Home Heating

Started by nrico2006, December 03, 2010, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyCake on December 27, 2020, 11:46:24 AM
Any boiler experts/electricians?

Switched off the heating from the programmer thingy, but a few minutes later the house was still roasting. The boiler had fired up again itself even though the Lights on the programmer was off.

Eventually, I located a switch in the press and turned that off, which turned heating off.  I'm now having to use this switch to turn on/off the heating (instead of the programmer thingy).

Any ideas? Does it sound like a big job? And for who, an electrician or a boiler expert?
Plumber.

Smokin Joe

Replacing the valve head worked for me. So it didn't need a plumber as it was just wiring that that was involved.

BennyCake

Quote from: Smokin Joe on December 27, 2020, 11:59:42 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 27, 2020, 11:46:24 AM
Any boiler experts/electricians?

Switched off the heating from the programmer thingy, but a few minutes later the house was still roasting. The boiler had fired up again itself even though the Lights on the programmer was off.

Eventually, I located a switch in the press and turned that off, which turned heating off.  I'm now having to use this switch to turn on/off the heating (instead of the programmer thingy).

Any ideas? Does it sound like a big job? And for who, an electrician or a boiler expert?

I'm far from an expert, but I had a problem similar to this and it was caused by a faulty motorized valve.  The valve wasn't opening and closing as it should have done from either the controller on the wall or the thermostat.
My problem was fixed by replacing the motorised valve.

Until I got the valve replaced I turned the heat on and off by manually flicking the motorised valve on and off with my hand.

Might something like that be your issue?

Yes, spoke to an electrician nearby who said the same. New valve needed.

Can still use the heating by turning on/off the switch in the press until valve replaced.

illdecide

Take the head of and if you can turn the wee brass nipple thingie easily then the head just need replaced (actuator head). Get the same actuator head as the faulty one and replace wire for wire and hey presto (make sure you have isolated the power first). If the we brass nipple thingie is stiff to turn with your finger and thumb then you need to replace the whole valve which will need a plumber. Plumbers can change these without draining the system but you need to know what you're doing or you'd flood the place. If you have a pressure system (red expansion vessell in hotpress with a pressure gauge) then it can be replaced by dropping the pressure.
For now just use the isolating switch to turn heating on and off until you get the actuator head.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch