Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: square_ball on February 03, 2020, 02:41:05 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 03, 2020, 02:01:29 PM
Quote from: square_ball on February 03, 2020, 01:48:24 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 03, 2020, 12:51:22 PM
Mc gleenan still an option in that regard I believe.

Come on STG just admit you were totally wrong in this one. MOR is a viable candidate. They couldn't wait to get rid of McGleenon in Cavan!
yeah and Cavan have went backwards since he left. Mc gleenans Cavan ran tyrone to 3 points in qualifiers 2 years ago. Last year we beat Mickey Graham's Cavan by a cricket score. I'm not saying Mc gleenan is the answer, but worth considering, even as part of a management team.

Cavan went backwards after getting to the Ulster Final the year after he left? You're 100% right he isn't the answer. It's like replacing Fergie with Moyes.
sure Fermanagh and down got to Ulster finals recently, both shite and all got hammered anyway.

outsideoftheboot

Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2020, 02:42:06 PM
Quote from: The Sweeper.com on February 03, 2020, 02:38:09 PM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on February 03, 2020, 10:36:00 AM
Quote from: The Sweeper.com on February 03, 2020, 10:31:09 AM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on February 03, 2020, 09:56:38 AM
Quote from: The Sweeper.com on February 03, 2020, 09:46:08 AM
Quote from: bigtogs on February 02, 2020, 09:51:12 PM
What do you all think of Mulgrew??

Not at the required standard unfortunately.

Decent Club footballer. But not up to County level.

Ben Mc Donnell the same.

But they always seem to feature for some reason. Strange ;) ;) ;)

Mulgrew falls into the growing category of someone who's been knocking around the Tyrone panel for 3 or 4 years now and doesn't seem to have improved any. Obviously injury hasn't helped in his case but what is he supposed to be? He's been tried out in the full forward line in a few games without ever giving the impression he can win his own ball and beat his man. And he doesn't seem to have the legs to be a wing forward working up and down.

On Ben, this is now his third year on the panel and I actually think he's an example of someone who has improved. He's carved out a niche for himself within the panel as a spoiler around the middle third, and he tends to keep it simple giving the impression he knows his limitations. He's never going to be a superstar but he's a solid squad player.

Where is Brian Kennedy at the minute? I was hoping this would be a big year for him where he would establish himself as our first choice midfielder ahead of Colm Cavanagh. Last year was his break out year at the age of 21 and he got plenty of game time and showed promise. We should be looking for him to kick on this season

I think there are better players in the county than Ben Mc Donnell and David Mulgrew who are not on the panel.

Yet they are consistently featuring in games for our county team.

Like who?

Lee Brennan
Connor Mc Aliskey
Johnny Munroe
Daire Gallagher
Ronan Nugent
Conor O Donnell

Some may have been there before and left of their own accord. But one maybe has to ask the question why.

Brennan didn't cut it and dropped himself off the panel.
McAliskey and Munroe opted out, was Munroe not in Australia recently too?
O'Donnell must be well in his 30s and is no better than either of those, ditto Nugent and Gallagher.

Have to agree. Whilst mcaliskey, brennan and munroe are good enough they all opted out of the panel themselves. With regards to odonnell, nugent and gallagher none are good enough. Personally think the 2 players in question arent even in the bottom 5/10 of the panel. They may not be starters but they are good team players who are holding their own when we have a lot of our key men injured. Mulgrew was very good underage and had made a great start to his senior career before injuries having scored 2 goals in croke park against armagh a few years back.

The Sweeper.com

Quote from: outsideoftheboot on February 03, 2020, 03:08:23 PM

Ben Mc Donnell the same.

Mulgrew falls into the growing category of someone who's been knocking around the Tyrone panel for 3 or 4 years now and doesn't seem to have improved any. Obviously injury hasn't helped in his case but what is he supposed to be? He's been tried out in the full forward line in a few games without ever giving the impression he can win his own ball and beat his man. And he doesn't seem to have the legs to be a wing forward working up and down.

On Ben, this is now his third year on the panel and I actually think he's an example of someone who has improved. He's carved out a niche for himself within the panel as a spoiler around the middle third, and he tends to keep it simple giving the impression he knows his limitations. He's never going to be a superstar but he's a solid squad player.

Where is Brian Kennedy at the minute? I was hoping this would be a big year for him where he would establish himself as our first choice midfielder ahead of Colm Cavanagh. Last year was his break out year at the age of 21 and he got plenty of game time and showed promise. We should be looking for him to kick on this season

I think there are better players in the county than Ben Mc Donnell and David Mulgrew who are not on the panel.

Like who?

Lee Brennan
Connor Mc Aliskey
Johnny Munroe
Daire Gallagher
Ronan Nugent
Conor O Donnell

Some may have been there before and left of their own accord. But one maybe has to ask the question why.

O'Donnell must be well in his 30s and is no better than either of those, ditto Nugent and Gallagher.

Have to agree. Whilst mcaliskey, brennan and munroe are good enough they all opted out of the panel themselves. With regards to odonnell, nugent and gallagher none are good enough. Personally think the 2 players in question arent even in the bottom 5/10 of the panel. They may not be starters but they are good team players who are holding their own when we have a lot of our key men injured. Mulgrew was very good underage and had made a great start to his senior career before injuries having scored 2 goals in croke park against armagh a few years back.

So because someone was a good underage player and scored 2 goals in a landslide victory almost 3 years ago they are worthy of a place on our county senior panel??

Id like someone to point out to me how they are holding their own as county senior players?

Angelo

Quote from: The Sweeper.com on February 03, 2020, 03:20:54 PM

Ben Mc Donnell the same.

