Best footballer ever from your county.

Started by 5 Sams, February 21, 2014, 09:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 22, 2014, 02:02:53 PM
Hell, Matt Connor the best player on this thread
Did they ever make a Laochra Gael programme on Matt Connor?

5 Sams

Yep about 10 years ago. No sign of it though online :( :(
The Aristocrat Years

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on February 21, 2014, 11:02:58 PM
For our Lovley neighbours it's hard to look beyond Emlyn Mulligan. Most skilled player in Connacht with vision only equalled by Gooch. If I could nab any player in the country for my team he'd be very near the top of the list.
Packy McGarty, Cathal Flynn or Mickey Martin would give him a run for his money any day.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RealSpiritof98

Canavan would be in my top 3 all time players, from an armagh man thats saying something. As a youngster i used to watch videos of him playing his movement both on and and off the ball was sublime his vision was as good as any and his finishing was the best.  We hear stories about the Frank Mcguigans and the Johnny Corvans but a definition of a true great in my eyes also includes length at the top and the ability to play with several generations/teams. a class act.

Armagh is a tough one, Mcgrane has a shout.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 22, 2014, 04:45:54 PM
Galway - PJ

PJ in my lifetime certainly. I never saw Sean Purcell play but I know the older generation would say Purcell was the greatest. Full stop.

T Fearon

Surprised by two things.One that the greatest natural footballer ever produced, Paddy Moriarty hasn't been mentioned.and two,John Corvan has.Corvan was a player of outstanding ability who unfortunately never displayed it in a County Jersey, and was a major disappointment on the big occasions, ie All Ireland semi final in 82, NFL Final in 83 and the Ulster Final in 84 which was billed as a shoot out between him and Mc Guigan,and we know who won that one.I am struggling to recall even one outstanding game from John in a County Jersey. I wouldn't even have him near. Armagh's best ever team never mind best player.

Rossfan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 22, 2014, 05:59:41 PM
For our Lovley neighbours it's hard to look beyond Emlyn Mulligan. Most skilled player in Connacht with vision only equalled by Gooch. If I could nab any player in the country for my team he'd be very near the top of the list.
Packy McGarty, Cathal Flynn or Mickey Martin would give him a run for his money any day.
Ah now Lar - poor oul Syfín is only 13. He wouldn't be aware of the existence of them lads.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on February 22, 2014, 07:54:23 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 22, 2014, 05:59:41 PM
Ah now Lar - poor oul Syfín is only 13. He wouldn't be aware of the existence of them lads.
Didn't know ye were twins! ;D

While I'm at it, Gerry O'Malley was the best Rossie I ever saw.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi