Liam Hayes

Started by 5 Sams, September 27, 2009, 07:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornafean

Quote from: ONeill on September 27, 2009, 10:33:47 PM
In how he deports himself and presents himself, at this stage of his football life, he is still not the equal of Mickey Harte.

I couldn't imagine Mickey Harte letting himself down the way O'Connor did at the Tyrone v Kerry NFL game in Omagh last Spring.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

INDIANA

Quote from: cornafean on September 28, 2009, 09:44:30 AM
In how he deports himself and presents himself, at this stage of his football life, he is still not the equal of Mickey Harte.

I couldn't imagine Mickey Harte letting himself down the way O'Connor did at the Tyrone v Kerry NFL game in Omagh last Spring.

Mickey is smart enough to let his players do it for him!Thats the reality - I don't know how people are fooled by Harte's pokerface visage on the sidelines.

tyroneman

irunthev

Quote from: INDIANA on September 28, 2009, 10:23:03 AM

Mickey is smart enough to let his players do it for him!Thats the reality - I don't know how people are fooled by Harte's pokerface visage on the sidelines.

I think it is fair enough to say that there aren't many things that happen during a Tyrone game that haven't been pre-orchestrated, it is all part of the master's plan. It's all smart management, but whether you like it or approve of it is entirely up to your own taste and whether you believe that Harte is above all this would be down to your own level of experience in sport. Sport at that level, be it amateur or professional, is all about winning and you do what you have to to win. I know for a fact that Harte has people he discusses these things with before hand.

blanketattack

Jack O'Connor's involvement in the league game was about the same as Mickey Harte's involvement in the battle of Omagh against Dublin i.e. both pretty miniscule.
In fairness to Mickey Harte he was interviewed before this year's All-Ireland final and said that Kerry were the best team of the last 10 years which I thought was very gracious. He obviously wanted to distance himself from what the Tyrone players were saying after last year's final.

ross matt

So O'Connor shaking his fist to the cameras at the final whistle is ungracious accoring to Liam?

INDIANA

Quote from: ross matt on September 28, 2009, 11:32:27 AM
So O'Connor shaking his fist to the cameras at the final whistle is ungracious accoring to Liam?

Can you not be happy after winning an all-ireland? I mean what are you supposed to do- take a few prozac to ease the gloom.

cornafean

Quote from: INDIANA on September 28, 2009, 10:23:03 AM

That's exactly my point.

ross matt

Quote from: INDIANA on September 28, 2009, 11:47:43 AM
Quote from: ross matt on September 28, 2009, 11:32:27 AM

Can you not be happy after winning an all-ireland? I mean what are you supposed to do- take a few prozac to ease the gloom.

My point exactly Indiana.

thejuice

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 28, 2009, 09:05:25 AM
Gombeen, must be a constant source of shame to Meathmen everywhere.

Only if he became our manager.

He has done great things for Meath as a player and so he can write all the guff he wants in whatever paper he likes as far as I'm concerned. I wont be reading it anyway.

I did hear he was critical of the current Meath squad but sure let him. It's easier to ignore him than read him.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

cornafean

Quote from: blanketattack on September 28, 2009, 11:21:17 AM

Jack O'Connor's involvement in the league game was about the same as Mickey Harte's involvement in the battle of Omagh against Dublin i.e. both pretty miniscule.

The photo here would suggest otherwise - caption "Kerry manager Jack O'Connor gets involved in a clash between Marc Ó Sé and Tyrone's Ryan McMenamin at Healy Park, Omagh, yesterday. - (Photograph: Inpho)"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0216/1233867938958.html

heineken_on_tap

Ridiculous way to end the article by Hayes. Thought o'connor conducted himself very well afterwards considering the way the season had gone and just moments after winning an A.I.

He didn't mention his wrong prediction

whiskeysteve

poor auld liam. dublin will win the AI some year (prob the year he doesnt tip them though)

his predictions always seem like wild gambles. Quite often it is not satisfying enough for him to cautiously tip a narrow win, he seems to feel the need to flamboyantly nail a big victory/outside bet and ignores the obvious factors in favour of his own highly imaginative reasoning.

Conventional wisdom is anathema to him and he will steadfastly swim against the tide of it, like the Nick Leeson of punditry
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

longrunsthefox

In his book, O'Connor comes across as very bitter and begrudging but doesn't really explain why.

Mike Sheehy

Given the disgraceful way the Tyrone players and the Tyrone crowd behaved during and after that game I think Jack was quite restrained. It was disgusting the way the Tyrone crowd were chanting like soccer hooligans and their hatred toward the Kerry team was quite obvious. Tyrone have never received such a hostile when they have visited Killarney or Tralee.