Dublin on Saturday

Started by bogball88, August 20, 2015, 11:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

A lot of chat about places doing the best pint of plain - Peter's Pub for me. If you're there late enough they'll start whipping out the ham and cheese toasties. Although that would deny you the pleasure of a drunken Zaytoon.

muppet

Quote from: gallsman on August 20, 2015, 08:06:28 PM
A lot of chat about places doing the best pint of plain - Peter's Pub for me. If you're there late enough they'll start whipping out the ham and cheese toasties. Although that would deny you the pleasure of a drunken Zaytoon.

I am afraid to ask!
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

easytiger95

INDIANA

Quote from: ballinaman on August 20, 2015, 03:44:16 PM
Worth calling in here on the way up from Connolly station to the match...... 8)

Reminds me of a few boozers in Ballina. ;D

Rossfan

Anyplace selling  pints less than €5 up there now - that would be safe to go into that is.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Canalman

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 20, 2015, 07:11:23 PM
The Swan on Aungier Street is an excellent pub. Great pints of stout. I would second the Palace. Mullligan's needs to pick up their socks. There pints are 5 out of 10 at best.

Agree about the Swan. Thought it was closed tbh . Had some great pints there back in the day. For some reason the hooray henrys of Wexford and Georges Street areas avoided it thankfully.

Foggy Dew pregentrification was a great spot altogether.

Denn Forever

Quote from: gallsman on August 20, 2015, 08:06:28 PM

How many of you will there be?  Is Peter's Pub not tiny?

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

easytiger95

Small but cosy - also, despite the location, it's never truly jammers there (or at least i haven't seen it to be) but it wouldn't exactly be craic central - pint and chat rather than pint, pint, chat up, pint, smoke, pint, chat up some more, pint, pint, shot, pint, shot, no longer able to chat up, too full for pint, stick on shot, roar at DJ have they no Stone Roses, shot, taxi, Coppers, shot, puke, too packed, taxi, Mcgowans, shot, puke again, home.

Or is that just me?

(Ten years ago)

ONeill

What's Gogarty's like now? Used to be a good oul trad session upstairs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

50fiftyball

3 young fellas heading down for the match this weekend, we've a hotel booked for saturday night, will probably try get down early for a bit of a session, we'd want to avoid Temple Bar as was the case on the last few trips - but always seem to get sucked towards it!

We've provisionally booked a place for Sunday night. Have went down as last few years on the Saturday jsut and up the road Sunday (we're neutrals).

Is there much of a buzz about the Sunday night or are you better heading up the road if your not at the banquet etc.

Been told the Sunday can be dead enough with ones heading home to celebrate etc.. Have up to Friday to cancel anyway!

deiseach

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 20, 2015, 05:17:53 PM
I was in Kehoes there a couple of times in the past month - and the pint surpasses Mulligans by some way. Also, being able to stand outside and people watch on a pleasant night takes care of the hipster problem. Grogans is another one with a fine pint but the hipster/crusty infestation there is completely intolerable.

Plus ça change...

balladmaker

QuoteWorth calling in here on the way up from Connolly station to the match...... 8)

The Sunset House, that pic brought back many a memory from many years ago on match days!

macdanger2

Quote from: 50fiftyball on September 14, 2015, 01:06:28 PM
3 young fellas heading down for the match this weekend, we've a hotel booked for saturday night, will probably try get down early for a bit of a session, we'd want to avoid Temple Bar as was the case on the last few trips - but always seem to get sucked towards it!

We've provisionally booked a place for Sunday night. Have went down as last few years on the Saturday jsut and up the road Sunday (we're neutrals).

Is there much of a buzz about the Sunday night or are you better heading up the road if your not at the banquet etc.

Been told the Sunday can be dead enough with ones heading home to celebrate etc.. Have up to Friday to cancel anyway!

With Kerry & Dublin being in it, there mightn't be a huge amount of craic around but the usual spots would still be busy. Definitely worth staying around until 9 or 10 anyway for post match pints

50fiftyball

Cheers macdanger, staying in Maldron Parnell Square - haven't stayed in this location before, usually stay on other side of the Liffey (around T.B. or Stephen's Green).

Will probably just play it by ear, if we get up Sunday morning and the craics good, and we all pint, that will be driving home out of the question!