital at test level. Redden getting no younger and Boss gone in my opinion. Who are the other options? McGrath cant even get a game for Leinster - very disappointing.

Out Half - Madigan showed real promise in this tournament. Lets be honest none of us thought he had the French performance in him. Yes yesterday there were a few iffy moments but he's certainly a good back up. I'm no fan of Paddy Jackson so who else could we look at? Indiana what about Ross Byrne? Do you rate him?

Wings - Can we please get our best finisher in the squad! Yes Gilroy might not be the best footballer in the Dave Kearney mould but jesus he can finish and at 24 has plenty in him! Any other Academy players?

Centres - Really need to look at this area. Darren Cave - no thanks! Just not at this level. I'd rather see Stuart McCloskey given a run. He's raw as hell but has freakish power and good hands! Is Harrison Brewer developing at Leinster? We've already spoken about Ringrose. Lets get him fast tracked.

Full Back - This is an area of concern. No real back up to Kearney long term. Zebo has talent but lacks the power perhaps. Still would give him a go.

That was just a brain dump so dont take it overly serious. Open to further suggestions/corrections!!

AZOffaly

I'd like to see young Holland at Munster get a few games with the province this year. He's only a gasún, but he looks to have the skills. Second row is a worry. Maybe Foley can take another step forward, but Henderson would prefer to be in the back row probably, and donnacha Ryan is no spring chicken. Toner will be there for a while, but we need another lock.

Bord na Mona man

Is it time for Ireland to ease off on chasing 6 nations and take a more long term approach? They've won the last two, though haven't really inspired.
Looking at the 2016 fixtures; Wales first, 6 days later a trip to Paris to play a presumably resurgent French. Then England in Twickenham in week 3. 

I'd have my doubts that Ireland can win all three, especially with an ageing team. Maybe just accept this likelihood and try a different approach. New faces, a more creative style - ball in hand, risk taking, offloads etc.

Schmidt should also note that there is a prior form in managers playing themselves out of a job in the 6 nations campaign after a WC. Eddie O'Sullivan and Brian Ashton 2008, Kidney 2012 (he got another year but was a goner after 2012).

Will 2016 be another campaign that seemingly hinges on how much sellotape we can put on crocked big name players, or will it be a tournament where Ireland show more adventure and are prepared to lose 2-3 games?

WT4E

Weren't Argentina great to watch - I thought it was an awesome display and to think it took them 28 years to develop into playing like that.

Its taken Ireland 136 years to develop into the crap that we have to endure - even when they are winning its hard to watch. Lets keep going to we get 3 metres out and then we'll all fall over the line and get a try!!!!! DUNG!