Dublin on Saturday

Started by bogball88, August 20, 2015, 11:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Worth calling in here on the way up from Connolly station to the match...... 8)

Hardy

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 20, 2015, 02:11:39 PM
+1 for Mulligans and The Palace. O'Neills on Suffolk St have a deadly carvery lunch, good pints but lots of tourists. Take Gallsman's advice and don't hang around the Connolly St/Busaras area.

It might be a while since you were in Mulligans, 5Sams. It's gone to the dogs, quality-of-pint-wise. For a decent pint in proper pub surroundings and without intrusive extraneous noises (loud TV, musak, noisy kids, etc.) I endorse the Long Hall, Palace, Gaffneys, Kehoes in S. Anne St., and Ryans of Parkgate St.

5 Sams

Quote from: Hardy on August 20, 2015, 04:02:18 PM
+1 for Mulligans and The Palace. O'Neills on Suffolk St have a deadly carvery lunch, good pints but lots of tourists. Take Gallsman's advice and don't hang around the Connolly St/Busaras area.

It might be  while since you were in Mulligans, 5Sams. It's gone to the dogs, quality-of-pint-wise. For a decent pint in proper pub surroundings and without intrusive extraneous noises (loud TV, musak, noisy kids, etc.) I endorse the Long Hall, Palace, Gaffneys, Kehoes in S. Anne St., and Ryans of Parkgate St.

It's while alright Hardy...that's a pity. Kehoes is another great shout thought it gets very crowded. Toners on Baggot St would always get a visit as well.
The Aristocrat Years

gallsman

It might be a while since you were in Mulligans, 5Sams. It's gone to the dogs, quality-of-pint-wise. For a decent pint in proper pub surroundings and without intrusive extraneous noises (loud TV, musak, noisy kids, etc.) I endorse the Long Hall, Palace, Gaffneys, Kehoes in S. Anne St., and Ryans of Parkgate St.

Just have to tolerate the intrusive extraneous noises coming from half the gobshites in Dublin.

Hardy

Quote from: gallsman on August 20, 2015, 04:18:52 PM

Just have to tolerate the intrusive extraneous noises coming from half the gobshites in Dublin.

There is the hipster infestation issue OK. I'd avoid it at night, but grand in the afternoon.

5 Sams

Quote from: Hardy on August 20, 2015, 04:25:18 PM

There is the hipster infestation issue OK. I'd avoid it at night, but grand in the afternoon.

Isn't that the place where Paul Galvin and Oliver Callan had a "difference of opinion".
The Aristocrat Years

gallsman

All you old farts and your daytime drinking. Pissheads the lot of you.

easytiger95

I was in Kehoes there a couple of times in the past month - and the pint surpasses Mulligans by some way. Also, being able to stand outside and people watch on a pleasant night takes care of the hipster problem. Grogans is another one with a fine pint but the hipster/crusty infestation there is completely intolerable.

Canalman

Agreed, for a sneaky afternoon pint (s) you can't beat Kehoes or Stags Head. Kennedys on Westland Row was excellent also but not so sure it is open anymore.

For what it's worth, places I try to avoid are Mulligans, Davy Byrnes, the place opposite Davy Byrnes, the place around the corner from Davy Byrnes, Bruxelles, Hairy Lemon and the Palace Bar on non match days when you can stand out the front (too dark out the back, too narrow in the middle and no seating out the front).

Spoilt for choice really .

easytiger95

Quote from: Canalman on August 20, 2015, 05:37:27 PM
Agreed, for a sneaky afternoon pint (s) you can't beat Kehoes or Stags Head. Kennedys on Westland Row was excellent also but not so sure it is open anymore.

For what it's worth, places I try to avoid are Mulligans, Davy Byrnes, the place opposite Davy Byrnes, the place around the corner from Davy Byrnes, Bruxelles, Hairy Lemon and the Palace Bar on non match days when you can stand out the front (too dark out the back, too narrow in the middle and no seating out the front).

Spoilt for choice really .

I don't avoid Mulligans, i still have a sneaking affection for it, used to work nearby, but has definitely gone down hill. Davy Byrnes is not great, but downstairs to the left in Bruxelles is great if you fancy unleashing your inner 90's indie kid the odd time - nothing wrong with some tunes if they're decent. Always disliked the Hairy Lemon and thought the Palace was a bit over rated.

Haven't been drinking around town enough these days to offer any concrete recommendations - but if you want trendy, then Georges Street still can't be beat I think. Also, Ron Black's, smallest pub in Dublin is always worth a shot for a good guinness, also the Duke can be a bit of craic - another old work haunt.

easytiger95

forgot completely!! Dame Tavern, always good,  i know there can be a load of tourists but the pint is excellent, there's usually a really good lad playing acoustic tunes, and you can't help but have craic there post match.

muppet

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 20, 2015, 06:10:12 PM
forgot completely!! Dame Tavern, always good,  i know there can be a load of tourists but the pint is excellent, there's usually a really good lad playing acoustic tunes, and you can't help but have craic there post match.

Ages since I was there, but the last time there was one big guy playing great guitar songs from the 60s, 70s & 80s.
MWWSI 2017

gerrykeegan

The Swan on Aungier Street is an excellent pub. Great pints of stout. I would second the Palace. Mullligan's needs to pick up their socks. There pints are 5 out of 10 at best.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

laoislad

I actually like Sinnots also and any of the Porterhouse pubs.
You get a great burger in Sinnots.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hardy

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 20, 2015, 04:31:33 PM

Isn't that the place where Paul Galvin and Oliver Callan had a "difference of opinion".

That's the one.