The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: vallankumous on February 18, 2017, 08:30:51 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 18, 2017, 05:45:51 AM
SNL don't need to work on any sketches this week. They can just rerun the press conference.

Sure, but this is the exact same attitude by most media forms as there was during the Republican Primaries and the Election.
The Irish media are still giving Trump the same credit as prior to the election.
They were all wrong then, yet they are doing the same thing.
Fighting Trump on his ground doesn't work. If everyone treats him like a Paris Hilton type buffoon he'll mop the floor with ye. SNL are only feeding the beast.
A big problem is that most media outlets want the type of coverage Trump provides despite it's counter effect. It's like an addiction, you can't get enough of the thing that's killing you.
Trump should e treated as the PoUSA, a politician in the traditional sense. That's a battle I think he doesn't have the heart for.

I agree that Trump is playing to his audience but how would you expect the media to cover the press conference last Thursday?? As if it was just a run of the mill press conference?

seafoid

Trump is unlikely to get anything done. He is incompetent. He is a pathological liar. He has a short attention span. He creates crises that deflect attention from real issues. He is a hopeless manager. He has too many enemies .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/lp/mainstream-media-accountability-survey

Check out his "mainstream media accountability survey".  :o ;D

I would ask also, as gallsman has, how exactly are the media supposed to cover Trump?

Calling him out on his blatant, transparent lies lead to the above bollocks. But what else do you do? Let him away with it?

J70

Quote from: stew on February 18, 2017, 05:52:54 AM
Quote from: Declan on February 17, 2017, 03:28:05 PM
The Associated Press Verified account

BREAKING: Trump administration considers mobilizing as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants.

Bullshit.

Its not bullshit.

They've acknowledged the document exists. They DID consider use of the NG.

The AP gave them multiple chances to comment, but they decided they preferred to say nothing and then play the "fake news" card, even while acknowledging that the leak was true.

Trump must think the US people are incredibly stupid if he thinks they're all going to fall for this bollocks.

vallankumous

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 18, 2017, 11:06:05 AM

I agree that Trump is playing to his audience but how would you expect the media to cover the press conference last Thursday?? As if it was just a run of the mill press conference?

I didn't see it. Yeah it's almost impossible to act any other way. THat's my point about it being addictive, or car crash, we just can't help ourselves.
I remember when x factor come out all the Radio DJs and musicians would lambast it and the results would then be covered on the news. We couldn't get enough.
Once the X FActor is over and the winners face the real industry they can't handle it. The bluster is over and they're judged as musicians. Then they crash out. I think Trump is similar to this.

There will be a time that Trump is dealing in politics. That's when he'll be found out.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on February 18, 2017, 12:38:01 PM
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/lp/mainstream-media-accountability-survey

Check out his "mainstream media accountability survey".  :o ;D

I would ask also, as gallsman has, how exactly are the media supposed to cover Trump?

Calling him out on his blatant, transparent lies lead to the above bollocks. But what else do you do? Let him away with it?
Trump is too stupid to win the war against the media

stew

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 17, 2017, 05:41:36 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on February 17, 2017, 04:58:50 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 17, 2017, 04:43:18 PM
I await the outrage from the "Obama's going to declare martial law" crowd with great interest.

??

Some conservative nutjobs were going on about Obama "coming to get our guns," "going to impose communism" and "going to declare martial law" during his presidency.

Their kissing cousin nutjobs on the left droning on about Fascism and brownshirts  and slabbering on about Trump being a Nazi, two sides of the same shitty coin.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

Quote from: stew on February 18, 2017, 02:10:16 PM
I await the outrage from the "Obama's going to declare martial law" crowd with great interest.

??

Some conservative nutjobs were going on about Obama "coming to get our guns," "going to impose communism" and "going to declare martial law" during his presidency.

Their kissing cousin nutjobs on the left droning on about Fascism and brownshirts  and slabbering on about Trump being a Nazi, two sides of the same shitty coin.

The key difference being that there is some commonality between Trump's rhetoric and those of the early Nazi years.

The stuff on Obama was utterly baseless.

stew

Quote from: J70 on February 18, 2017, 02:17:03 PM

??

The key difference being that there is some commonality between Trump's rhetoric and those of the early Nazi years.

Are you saying Trump has Nazi tendencies?

