Gabriel Irwin
Ray Dempsey
Keith Higgins
Eugene Lavin
Andy Moran
Pat Fallon
Conor Mortimor

What's that?

Just a reminder that we have had other great players not just Ciaran.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Canalman

Can't comment too much on most counties but would go as follows

Tyrone   Sean Cavanagh
Kildare   Anthony Rainbow
Cork      Anthony Lynch
Donegal Brian Roper (massively underrated imo )
Wexford Mattie Forde
Armagh    Stevie McDonnell
Derry      Anthony Tohill
Laois       Paraic Clancy

As for Dublin, Kerry , Meath  I couldn't really pick one out of the many great players they have had over the years. Probably seen these counties play the most .

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Canalman on February 27, 2014, 10:15:55 AM
Can't comment too much on most counties but would go as follows

Tyrone   Sean Cavanagh
Kildare   Anthony Rainbow
Cork      Anthony Lynch
Donegal Brian Roper (massively underrated imo )
Wexford Mattie Forde
Armagh    Stevie McDonnell
Derry      Anthony Tohill
Laois       Paraic Clancy

As for Dublin, Kerry , Meath  I couldn't really pick one out of the many great players they have had over the years. Probably seen these counties play the most .

as good a player as cavanagh is , i cant see how anyone could pick him ahead of PTG  ???
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

haranguerer

Quote from: LeoMc on February 26, 2014, 05:05:16 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on February 26, 2014, 02:19:12 PM
Based on what I've seen. Had to leave a few out.

Antrim - Kevin Madden
Armagh - Kieran McGeeny
Carlow -
Cavan - Dermot McCabe
Clare -
Cork - Shea Fahey
Derry - Anthony Tohill
Donegal - Michael Murphy
Down - James McCarten
Dublin - Stephen Cluxton
Fermanagh - Rory Gallagher
Galway - Sean og de Poar
Kerry - Maurice Fitzgerald
Kildare - Glen Ryan
Kilkenny - 
Laois - Ross Munnelly
Leitrim -
Limerick - Stephen Kelly
Longford - Paul Barden
Louth -
Mayo - Aiden O'Shea
Meath - Trevor Giles
Monaghan - Tommy Freeman
Offaly - Ciaran McManus
Roscommon - Frankie Dolan
Sligo - Eamon O'Hara
Tipperary - Declan Browne
Tyrone - Sean Cavanagh
Waterford -
Westmeath - Dessie Dolan
Wexford - Mattie Forde
Wicklow - Leighton Glynn

By the age profile of the other players ion your list I am assuming you mean James McCartan Junior?

No Canavan?
Rory Gallagher?

Probably the most gifted. Still holds the record for the highest score in a match in championship football, 3 goals and 9 points is tight going, especially in the Ulster Championship for a minnow like Fermanagh.

Raymie was some player too. Scored a goal against Cavan in the late 90s which is the best goal I've ever seen (and was in the last few minutes while 3 points down, i.e. necessary, with all the pressure that brings), and in a thread discussing such scores, I saw a few cavan posters saying the same.

I never saw much of McGinnity, I'm pretty sure he wasn't going for that goal everyone talks about though. The likes of Paul Brewster and Paddy McGuinness were serious players, and the only thing that prevents them from being spoken with in the same breath as any of these is the relative lack of success during their time. Ryan McCluskey too could be considered, Owens suffered a lot through injury but was a hero, for me for Fermanagh though its Marty McGrath. Had his share of injuries too, but gave Fermanagh a presence they lacked, and was just a real leader.

blanketattack

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 25, 2014, 03:39:00 PM
Stephen O'Neill is the player that could have been up there if his career hadn't been decimated with injury.  He rose to prominence at an early age but University committments etc curtailed his involvement in 2003, although he came on to kick 2 points that took Tyrone home.  In 2005 he had a summer no player has matched since.  He was untouchable that year and in my time watching football there has been no player better at scoring off either foot.  Unfortunately, the beginning of 2006 saw the start of the saerious knee and hamstring injuries that were to affect him for the rest of his career.  He still had a lot of good moments, but to be honest was never the same player again due to training restrictions and long term impact that the injuries had on his speed and agility.

I agree what a great talent Stephen O'Neill but as far as the best two-footed player of recent times, Maurice Fitzgerald is the undoubted king in my opinion.
Take this for a free off the ground with his 'weaker' foot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwEdA5yR5Ec
How many players would be even able to come close to doing that off the ground with their weaker foot in a challenge match never mind have such ability that they'd be confident enough to do it in an All-Ireland final?
The best I saw was in a UCC match when he scored a 45 off both, a sideline kick off both and a point from play off both.
I've seen a fair few players who were two footed from play, but very few players who were two footed from dead ball kicks off the hands as well, and nobody else except Maurice Fitz who were two footed from play, dead ball kicks off the hands and dead ball kicks off the ground. I know Stephen O'Neill took a lot of frees but I don't recall him ever taking one with his right?

nrico2006

I remember hearing that Mark Lynch used to hit frees off both feet too.  Didn't Connolly take one this year of his weaker foot?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mikhailov

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 27, 2014, 02:55:44 PM
I remember hearing that Mark Lynch used to hit frees off both feet too.  Didn't Connolly take one this year of his weaker foot?

