Most memorable miss..

Started by 5 Sams, December 11, 2008, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Two other misses that sticks out in my mind is Corrs attempt at a point in the AIF 95, that fell to Canavan and ultimately Mc Laughlin,  It was the captains point to take and he didnt take it. 
Another one is Seanie Meyler bearing down on goal V Mayo in '89.  He hit her too close to the goalkeeper, a goal at that time may well have put paid to Willie Joe and co. 
Finally I remember in (90) I believe a narrow defeat to Armagh in the athletic grounds in the championship and a 30 yard shot from Raymie Monroe hitting the cross bar and being shepherded accross the line by Mc Kenna?  The referee that day Campbell form Fermanagh inexplicably disallowed the goal and therfore handed our jealous neighbours the most undeserved of victories and this long before we had even heard of Michael Collins in Tyrone.     

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: rrhf on December 13, 2008, 10:45:10 AM
Two other misses that sticks out in my mind is Corrs attempt at a point in the AIF 95, that fell to Canavan and ultimately Mc Laughlin,  It was the captains point to take and he didnt take it. 
Another one is Seanie Meyler bearing down on goal V Mayo in '89.  He hit her too close to the goalkeeper, a goal at that time may well have put paid to Willie Joe and co. 
Finally I remember in (90) I believe a narrow defeat to Armagh in the athletic grounds in the championship and a 30 yard shot from Raymie Monroe hitting the cross bar and being shepherded accross the line by Mc Kenna?  The referee that day Campbell form Fermanagh inexplicably disallowed the goal and therfore handed our jealous neighbours the most undeserved of victories and this long before we had even heard of Michael Collins in Tyrone.     

I remember watching this as a 12 year old from behind the goals. It was some effort by Munroe, thought it went straight to the net myself ;)
but a horrible decision to disallow the goal!

Most memorable miss for me would be, 3 f**king All Irelands and missing all three!!!!!

rrhf

Monroes goal surely, and a majestic goal it was too having burst up the field to try and salvage the game for Tyrone.   I think (Mc Kenna) just shepherded the ball over the line and the ref must have give a square ball. Imagine having probably never scored for the county and then scoring the goal of the season for  to win a championship match only to find the ref has taken a head banger.  Id say Monroe was in some form after that.