Here is whats going to happen, the GOP are going to lie in wait to get a few of the policies they really want implemented, once attained they will turn on Trump and I seriously doubt he will last the four years, if he does he will be a lame duck President for three quarters of his term because Paul Ryan and his ilk are not going to back this man, they just are not going to allow him to destroy the republican party.

seafoid

J70

Quote from: stew on February 18, 2017, 02:39:26 PM

??

Here is whats going to happen, the GOP are going to lie in wait to get a few of the policies they really want implemented, once attained they will turn on Trump and I seriously doubt he will last the four years, if he does he will be a lame duck President for three quarters of his term because Paul Ryan and his ilk are not going to back this man, they just are not going to allow him to destroy the republican party.

No idea if he personally does. I think he probably doesn't give a shit about anything except his own aggrandizement and ego and has seized upon the far right and exploited the concerns of the white working class as the vehicle to facilitate his ascent to the presidency. Another trophy for his cabinet, like all his wives and properties and incessant attention seeking.

But he and his campaign and administration have doubled down on demonizing the press, muslims, immigrants, etc., expanding the military, and massaging the persecution complex and resentment of their base. "Making America great again", whatever that means.

J70

New C-Span presidential survey:

Rankings
https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurvey2017/?page=overall

Press Release
https://static.c-span.org/assets/documents/presidentSurvey/C-SPAN%20Historians%20Survey%20of%20President%20Leadership%20Feb%2017%202017%20press%20release%20PDF.pdf

Obama enters the rankings at #12.

1.  Abraham Lincoln   
2.  George Washington   
3.  Franklin D. Roosevelt   
4.  Theodore Roosevelt   
5.  Dwight D. Eisenhower   
6.  Harry S. Truman   
7.  Thomas Jefferson   
8.  John F. Kennedy   
9.  Ronald Reagan   
10. Lyndon Baines Johnson   
11. Woodrow Wilson   
12. Barack Obama
13. James Monroe   
14. James K. Polk   
15. Bill Clinton   
16. William McKinley Jr.   
17. James Madison   
18. Andrew Jackson
19. John Adams   
20. George H. W. Bush   
21. John Quincy Adams   
22. Ulysses S. Grant   
23. Grover Cleveland   
24. William H. Taft   
25. Gerald R. Ford Jr.   
26. Jimmy Carter   
27. Calvin Coolidge   
28. Richard M. Nixon   
29. James A. Garfield   
30. Benjamin Harrison   
31. Zachary Taylor   
32. Rutherford B. Hayes   
33. George W. Bush   
34. Martin Van Buren   
35. Chester Arthur   
36. Herbert Hoover   
37. Millard Fillmore   
38. William Henry Harrison   
39. John Tyler   
40. Warren G. Harding   
41. Franklin Pierce   
42. Andrew Johnson   
43. James Buchanan   

J70

??

It would be nice if they did that, but Trump has already laid waste to the mainstream GOP in the primaries.

However, scandals may do him in, although again, he had his fair share of those in the campaign. Although he did have Hillary to use to distract everyone back then. Looks like the press is taking her place in terms of a "look over there" foil.

macdanger2

Quote from: vallankumous on February 18, 2017, 01:58:03 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 18, 2017, 11:06:05 AM

I didn't see it. Yeah it's almost impossible to act any other way. THat's my point about it being addictive, or car crash, we just can't help ourselves.
I remember when x factor come out all the Radio DJs and musicians would lambast it and the results would then be covered on the news. We couldn't get enough.
Once the X FActor is over and the winners face the real industry they can't handle it. The bluster is over and they're judged as musicians. Then they crash out. I think Trump is similar to this.

There will be a time that Trump is dealing in politics. That's when he'll be found out.

I wonder would some of them have the balls to stop attending the press conferences? Although then you're potentially disrespecting the office of president so it's a no-win

stew

Quote from: J70 on February 18, 2017, 02:51:16 PM

??

No idea if he personally does. I think he probably doesn't give a shit about anything except his own aggrandizement and ego and has seized upon the far right and exploited the concerns of the white working class as the vehicle to facilitate his ascent to the presidency. Another trophy for his cabinet, like all his wives and properties and incessant attention seeking.

But he and his campaign and administration have doubled down on demonizing the press, muslims, immigrants, etc., expanding the military, and massaging the persecution complex and resentment of their base. "Making America great again", whatever that means.

It took far more than the working class whites and far right to get him elected, you lot need to accept the fact he won over his fair share of democrats who just could not vote for killory, he won over enough black and Hispanic voters and he did really well with the undecideds.