Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: trailer on March 04, 2021, 04:51:36 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 04, 2021, 04:41:34 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on March 04, 2021, 12:20:55 PM
Deluded Chelsea supporters claimed Chelsea's poor form under Frank Lampard was the players' fault, not Lampard's

But Tuchel has transformed Chelsea in a short time, because the players now know what they are doing - they are coached and instructed properly

Lampard did not know what he was doing

And neither does Solskjaer

Tuchel does

Remains to be seen how Tuchel fares at Chelsea, the pressure to succeed there is high. At the moment they are getting a new manager bounce but even during that run they couldn't beat or score against a team managed a fella that as you claim doesn't know what he's doing.

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 04, 2021, 04:07:04 PM
Solskjaer looks to have been no worse than his predecessors, and certainly hasn't been out of his depth - as was the fear. But neither has he done anything to suggest that he's any better than them. Moyes, Van Gaal & Mourinho were all given the road within a couple of years after overseeing this level of underachievement - why should Solskjaer be any different?

Moyes took over a team that had won the league comfortably and his minimum target would be a top 4 finish. We was sacked once top 4 was no longer achievable.

Van Gaal was gone once a top 4 finish wasn't reached as well.

Jose sacked midway into his 3rd full season, 11 points off 4th and left a toxic environment behind.

As for Solskjaer he'll be kept on for at least another season if United finish this season in the top 4 or wins the Europa league. No guarantee that either will happen especially in current form.

I think Ole will get another summer window. If he can't improve and by improve I mean sustain a league challenge then he's on the first boat back to Norway. But like I said next year is going to be harder not easier. No way Liverpool will be as bad. Chelsea will probably spend so he's going to be up against it.
There's a fair chance City will strengthen and moon walk the league next year. Imagine they get Haaland ffs. Game over.
I think people saying the style of play hasn't improved are forgetting how shite the football was under Van Gaal and towards the end of Jose's time. It was terrible. He played crap football and still got beat ffs. Ole's getting slammed for draws in similar games. I'm not convinced he will be successful but there's lots of outside reasons for that even if his team is playing better next year.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 04, 2021, 04:41:34 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 04, 2021, 04:07:04 PM
Solskjaer looks to have been no worse than his predecessors, and certainly hasn't been out of his depth - as was the fear. But neither has he done anything to suggest that he's any better than them. Moyes, Van Gaal & Mourinho were all given the road within a couple of years after overseeing this level of underachievement - why should Solskjaer be any different?

Moyes took over a team that had won the league comfortably and his minimum target would be a top 4 finish. We was sacked once top 4 was no longer achievable.

Van Gaal was gone once a top 4 finish wasn't reached as well.

Jose sacked midway into his 3rd full season, 11 points off 4th and left a toxic environment behind.

As for Solskjaer he'll be kept on for at least another season if United finish this season in the top 4 or wins the Europa league. No guarantee that either will happen especially in current form.

That's all true, and it's kind of my point. Aiming for a particular position in the table, other than top, is pretty arbitrary and often doesn't really say much about your direction of travel.

Where you finish in the table is as much about the performance of your main competitors as it is about your own, and probably isn't a very reliable indicator of progress. This season is amble evidence of that.

Points totals seem more reliable for year on year comparisons. And United's points totals have remained stagnant at around the 65-70 mark across several managers now, including Solskjaer. If he is to remain in the job for much longer, then he has to show some evidence of ability to lift the club above this benchmark.

I wouldn't be agitating for the manager's removal just yet, though. I think he has done an OK job and deserves a summer of proper investment to see if he get things moving. But the clock is ticking and at some point soon a decision will have to be made as to whether he is really any better than the men sacked before him.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 04, 2021, 05:58:09 PM
That's all true, and it's kind of my point. Aiming for a particular position in the table, other than top, is pretty arbitrary and often doesn't really say much about your direction of travel.

Where you finish in the table is as much about the performance of your main competitors as it is about your own, and probably isn't a very reliable indicator of progress. This season is amble evidence of that.

Points totals seem more reliable for year on year comparisons. And United's points totals have remained stagnant at around the 65-70 mark across several managers now, including Solskjaer. If he is to remain in the job for much longer, then he has to show some evidence of ability to lift the club above this benchmark.

I wouldn't be agitating for the manager's removal just yet, though. I think he has done an OK job and deserves a summer of proper investment to see if he get things moving. But the clock is ticking and at some point soon a decision will have to be made as to whether he is really any better than the men sacked before him.

Top 4 this season would be progress as it would be the first time since Ferguson retired that United had back to back top 4 finishes.

Points totals don't tell the full tale, one of Uniteds best ever teams (treble team in 1999) only got 79 points. You'll likely be left waiting for that proper investment.  Solskjaer already come out to say little money will be spent this summer, that's what those at the top has already told him. The team requires 3 or 4 top quality starters to mount a challenge and I can't see that happening this summer. He'll kept on so long as United finish in the top 4, these owners have no real ambition for trophies.

GJL

Better all over the pitch. Result never in doubt.  8)

Rich Ricci

Good performance again at the Etihad. City's style of play really suits Utd. Luke Shaw had a great game again and has been one of the stand outs all season.

Real shame about the Utd run of results that occurred after going top. We were never going to win the league but it would still have been nice to have been able to apply a bit more pressure to City.

