TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Orange

Billys Boots

I understand the first series of Borgen finishes tonight on BBC3 - to be followed next week by Bron (The Bridge) which is about a joint investigation by Danish and Swedish police in relation to a murder on 'the bridge' which spans between Denmark (Copenhagen) and Malmo.  I think it's the best thing I've seen in quite a while - no spoilers, but if you liked The Killing, Wallander and Borgen I'd imagine you'll enjoy it.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 04, 2012, 12:18:53 PM
I understand the first series of Borgen finishes tonight on BBC3 - to be followed next week by Bron (The Bridge) which is about a joint investigation by Danish and Swedish police in relation to a murder on 'the bridge' which spans between Denmark (Copenhagen) and Malmo.  I think it's the best thing I've seen in quite a while - no spoilers, but if you liked The Killing, Wallander and Borgen I'd imagine you'll enjoy it.
Was reviewed in The Sunday Times last week and they rated it higher than the The Killing.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 04, 2012, 02:07:45 PM
Was reviewed in The Sunday Times last week and they rated it higher than the The Killing.

I'd be inclined to agree - it definitely has more laughs (well smirks rather than laughs).  There's a lot of focus on the cultural differences between the Swedes and the Danes. 

ziggy90

What channel & night is this on Billy? I've just checked the Sky TV Guide & it's saying that a new series of Inspector Montalbano starts Saturday night. I've only seen a couple of episodes of this before but what I have seen I enjoyed. I think it's set in Sicily.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Billys Boots

Quote from: ziggy90 on February 05, 2012, 03:44:59 PM

What channel & night is this on Billy? I've just checked the Sky TV Guide & it's saying that a new series of Inspector Montalbano starts Saturday night. I've only seen a couple of episodes of this before but what I have seen I enjoyed. I think it's set in Sicily.

Sorry, I was only reporting hearsay about 'Bron' - maybe they're saving it for a while, I know that BBC got the broadcasting rights for it.  Anyway Montalbano's brilliant, you'll enjoy it immensely - very different to the Scandinavian stuff, but extremely political in its own way. 

ziggy90

I didn't realise there were previous series of Montalbano, I thought the episodes I'd seen were one-offs. How many series have been made & are they available for download? Like you said above I really enjoyed the episodes I've viewed & I would like to see the rest of them.

Billys Boots

ziggy90

Milltown Row2

The Billy Plays were on last night on BB2.

I sort of didn't want to watch it, I thought it would be worse than i remembered and not current. But I was wrong, so well acted sad, harrowing and  funny, to most people who were brought up in areas like that it was very easy to relate to.

My wife hadn't see it before and was sort of not really interested in watching it but but hooked early on and really enjoyed it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2012, 02:49:57 PM
The Billy Plays were on last night on BB2.

I sort of didn't want to watch it, I thought it would be worse than i remembered and not current. But I was wrong, so well acted sad, harrowing and  funny, to most people who were brought up in areas like that it was very easy to relate to.

My wife hadn't see it before and was sort of not really interested in watching it but but hooked early on and really enjoyed it.
Brilliantly acted, the documentary beforehand was very good too.  Jimmy Ellis must be a fair age now, his mind seems as active as ever though.

Celt_Man

Finished watching season 1 of Game of Thrones.... holy shite what a top top show...  Absolutely loved it - great ending to it.  And the story has serious potential to open out on several fronts
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mc_grens

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 07, 2012, 10:04:24 PM
Finished watching season 1 of Game of Thrones.... holy shite what a top top show...  Absolutely loved it - great ending to it.  And the story has serious potential to open out on several fronts

You've no idea... I'm halfway through book 3... Highly recommended.

Celt_Man

Quote from: mc_grens on February 08, 2012, 12:25:24 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 07, 2012, 10:04:24 PM

You've no idea... I'm halfway through book 3... Highly recommended.

I made a decision to let the books lie and just watch the shows.... I can imagine the books being serious
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Canalman

Finishing  the last few episodes of The Killing tonight. Very good series, but serious going...20 episodes all around the 55 minute mark each. Flagged a bit in the middle ( don't they all) but well worth a watch. Awful woolie jumpers galore.

Treme next in line to watch.