Most memorable miss..

Started by 5 Sams, December 11, 2008, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

...following on from similar threads.

Which "sitter", "miss", "howler", etc, etc sticks in your mind...and maybe had a major bearing on the championship in that particular year.

Mine is hard to beat....Jim McConville's V Down in the 1st round of the Ulster Championship in Newry in 1991.......straight through, on an oul wet day, ball on the ground, only the keeper to beat and he screws it wide.....
As we all said coming out of the Marshes that day...."two bad teams".....

The rest is history ;D ;D
The Aristocrat Years

thebandit

Richard Thornton (T****e) v Armagh 2002  ;D

Ray Cosgrove (Dublin) v Armagh 2002  ;D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Peter Canavan's free against Armagh in the 2005 AI Semi-Final in Croke, in the dying seconds... No wait!... He scored that one!  ;D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

TacadoirArdMhacha

The Cosgrove one in 2002 sticks out simply because I didn't think for a second he would miss. Once the free was given I just assumed we were looking at a replay. Brosnan in the final as well was a tight one but probably not a "sitter".

Dessie Dolan's against Meath is probably the best example. Maybe 2002 / 2003? The amazing thing was that he was just after scoring a sideline.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ONeill

Does Kevin McCabe's penalty in '86 count?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on December 11, 2008, 11:39:40 PM
Does Kevin McCabe's penalty in '86 count?

Rationally: no, technically: no, emotionally: YES!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

southderryman

Fergal doherty's miss against tyrone in the first game in 2003, we had them on the rack big time at that stage and another score would of finished it.

derry were rebuilding at the time so in terms of our progression it probably wouldn't have made that much of a difference, but tyrone drew, hammered us in the replay and went on to win that all ireland.

i often think had that gone over i'd still be winding my neighbours up about no sam maguire in tyrone!

in sayin that i wouldn't swap doherty for any other player in ireland (or elsewhere at the minute due to the all stars tour!)

nrico2006

Ger Cavlans miss against Armagh in the AIF 2003 sticks out - SON came gave him the perfect handpass with the keeper the only man to beat and he screwed it wide.  Could have been costly.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Wedger

If Non Ulster matches are allowed mention...
Anthony Finnerty 1989 for Mayo vs Cork.
Dessie Farrell from hitting the corssbar in front of an empty goal vs Kerry 2001.

SidelineKick

Quote from: southderryman on December 12, 2008, 12:07:51 AM
Fergal doherty's miss against tyrone in the first game in 2003, we had them on the rack big time at that stage and another score would of finished it.

derry were rebuilding at the time so in terms of our progression it probably wouldn't have made that much of a difference, but tyrone drew, hammered us in the replay and went on to win that all ireland.

i often think had that gone over i'd still be winding my neighbours up about no sam maguire in tyrone!

in sayin that i wouldn't swap doherty for any other player in ireland (or elsewhere at the minute due to the all stars tour!)

Exactly the one I thought of as soon as I seen this thread! Was only about 21 yards out  :( sad day.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Canalman

The 2 Dessies come to mind.
Dolan's free v Meath and Farrell's howler against Kerry in Thurles.

A multitude of missed Dublin penalties over the years have cost us dearly.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Canalman on December 12, 2008, 09:24:40 AM
The 2 Dessies come to mind.
Dolan's free v Meath and Farrell's howler against Kerry in Thurles.

A multitude of missed Dublin penalties over the years have cost us dearly.

That was ever worse by the fact he scored one from the sideline just before that. (Not sure if it was actually a SidelineKick  ;D)
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

under the bar

Thorton v Armagh in 2002.   Why Canavan gave him the ball in the first place is still beyond me. 

cornafean

Mickey Linden's open goal miss against Meath in the 1991 final. It turned out that it didn't matter a whole lot as Down went on to win, but at the time it happened it was incredible. I'll always remember O'Muircheartaigh's  shock at the miss: "Wide! not under the bar, not over the bar but wide!"

After the game it emerged that Mickey had been concussed by an earlier "tackle" from Meath's Kevin Foley, and it was said that he had no memory of most or all of that second half - an ominous precursor to the Francie Bellew "incident" 13 years later.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

ildanach

Quote from: The Wedger on December 12, 2008, 08:17:07 AM
If Non Ulster matches are allowed mention...
Anthony Finnerty 1989 for Mayo vs Cork.
Dessie Farrell from hitting the corssbar in front of an empty goal vs Kerry 2001.

i blame larry for all the heart ache!! if he has scored that one the monkey would have been off our back and we could have 4 more all irelands!
Another miss of a type is John Madden failling to come for the ball v meath in 96 and the ball bouncing over the bar!!
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.