Cunny Funt

Full credit to Solskjaer today got his tactics, game plan and match ups spot on to keep this impressive unbeaten away run going in style.

Martial had his best performance since last season and I think only Shaw was better than him today and Shaw has probably been Uniteds best and most consistent player this season.

That's 6 clean sheets in 8 games against the traditional top 6 teams this season which proves that United defence are more than decent when fully focused.

The one black spot was Rashford going off injured. With the difficult run in and fighting on 3 fronts they can't afford to lose him to injury.

nrico2006

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 07, 2021, 07:11:41 PM
Full credit to Solskjaer today got his tactics, game plan and match ups spot on to keep this impressive unbeaten away run going in style.

Martial had his best performance since last season and I think only Shaw was better than him today and Shaw has probably been Uniteds best and most consistent player this season.

That's 6 clean sheets in 8 games against the traditional top 6 teams this season which proves that United defence are more than decent when fully focused.

The one black spot was Rashford going off injured. With the difficult run in and fighting on 3 fronts they can't afford to lose him to injury.

Uniteds tactics in the big 6 games is to flood their half of the pitch which is why they haven't conceded as many in the big 6 games.  Their defence is still shit.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Cunny Funt

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 07, 2021, 08:18:49 PM
Uniteds tactics in the big 6 games is to flood their half of the pitch which is why they haven't conceded as many in the big 6 games.  Their defence is still shit.

Even the best defences around need a certain amount of protection. Biggest problem I see with Uniteds defence is the habit of individual errors and lapses in concentration and that will continue to happen when not fully focused.

Boycey

Ah boys, enjoy the night. They did win after all  :)

pbat

The dropped points 3 against Sheffield United, 2 at West Brom , 2 at Palace and 2 at Arsenal an 2 at home to Everton they are sickening now. Yes City probably would have still won the league but at less it might have been interesting.

Maroon Manc

That United back 4 sat far higher up then the pitch then they have done previously in the bigger games for longer periods, there were signs of it last weekend against Chelsea too in the 1st half. The narrative seems to be United just counter attacked which is incorrect, United did plenty of pressing and they didn't just let City's defenders/midfield stroll out with it. Apart from Sterling who's a wide player City didn't have the pace or power to get in behind United which really suited United's centre halfs who were both superb in general play although Lindelof again got caught twice with crosses over his head, both which would have been cut out by a centre half who's good aerially.

As for Henderson it was great to see our keeper come and collect set pieces instead of punching everything which De Gea does, took the pressure of on several occasions.

United were far from excellent in the final 3rd, on several occasions they should have put a move together to test Ederson but failed too. Great result though and Ole deserves more credit for his tactics, United were brave yesterday. We've been here several times before though so won't be getting carried way.

TabClear

Credit where its due, United were excellent yesterday. Shaw has been exceptional all season, he is deceptively quick and has been pretty solid defensively. Martial must be so frustrating for United fans as yesterday he looked the real deal but then he disappears completely in other matches.

Foden looked lively when he came on and had he been introduced earlier it might have made a difference. The biggest concern out of this game yesterday is that City decide they need a "proper" number 9 and go and sign Haaland or MBappe in the summer. If that happens this season's title race might be viewed as close in a couple of years.

NAG1

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 08, 2021, 08:13:59 AM
That United back 4 sat far higher up then the pitch then they have done previously in the bigger games for longer periods, there were signs of it last weekend against Chelsea too in the 1st half. The narrative seems to be United just counter attacked which is incorrect, United did plenty of pressing and they didn't just let City's defenders/midfield stroll out with it. Apart from Sterling who's a wide player City didn't have the pace or power to get in behind United which really suited United's centre halfs who were both superb in general play although Lindelof again got caught twice with crosses over his head, both which would have been cut out by a centre half who's good aerially.

As for Henderson it was great to see our keeper come and collect set pieces instead of punching everything which De Gea does, took the pressure of on several occasions.

United were far from excellent in the final 3rd, on several occasions they should have put a move together to test Ederson but failed too. Great result though and Ole deserves more credit for his tactics, United were brave yesterday. We've been here several times before though so won't be getting carried way.

Exactly right, City's shape allowed United to press up really high and they were brave enough to do. This meant that they 't couldn't get out from the back easily, the pressure was on every single time because of a good work rate. Lead in fairness mostly by Dan James.

Good solid performance all round and a really pleasing win.

Ed Ricketts

300 years after it was first promised, today it seems that the club have actually appointed a Director of Football.

Well, a 'Football Director' - maybe that's the same thing? Darren Fletcher also given a bump. Hopefully signifies an intention to change how the club goes about recruitment. Matt Judge still there, though.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 10, 2021, 04:34:49 PM
300 years after it was first promised, today it seems that the club have actually appointed a Director of Football.

Well, a 'Football Director' - maybe that's the same thing? Darren Fletcher also given a bump. Hopefully signifies an intention to change how the club goes about recruitment. Matt Judge still there, though.

About time, nothing short of shambolic the way the club has been run since Fergie left; In fairness since Ole came in at least there's manager there who appears to see the bigger picture when it came to player recruitment.

A big summer ahead, as long as United make the CL and with the return of fans next season then United financially will be a in position to sign someone like Haaland and a top centre half although can't say I have any faith in it happening. I've watched a fair bit of football the last year and can't say there's too many centre half's who look that impressive.