Like who?

Lee Brennan
Connor Mc Aliskey
Johnny Munroe
Daire Gallagher
Ronan Nugent
Conor O Donnell

So because someone was a good underage player and scored 2 goals in a landslide victory almost 3 years ago they are worthy of a place on our county senior panel??

Id like someone to point out to me how they are holding their own as county senior players?

And what basis have you for saying the guys you suggested would do any better? Mulgrew is a talented footballer who has spent the best part of the past two years on the treatment table. McDonnell has done ok in the opportunities presented - both are 23 I think, plenty of time for them to develop and bed themselves in.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

The Sweeper.com

Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2020, 03:46:13 PM

Ben Mc Donnell the same.

Like who?

Lee Brennan
Connor Mc Aliskey
Johnny Munroe
Daire Gallagher
Ronan Nugent
Conor O Donnell

And what basis have you for saying the guys you suggested would do any better? Mulgrew is a talented footballer who has spent the best part of the past two years on the treatment table. McDonnell has done ok in the opportunities presented - both are 23 I think, plenty of time for them to develop and bed themselves in.

Having watched them play for both Club & County I think if they had been afforded the opportunities both Mc Donnell and Mulgrew have they would be better additions to our squad at present.

I wouldnt say Lee Brennan didnt cut it! He was very good in Ballybofey few years back when introduced as a sub v Donegal - when it really mattered.

Angelo

Quote from: The Sweeper.com on February 03, 2020, 03:56:11 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 03, 2020, 03:46:13 PM

Ben Mc Donnell the same.

Like who?

Lee Brennan
Connor Mc Aliskey
Johnny Munroe
Daire Gallagher
Ronan Nugent
Conor O Donnell

Having watched them play for both Club & County I think if they had been afforded the opportunities both Mc Donnell and Mulgrew have they would be better additions to our squad at present.

I wouldnt say Lee Brennan didnt cut it! He was very good in Ballybofey few years back when introduced as a sub v Donegal - when it really mattered.

What opportunities have Mulgrew and McDonnell been afforded? You'd swear they had been mainstays in the starting XV for the past 5 seasons.

This is McDonnell's third season in charge, he barely featured in his first season, was in and out of the team last year where he did quite well on occasion - particularly in the league win against Dublin and has started both league games on the bench this year.

Mulgrew has barely featured in the past two seasons due to injuries.

inroundthesquare

The game was awful yesterday - reminded me a lot of the Mayo game last year near the start of the league. Things just didn't go right for us even McNamee getting the head injury etc. the wind really picked up 2nd half I know that's an excuse but it was just one of those days. Gough hadn't the best day either. I think we lost all 4/4 of hop balls which tells it all. The fact Mulgrew was the only forward sub on our bench yesterday is worrying but as mentioned a lot of players to come back in at some stage- just leaves us in danger of relegation.
I wouldn't be overly panicking just yet as we have been here before. Remember Kerry Mayo Roscommon last year. Difference was then we turned it around by developing a new game plan whereas the same dramatic change looks unlikely at the moment.

Angelo

Reflecting on matters there and I think it's fair to see we have really failed to add any sort of significant quality to the squad in the past 3/4 years. We got a decent batch out of the 2015 All Ireland u21 squad but since that it's been fairly slim pickings when they joined the squad in 2015 and 2016. There's no real discernible star player since then.

You look at the team played Kerry in last year's semi final, you could only really label Kennedy and McKernan as new additions to the squad, the rest have pretty much been there 4 or 5 years plus.

I think it reflects a bit of a lull in the county in that time. We haven't won an Ulster minor title since 2012, we have only contested two Ulster minor finals since then (2013 and 2019). We won an All Ireland u21 in 2015 and have yielded about 7/8 starting players off of that when you consider Hampsey, Cassidy, McGeary, Brennan, McLaughlin, McShane, Burns, Meyler and Bradley all started that final.

I think we seem to be getting our act back together at underage again, we won the Ulster u20 last year and a red card cost us in the semi final against the eventual champions. The minors made an Ulster final too and both teams had some very good forward talent which we are lacking now.

If you add in Conor McKenna and Cathal McShane to the current Tyrone side, it would make them genuine All Ireland contenders for me but we simply don't have two attacking players of their level in the county at present, so it's a massive shame that we have been robbed of their talents. That's no slight on those boys though as it's a wonderful opportunity that presented itself to them and hard to begrudge them following that.

GaaFanatic123

McShane back out training tonight,wonder will Harte throw him straight back in against Kerry!!

southtyronegael

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on February 04, 2020, 12:23:57 PM
McShane back out training tonight,wonder will Harte throw him straight back in against Kerry!!
heard that earlier! Anything official yet?

GetOverTheBar

Did Harte not basically confirm he was away to journos after game Sunday?

clarshack

so is he staying for good?

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: clarshack on February 04, 2020, 01:10:51 PM

Heard today that Harte met with him last week alongside 2 Club Tyrone sponsors, apparently got a big job offered to him in Keystone, a site to build on and some cash!!
I still think he'd be mad to accept it and miss out on an opportunity of a lifetime but we'll know soon enuf

redhandefender

If only this was true!

bigtogs

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on February 04, 2020, 02:55:19 PM
Quote from: clarshack on February 04, 2020, 01:10:51 PM

Heard today that Harte met with him last week alongside 2 Club Tyrone sponsors, apparently got a big job offered to him in Keystone, a site to build on and some cash!!
I still think he'd be mad to accept it and miss out on an opportunity of a lifetime but we'll know soon enuf

History repeating its self...lol...not the first to be offered all that!!!