TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: clarshack on December 21, 2012, 12:38:04 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on December 21, 2012, 10:45:14 AM
Season 3 of Boardwalk done and dusted, what an ending.  Arguably the best show on TV at the minute.

yeah, boardwalk is best show around atm. imo it's better than the sopranos.

also thought the walking dead was good this season and ended well for the mid season finale.

Boardwalk for me is better than Sopranos.  Its still in its infancy so don't know where it will rank overall.  24 was the best I have watched, with Lost up there too.  Watched Walking Dead and so far it has been very good.  Also watched a pile of shows over the past few years that were decent, some have been kept on some were cancelled.  Watched Journeyman, Flashforward, The Event, Touch, Alcatraz and Falling Skies as well as Sopranos, 24 Lost and Boardwalk Empire.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hardy

Quote from: ziggy90 on December 21, 2012, 11:58:36 AM
Quote from: Hardy on December 21, 2012, 11:50:29 AM
Quote from: Minder on December 21, 2012, 10:52:05 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on December 21, 2012, 10:48:50 AM
Has anyone watched Breaking Bad? Want to get a box set for Christmas and just wondering what to get. That, Sons of Anarchary or Prison Break are on the list at the minute as I havent seen any of them but heard decent reviews.

Breaking Bad is as good a show as you will see.

It's the best TV series ever for me.

Really? Better than the Sopranos? If it comes that highly recommended I'll have to give it a gawk. How many series are there and is it finished?

Definitely. The Sopranos had been my No. 1. I haven't seen 24. I saw most of the first season of The Wire and, while I appreciate the reasons for the great reviews, it just didn't quite hit those highs for me. I've seen the first three episodes of Boardwalk Empire and, though I'll stick with it and am assured it improves, I see nothing so far to put it in the same league as the Sopranos or Breaking Bad. In both cases, one thing missing for me (so far) is characters you can identify and empathise with. Both the Sopranos and Breaking bad are brilliant on that score - they make you care about what happens to some awful low-lifes.

The thing that makes Breaking Bad so good, for me, is the imaginative storyline. The situations they set up are just the most inventive and tension-filled I've seen. The old "edge-of-the-seat" cliché applies big time. A number of episodes had me sitting up straight when they finished and just going "wow!" out loud. The only aspect in which it doesn't measure up to the Sopranos is humour. There is one solid gold comic character - Saul Goodman, brilliantly played by Bob Odenkirk - and he on his own is one of the best characters in any series, but overall there is much less humour in BB than in most good series.

There are five seasons. S5, billed as the final one, is halfway through, the final eight episodes coming out next summer.

ziggy90

Great synopsis Hardy, I'd agree with everything you said about the Sopranos but I also think the Wire is just as good albeit in it's own way.

Thanks for the shout about Breaking Bad, I'll definitely give it a view.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Canalman

Would also strongly recommend Breaking Bad and I have only seen the first two seasons.

Truth be told as I have posted here before The Killing is way too long and not as good as touted. Could have dropped 8 episodes easily without any major troubles imvho.

trileacman

Wouldn't be as avid a tv man as most on here but I always the first season of prison break up there with anything I've seen. It went to complete shit an episode into the 2nd series but for those first season episodes it was fantastic.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Syferus

I don't know how much humour you can have with a main character who has cancer and is likely to die, has decided to cook meth to provide for his family and then finds that act has destroyed his family.

Jesse has always been a quasi-comic character anyways and it's the quietness of  the show that's always struck me. It never feels the need to fill the spaces in-between with words and relies on the actors to convey the emotions, something that is far rarer than it sounds.

I think Saul is excellent too but if anything he's probably too much of a characture.

thewobbler

I think I've said it on before, but series 4 of Breaking Bad is the greatest thing on TV ever. If series 5 holds together it might topple The Wire as my favourite show of all.

The ironic thing about BB is I truly despise most of the main characters. Walt and Skylar are horrible, Hank and Marie are irritating. Jesse is mostly a p***k. But the supporting cast, from Jesse's two mates to Saul, Gus and Mike, to the weird Mexican twins, to Gomez, to the lunatic dealers from S1, are utterly brilliant.

AFS

Sort of similar finales to the recent series of The Killing and Homeland. Wasn't dying about either really. The ending in the The Killing didn't really sit very well with the rest of the show, in my mind anyway. While the ending in Homeland was typically ridiculous. A pity it's The Killing and not Homeland that's calling it quits. Must get onto Breaking Bad next.

Milltown Row2

There are some lads here that watch a lot of TV, I'd say during the week I'd watch one or two shows regularly, A film if there is a decent one on and the X factor shows as the wife loves them, though starting to wane now. TV is mainly watched by the kids till about 9 then I'd get an hour or so then bed.

How many hours a week would most spend watching TV?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2012, 02:18:07 PM
There are some lads here that watch a lot of TV, I'd say during the week I'd watch one or two shows regularly, A film if there is a decent one on and the X factor shows as the wife loves them, though starting to wane now. TV is mainly watched by the kids till about 9 then I'd get an hour or so then bed.

How many hours a week would most spend watching TV?
A couple of hours a day during the week - generally 9.30pm til 11.30pm. More at the weekend.

fitzroyalty

Does anyone else think peep show is brilliant?

ballinaman

Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 22, 2012, 03:02:55 PM
Does anyone else think peep show is brilliant?
Yep, the wedding episode is genius.

quit yo jibbajabba

alrite dudes, breaking bad, youve sold it to me! one question, is it appropriate as an xmas pressie for the missus, or would that be stretching it?

quit yo jibbajabba

hmon toerags i gotta go chrimbo shoppin :-)

Main Street

In a word, No.

Unless you are one of these guys who buys gifts for others but really want it for yourself.