A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on September 12, 2017, 08:01:29 PM
Im saying that if simple economic benefits made people abandon their identity,Northern nationalists would have accepted partition.I was born pre troubles.If I'd been born down south my parents would have been forced to emigrate to find work.I'm also glad that I didnt have to swallow the South's austerity measures this last ten years.

If your parents had been forced to emigrate then you might now have the British identity you prefer, except you would now be looking for an Irish passport after Brexit. As for the South's austerity measures, lots of people had pay cuts and still earned more than they would in the 6 counties.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Im saying that if simple economic benefits made people abandon their identity,Northern nationalists would have accepted partition.I was born pre troubles.If I'd been born down south my parents would have been forced to emigrate to find work.I'm also glad that I didnt have to swallow the South's austerity measures this last ten years.
Wait until Brexit gets going Tony. Brexit will.really hurt
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Why did clan ui Fhearain stop speaking the Gaeilge Tony? Nothing to do with economics?

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on September 12, 2017, 08:31:38 PM
Wait until Brexit gets going Tony. Brexit will.really hurt

North or South, Brexit will f**k up the two places. As it will in Britain. The EU will made sure of it. So really it's like Stockholm Syndrome, people will realise it's better economically if they are in the unelected Nazi/Bankers group, even when they know they are a bunch of unelected psychotic gangsters.

T Fearon

That's the thing.Neither part of Ireland is really independent,and reunification won't make it independent either.I do not believe Brexit will take place by the way,or if it does it will be watered down so much that no one will notice any difference.

heganboy

What are you talking about?

Seriously what does that mean? "Neither part of Ireland is independent and reunification won't make it independent either". Was Ireland conquered this evening and it hasn't made the news? Did Leo gift Ireland to Trudeau as a new Canadian Province? the Rockall liberation front stormed the Dail? Maybe 31 years later the sleeper cell from the Clontibret occupation was reactivated and achieved their goals before anyone even realized?

These Trumpian statements rooted in your own blissful ignorance should embarrass even your brass neck every once in a while.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

T Fearon

Ireland North depends on a large British financial subvention,similarly the South from the EU.Therefore neither part of Ireland is free to legislate of its own volition.

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on September 12, 2017, 08:32:50 PM
Why did clan ui Fhearain stop speaking the Gaeilge Tony? Nothing to do with economics?
Was it not so that they could fill out the benefit forms in English?

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on September 13, 2017, 05:55:37 AM
Ireland North depends on a large British financial subvention,similarly the South from the EU.Therefore neither part of Ireland is free to legislate of its own volition.
How much does the EU give the 26 Counties?
How much do we pay to the EU?
Last I heard we were a net contributor.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on September 13, 2017, 10:48:10 AM

Don't be bringing facts into the debate!!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on September 13, 2017, 11:11:25 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 13, 2017, 10:48:10 AM

Don't be bringing facts into the debate!!

;D :D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

The problem with NI is that it was always intended as a transitional arrangement when partition was enforced. I love it when Unionists talk about ignoring the majority which of course is exactly what they did in 1920, by violent means. That said any vote for a UI will only be the beginning and it will take years to sort out.I read some where, it may have been Alex Kane that the big problem for Unionism is that unity is an irreversible process, where as for Nationalists the Union is a staging post to Unity, this affects the mindset hence we get the illogical reaction to all things Irish.

seafoid

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 13, 2017, 11:23:15 AM
The problem with NI is that it was always intended as a transitional arrangement when partition was enforced. I love it when Unionists talk about ignoring the majority which of course is exactly what they did in 1920, by violent means. That said any vote for a UI will only be the beginning and it will take years to sort out.I read some where, it may have been Alex Kane that the big problem for Unionism is that unity is an irreversible process, where as for Nationalists the Union is a staging post to Unity, this affects the mindset hence we get the illogical reaction to all things Irish.
NI is like a maths equation with no solution.

seafoid

The plantation was always a stupid idea. It will never be rational.

Eamonnca1

False. The free state has been a net contributor for quite some time. The structural funds in the 90s never accounted for more than 5% of GDP, so they weren't the main driving force behind all that growth as unionists like to crow about.