An Dún - an triúr is fearr.

Started by 5 Sams, October 29, 2009, 04:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

umpire

Gerry Butterfield of Mayobridge.
I have never seen him playing, but number of older supporters have said that he much better footballer than Sean O'Neill!!!!

passedit

Quote from: umpire on November 02, 2009, 09:05:22 AM
Joe Byrne and John Purdy played a similar type of game, a buzz everytime they get the ball in their hands. both of them only played a few years in Down jerseys.

Two fine players indeed. John played into the mid eighties with Tullylish. Wee Joe had a brain hemorrhage in 1981 when he'd still have been mid to late twenties and was playing great stuff. Never played again obviously and not sure he ever worked again either.
Don't Panic

Cúig huaire

Quote from: passedit on November 03, 2009, 07:13:35 PM
Two fine players indeed. John played into the mid eighties with Tullylish. Wee Joe had a brain hemorrhage in 1981 when he'd still have been mid to late twenties and was playing great stuff. Never played again obviously and not sure he ever worked again either.

So thats what happened to him. One of the Down players went over to him after the 91 final and gave him his jersey, Joe was in a wheelchair. I cant remember which player it was, but I remember hearing about it in the days after the game.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

13aside

Think it might have been Conor Deegan who handed over the jersey to Joe,if i recall correctly  the gesture was filmed by the t.v cameras

Cúig huaire

Quote from: 13aside on November 04, 2009, 09:41:48 AM
Think it might have been Conor Deegan who handed over the jersey to Joe,if i recall correctly  the gesture was filmed by the t.v cameras

Think you are right.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

T O Hare

Quote from: umpire on November 03, 2009, 06:26:18 PM
Gerry Butterfield of Mayobridge.
I have never seen him playing, but number of older supporters have said that he much better footballer than Sean O'Neill!!!!

He captained the first Abbey team to win the McRory cup in 1953... Apparently he would have been a star in the 60's if he had not of emigrated!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

No1

Players I have seen, can't judge any from 5 Sams era  ;)

Colm McAlarney
Barry Breen
James McCartan jnr