Tyrone 2010 model

Started by tyroneman, September 01, 2009, 06:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quotedooher is past it. that was there for all to see this year. his legs are gone and this was no clearer than when he was up against cork. there is no room for the likes of ageing players on teams these days, unless they offer height or pace - neither of which dooher has.

mcguigan is the same. the coolness on the ball he brings is becoming irrelevant: the game is too fast and there is less room for forwards like mcguigan to operate in. his cunning is soon snuffed out. see tyrone v cork semi-final

i think hughes' legs have gone also.

mulligan needs to get leaner/fitter.

mcginley isn't fast enough for mid-field these days. probably best operating around the 1/2 forward line.

Dooher is getting on but I think the fact that he was injured and missed 8 months was the reason why he wasn't on top form.  Hughes' legs have gone?  He is just after getting Ulster Player of the Year.  As for Mulligan he is in good shape and has been this year, and played well in the Championship in a different role.  The most laughable comment is the one on McGinley, has he lost his speed overnight?  The man is in his prime.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

armaghniac

from de Indo

THE Tyrone squad can expect the 2010 regime to be the toughest they have ever encountered following the extension of Mickey Harte's reign as manager for a further two years.

His latest term was due to end next year but the Tyrone County Board readily agreed to his request to continue beyond that by announcing on Tuesday night that he would be in charge until at least 2012.

The long-term arrangement will allow Harte to embark on a dramatic overhaul of the squad and, judging by comments in his autobiography, he will approach it with a ruthless attitude.

In a clear message to the current squad that they will be under severe pressure to retain their places, he has promised to give six or seven of the 2008 All-Ireland minor-winning team their chance.

"They will be put on strength and conditioning programmes for the McKenna Cup. If they make it, that means a handful of current panellists are going to lose out. That sends out its own message to everyone. We will retain a large panel for the start of the year but prune it all the way to the championship. There will be no comfort zones. No hiding places, No excuses. We all have things to prove. Success costs. We start paying now."

He also expects that players will ask questions of themselves, however uncomfortable the answers may be.

"They must prove themselves. It's about them. What are they doing. Why should they be considered serious contenders for a starting place? If that forces them to face some uncomfortable truths, they must."

Harte will demand more of himself and his backroom team too. He acknowledges that his role will have to be addressed as part of the renewal process.

connect

"It's a challenge for all of us. My own contribution will have to change. I can push myself harder. I can find new ways to inform our players. I can connect with them better.

"Our experience with Sean Cavanagh on the morning of the Cork game and the way the team failed to counter Cork's kick-out tactic despite all our work shows the need to continually improve our methods of communication with the players. Are they seeing the game as we do? Are we doing enough to understand their state of mind? The coming season is going to force us to monitor individuals more closely."

He has promised to carry out more one-on-one assessments and provide extra details for players on their own performances and development.

He met the squad for a 2009 debrief in early September, during which they were split into groups of five or six. Among the items discussed were whether Tyrone had wandered into a comfort zone this year, did they allow complacency to set in, were they fatigued from training, did they push each other enough and was there sufficient communication among all components of the camp.

At that stage, the squad wouldn't have known that Harte would definitely be in charge until 2012. However, it's now clear that he will be very much the main man for the next three seasons so there can be no escape routes.

"We can't fix what went wrong in 2009. The learning is all for the future," he wrote.

Having been handed the keys to drive Tyrone forward for the next seasons, Harte will now begin examining the engine, a process which is likely to lead to the end of some careers as he sets about rebuilding for the next coming.

- Martin Breheny
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

INDIANA

surely harte has something to prove at this stage as  well with the sean kavanagh debacle.

As regards dooher - we already seen the folly of getting rid of experienced players in Dublin. Wouldn't recommend it. Youth is seen as some sort of a recipe for success these days. kerry this year proved that theory to be bullshit.

Zapatista

Quote from: INDIANA on November 06, 2009, 12:25:49 PM
surely harte has something to prove at this stage as  well with the sean kavanagh debacle.

As regards dooher - we already seen the folly of getting rid of experienced players in Dublin. Wouldn't recommend it. Youth is seen as some sort of a recipe for success these days. kerry this year proved that theory to be bullshit.

