Tommy Walsh Retires

Started by gallsman, November 20, 2014, 10:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Firstly, I believe smaller players get more leniency from referees and also get more credit for doing the things that bigger players do.
So when Tommy Walsh caught a ball against a player who he was conceding 6 inches to in height and another 3 inches to in arm reach, it always gave an extra wow factor. Had he been 6 foot 2, people wouldn't have been moved about it as much.
That said he was a really tenacious player and a great reader of the game. At his peak he could hurl his man up a stick and the Kilkenny crowd really fed off everything he did.

He was a different player to Brian Whelahan. Whelahan operated as more of a sweeper across 3 or 4 different positions, whereas Walsh had a more set role. Walsh was a better marker, tackler and catcher, but Whelahan was much more of orchestrator and a play maker.

Ash Smoker

I couldn't believe that he is only 31. He seems to have been on the scene forever.

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on November 20, 2014, 12:37:45 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 20, 2014, 11:38:31 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on November 20, 2014, 11:18:08 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 20, 2014, 11:14:52 AM
What can you say about him that hasn't been said before.

When KK were winning handy, Tommy Walsh was leading.
When KK needed someone to dig them out or take the game by the scruff, Tommy was the leader.

His ability to catch standing behind a forward half a foot taller than him and come out with it was the quality that most of us will remember him for. Fearless.He broke a lot of hurls and a lot of hearts and won a lot of admirers along the way to a glittering career. I'd loved to have seen him take even a small part in KK's win this year but Cody doesn't do sentiment.

yeah he was the same size as me lad, but by God he could catch a sliothar. This and his never say die attitude and sublime utility made him the outstanding player of his time. End of an era hi. What age was he 30/31?
Le cúnamh Dé

Very efficient with the dirt, like all the cats. They play the defence game so well of course but every little helps.

A cute hoor no doubt but I wouldn't call him dirty. Never pulled a stroke (the one in the league against Galway was probably his worst) on the scale of Dunne or Donnellan.

Pretty sure any player that whacks a ref in the face with a hurl would be called dirty

johnneycool

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 20, 2014, 03:46:33 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 20, 2014, 12:37:45 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 20, 2014, 11:38:31 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on November 20, 2014, 11:18:08 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 20, 2014, 11:14:52 AM
What can you say about him that hasn't been said before.

When KK were winning handy, Tommy Walsh was leading.
When KK needed someone to dig them out or take the game by the scruff, Tommy was the leader.

His ability to catch standing behind a forward half a foot taller than him and come out with it was the quality that most of us will remember him for. Fearless.He broke a lot of hurls and a lot of hearts and won a lot of admirers along the way to a glittering career. I'd loved to have seen him take even a small part in KK's win this year but Cody doesn't do sentiment.

yeah he was the same size as me lad, but by God he could catch a sliothar. This and his never say die attitude and sublime utility made him the outstanding player of his time. End of an era hi. What age was he 30/31?
Le cúnamh Dé

Very efficient with the dirt, like all the cats. They play the defence game so well of course but every little helps.

A cute hoor no doubt but I wouldn't call him dirty. Never pulled a stroke (the one in the league against Galway was probably his worst) on the scale of Dunne or Donnellan.

Pretty sure any player that whacks a ref in the face with a hurl would be called dirty

When did he do that?

Was that Brian Gavin or something?

See the Rocks Tweet;

so Tommy Timber has called it a day...a cheeky little bastard but could he hurl ! big loss to the game #TW5

manfromdelmonte

Tommy was so good he could be played anywhere on the field.

When I go to hurling coaching course he is always picked out as having exceptional technique for most hurling skills
Great role model for young players too - you don't need to be over 6ft to play inter county hurling

macdanger2

Class player, good luck to him

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 20, 2014, 02:26:03 PM
Firstly, I believe smaller players get more leniency from referees and also get more credit for doing the things that bigger players do.
So when Tommy Walsh caught a ball against a player who he was conceding 6 inches to in height and another 3 inches to in arm reach, it always gave an extra wow factor. Had he been 6 foot 2, people wouldn't have been moved about it as much.
That said he was a really tenacious player and a great reader of the game. At his peak he could hurl his man up a stick and the Kilkenny crowd really fed off everything he did.

He was a different player to Brian Whelahan. Whelahan operated as more of a sweeper across 3 or 4 different positions, whereas Walsh had a more set role. Walsh was a better marker, tackler and catcher, but Whelahan was much more of orchestrator and a play maker.

Would that not be because it's more difficult for a smaller player to catch a ball against a bigger player than vice versa??

waterfordlad

Yeah it was Brian Gavin who got a belt in the face from Tommy's hurley in the middle of a 'melee' in an All Ireland final v Tipperary. No action was taken on it. He was a bit careless with the hurley at times but some player.

Croí na hÉireann

Jackie Tyrrell got away with a booking due to Tommy's swinging hurl. Gavin was going to book him before he got hooked and felt he couldn't after he got stitched up as it would look like he was booking him for the incident. Clever fella was Tommy.

He'll be sorely missed by the fans in KK. His struggle for game time this year was likened to a death in the family by the father in law.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Wildweasel74

Great hurler , who could play a number of positions, though i have JJ Delaney ahead of him in terms of a great defender

theticklemister

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 20, 2014, 06:15:48 PM
Great hurler , who could play a number of positions, though i have JJ Delaney ahead of him in terms of a great defender

Both equal, but Tommy is better!

Mind watching a live Kilkenny game about 12/13 years and whoever was commentating was talking about this young player named Tommy Walsh and how good he was.  He didn't really standout then, but by God he has been a standout for me every game since. As I said before, best hurler I have ever seen play. He always came out with the ball and won nearly every dual he encountered. Just a pleasure to watch hi, just a feckin pleasure....... Cheerio mo chara. Thanks for the memories.

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 20, 2014, 02:26:03 PM

Walsh was one of the best players on an ultra efficient team so he'd be like Schweini say. Whelehan was more like Ruud Gullit.

theticklemister

seafoid

Quote from: theticklemister on November 20, 2014, 09:39:00 PM
who the hell is Schweini?
Bastian Schweinsteiger, the German midfielder.

theticklemister

Tommy is fecking Tommy Walsh and that's it

pullhard

Tommy is best player I have ever seen. Could play anywhere on the best team in the land (corner back, wing back, mid field, wing forward (winning all stars in each) full forward). Hard as nails, a very cute clever player.

His stick work and hand to eye coordination are unbelievable, glad he finished on a high for his county.