Yea he possibly did but 'blanketattack' refers to the skill of doing it off the deck - only a very few players have ever tried it at senior county level.....lots can do it from the hands but off the deck is a much tougher skill

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 27, 2014, 09:15:16 AM
Ahem. I went with Dessie Barry.

Ahem, ahem, I mentioned 3 players of which they were two.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

mb80b60

Quote from: haranguerer on February 27, 2014, 11:33:40 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on February 26, 2014, 05:05:16 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on February 26, 2014, 02:19:12 PM
Based on what I've seen. Had to leave a few out.

Antrim - Kevin Madden
Armagh - Kieran McGeeny
Carlow -
Cavan - Dermot McCabe
Clare -
Cork - Shea Fahey
Derry - Anthony Tohill
Donegal - Michael Murphy
Down - James McCarten
Dublin - Stephen Cluxton
Fermanagh - Rory Gallagher
Galway - Sean og de Poar
Kerry - Maurice Fitzgerald
Kildare - Glen Ryan
Kilkenny - 
Laois - Ross Munnelly
Leitrim -
Limerick - Stephen Kelly
Longford - Paul Barden
Louth -
Mayo - Aiden O'Shea
Meath - Trevor Giles
Monaghan - Tommy Freeman
Offaly - Ciaran McManus
Roscommon - Frankie Dolan
Sligo - Eamon O'Hara
Tipperary - Declan Browne
Tyrone - Sean Cavanagh
Waterford -
Westmeath - Dessie Dolan
Wexford - Mattie Forde
Wicklow - Leighton Glynn

By the age profile of the other players ion your list I am assuming you mean James McCartan Junior?

No Canavan?
Rory Gallagher?

Probably the most gifted. Still holds the record for the highest score in a match in championship football, 3 goals and 9 points is tight going, especially in the Ulster Championship for a minnow like Fermanagh.

Raymie was some player too. Scored a goal against Cavan in the late 90s which is the best goal I've ever seen (and was in the last few minutes while 3 points down, i.e. necessary, with all the pressure that brings), and in a thread discussing such scores, I saw a few cavan posters saying the same.

I never saw much of McGinnity, I'm pretty sure he wasn't going for that goal everyone talks about though. The likes of Paul Brewster and Paddy McGuinness were serious players, and the only thing that prevents them from being spoken with in the same breath as any of these is the relative lack of success during their time. Ryan McCluskey too could be considered, Owens suffered a lot through injury but was a hero, for me for Fermanagh though its Marty McGrath. Had his share of injuries too, but gave Fermanagh a presence they lacked, and was just a real leader.

Here is the clip Harang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFS2Ds6pxTM

Brilliant stuff!

stew

It.One that the greatest natural footballer ever produced, Paddy Moriarty hasn't been mentioned.and two,John Corvan has.Corvan was a player of outstanding ability who unfortunately never displayed it in a County Jersey, and was a major disappointment on the big occasions, ie All Ireland semi final in 82, NFL Final in 83 and the Ulster Final in 84 which was billed as a shoot out between him and Mc Guigan,and we know who won that one.I am struggling to recall even one outstanding game from John in a County Jersey. I wouldn't even have him near. Armagh's best ever team never mind best player.
[/quote]

Tony based on the criteria set forth by the title of the thread Johnny can be in the mix. The only player I ever saw in my life with a footballing brain as good as Johnny was Peter the great!

In the grand scheme of things he is not considered close to being an Armagh great, he simply had too short a career however he had the ability to make your jaw drop with his incredible intelligence and skill. Paddy Mo is a legend
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

seafoid

Quote from: stew on February 27, 2014, 05:35:53 PM
It.One that the greatest natural footballer ever produced, Paddy Moriarty hasn't been mentioned.and two,John Corvan has.Corvan was a player of outstanding ability who unfortunately never displayed it in a County Jersey, and was a major disappointment on the big occasions, ie All Ireland semi final in 82, NFL Final in 83 and the Ulster Final in 84 which was billed as a shoot out between him and Mc Guigan,and we know who won that one.I am struggling to recall even one outstanding game from John in a County Jersey. I wouldn't even have him near. Armagh's best ever team never mind best player.
Stew

What is that DVD of Armagh 03 that you watch regularly ?
Is there anything that gives the background to what the win meant to the county ? 

Tony based on the criteria set forth by the title of the thread Johnny can be in the mix. The only player I ever saw in my life with a footballing brain as good as Johnny was Peter the great!

In the grand scheme of things he is not considered close to being an Armagh great, he simply had too short a career however he had the ability to make your jaw drop with his incredible intelligence and skill. Paddy Mo is a legend
[/quote]

Wildweasel74

Greg McCartan could take it on the ground off either foot, hes the only one out of Maurice Fitz i seen do it

moysider

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 27, 2014, 06:05:20 PM
Greg McCartan could take it on the ground off either foot, hes the only one out of Maurice Fitz i seen do it

Kevin McStay was ambipedalous. Saw him kick frees off ground with both feet in championship in early eighties. Enda Colleran remarked on it on The Sunday Game at the time.