I don't think he has anything to prove. The book has been launched. I'd say that 'debacle' is pretty much over.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zapatista on November 06, 2009, 12:31:58 PM

I don't think he has anything to prove. The book has been launched. I'd say that 'debacle' is pretty much over.

I doubt it.  Harte directly questioned Cavanagh's commitment to meeting the massive expectations he has set himself. Reading between the lines in the book- he thinks Cavanagh bottled it. I thought it was appalling on Harte's behalf quite honestly considering Cavanagh is probably the best player in the country.

oakleafgael

Quote from: INDIANA on November 06, 2009, 12:41:05 PM

I doubt it.  Harte directly questioned Cavanagh's commitment to meeting the massive expectations he has set himself. Reading between the lines in the book- he thinks Cavanagh bottled it. I thought it was appalling on Harte's behalf quite honestly considering Cavanagh is probably the best player in the country.

It doesnt really matter what you think though because by the time the season starts it will all be forgot about. If anything it will push Cavanagh more to get back to his form of 08 injuries permitting.

Zapatista

No he didn't. Harte directly questioned his management of the situation in the build up and at that time. In the context of the book there is no need to read between the lines. It's all in the lines.

supersarsfields

Quote from: oakleafgael on November 06, 2009, 12:44:39 PM
surely harte has something to prove at this stage as  well with the Sean kavanagh debacle.

It doesnt really matter what you think though because by the time the season starts it will all be forgot about. If anything it will push Cavanagh more to get back to his form of 08 injuries permitting.

I'd have to agree with Oakleafgael. Sean may have been annoyed at what MH said, but even if he is, it's not as if he's going to let it affect his commitment to winning. If anything it could give him another source of motivation. I don't believe that there has to be a personal like/dislike relationship between manager and player. As long as both are committed to the cause that should be enough to bridge any gaps. No matter what Sean might now think of Mickey personally I'm sure he knows he's the best man for the job and will be content with that.

redhugh

Mickey Harte has played a huge role in big Sean's life for a long time now,the two know each other well and there is obviously a great deal of mutual respect.Mickey said what he did in the book and Sean came out and responded to it.Matter well and truly closed in my poinion.Why do people feel the need to keep digging for more dirt on the matter.It has been dealt with. Mickey has  acknowledged that  there was work to be done and that there  were communication issues which for me is him saying mistakes have been made and will be learnt from.Communication is a two way street ,so in part he is accepting some responsibility.

INDIANA

Not digging for anything- as said above its a natural reaction to actually reading the book which I have and thats the inference I drew from it. You wouldn't hear Brian Cody making such a gaffe- was surprsied at Harte. Its a big year for him as well considering the talent he has at this disposal.Hope he realises it.

Zulu

QuoteYou wouldn't hear Brian Cody making such a gaffe- was surprsied at Harte.

That's cause that man doesn't say anything high up or low down. A book by Cody should be avoided unless you want to read how Laois (after a 30 point beating) gave Kilkenny a real good test.

redhugh

Quote from: INDIANA on November 06, 2009, 02:59:12 PM
Not digging for anything- as said above its a natural reaction to actually reading the book which I have and thats the inference I drew from it. You wouldn't hear Brian Cody making such a gaffe- was surprsied at Harte. Its a big year for him as well considering the talent he has at this disposal.Hope he realises it.

Indiana - did'nt mean that it was you digging ,just mean folk in general.I was as surprised as you when I read the part about Sean and the Cork game and posted to that effect. I just think that it's been kicked about for long enough.I was'nt getting at anyone in particular just making the point.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on November 06, 2009, 03:03:59 PM
QuoteYou wouldn't hear Brian Cody making such a gaffe- was surprsied at Harte.

That's cause that man doesn't say anything high up or low down. A book by Cody should be avoided unless you want to read how Laois (after a 30 point beating) gave Kilkenny a real good test.

In fairness Zulu Harte's comments on Cavanagh were of tommy lyons-esque proportions. Thats the point I was making.
Its alright talking in the papers about how many players you're going to cut, and giving minors chances and bla, bla bla. Just somewhere along the lines maybe he should realise his selections last year didn't cover him in glory especially against Cork.