Home Heating

Started by nrico2006, December 03, 2010, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

I know there was a thread on Oil usage but cant find it,

How may litres of oil a year is being used by the board members? and how much does a quarterly electric bill be?

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

clarshack

Quote from: Onion Bag on March 26, 2013, 01:05:38 PM

How may litres of oil a year is being used by the board members? and how much does a quarterly electric bill be?

not sure about oil usage, but our last quarterly electric bill covering nov, dec and jan was £127

nrico2006

Quote from: clarshack on March 26, 2013, 01:11:02 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on March 26, 2013, 01:05:38 PM

not sure about oil usage, but our last quarterly electric bill covering nov, dec and jan was £127

Jesus, thats cheap for the electric.  I would say we use about 1200 litres a year or thereabouts.  Electric was about 50 a month until new baby came and now working out at 70 a month, probably due to the woman being at home all day and wrecking the shit out of the tumble dryer and washing machine.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Probably in the region of 70 quid a month for electricity and about 2000ish litres of oil, although Mrs. Baloney is in full charge of all those arrangements so can't be 100% sure.

Onion Bag

My electric bills are around £200 a quarter,

My oil usuage is about 2500-3000 litres a year (Far too f**king much)

clarshack are you running round the house with candles

clarshack

Quote from: Onion Bag on March 26, 2013, 01:43:45 PM

there's 3 days in the week where there's no one at home for about 9 hours during the day which would help out a lot.

when we are home, the TV (plasma), skybox, dvd player, PC, oven, washing machine etc would be on a right bit. we have a dish washer and tumble dryer but both are hardly ever used. radiators are used to dry clothes.

all lights are those energy efficient ones.

i would be one for switching off everything at night - more to do with fire prevention than anything.

reddgnhand

Quote from: clarshack on March 26, 2013, 02:03:14 PM

there's 3 days in the week where there's no one at home for about 9 hours during the day which would help out a lot.

when we are home, the TV (plasma), skybox, dvd player, PC, oven, washing machine etc would be on a right bit. we have a dish washer and tumble dryer but both are hardly ever used. radiators are used to dry clothes.

i would be one for switching off everything at night - more to do with fire prevention than anything.

I'm doing something wrong my direct debit is at £120 a month for electric.

Onion Bag

I reckon you are, thats £360 a quarter, sounds very expensive,

illdecide

I wish I had £5 or €5 for every time somone in the last month have said to me..."there must be something wrong with my boiler for im using far too much oil". we have now had 5 full months of winter which generally doesn't happen, usually by now the heating is only on for an hour instead of all evening.  of course if I had have serviced their boiler it would be running more efficient  :P
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Tony Baloney

Quote from: reddgnhand on March 26, 2013, 03:13:15 PM
Quote from: clarshack on March 26, 2013, 02:03:14 PM

I'm doing something wrong my direct debit is at £120 a month for electric.
When we changed to Airtricity they gave us an energy monitor which was an eye opener. Mrs. B switched everything off and worked around the house switching all on in turn and the biggest killer, outside the known culprits like tumble dryer etc., was all the spotlights in the kitchen. Easily forgotten about but 50W x 20 isnt long mounting up if left on for hours on end (which USED to be the case in our house!). Ours bills dropped from an ave of ~£100 per month to £60-70.

laoislad

What ya doing putting 20 down lighters in a kitchen anyway?
They are a big user of power right enough.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on March 26, 2013, 08:49:43 PM
What ya doing putting 20 down lighters in a kitchen anyway?
They are a big user of power right enough.
14 downlighters, 2 drops and assorted under-unit lights. If I knew what I know now I would have put in a couple of 6' twin fluorescents instead!

balladmaker

QuoteWhen we changed to Airtricity they gave us an energy monitor which was an eye opener. Mrs. B switched everything off and worked around the house switching all on in turn and the biggest killer, outside the known culprits like tumble dryer etc., was all the spotlights in the kitchen. Easily forgotten about but 50W x 20 isnt long mounting up if left on for hours on end (which USED to be the case in our house!). Ours bills dropped from an ave of ~£100 per month to £60-70.

Have a load of spotlights around the house, counting in my head approx. 48 of them.  All low energy, a bit more costly at the time of buying but well worth it.  10000 hrs life and adding little to monthly bill, paying £67 a month at present via Budget Energy. The spots are also on a lot.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: balladmaker on March 26, 2013, 09:22:30 PM
QuoteWhen we changed to Airtricity they gave us an energy monitor which was an eye opener. Mrs. B switched everything off and worked around the house switching all on in turn and the biggest killer, outside the known culprits like tumble dryer etc., was all the spotlights in the kitchen. Easily forgotten about but 50W x 20 isnt long mounting up if left on for hours on end (which USED to be the case in our house!). Ours bills dropped from an ave of ~£100 per month to £60-70.

Have a load of spotlights around the house, counting in my head approx. 48 of them.  All low energy, a bit more costly at the time of buying but well worth it.  10000 hrs life and adding little to monthly bill, paying £67 a month at present via Budget Energy. The spots are also on a lot.
I need the low energy yokes.

nrico2006

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 26, 2013, 09:26:35 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on March 26, 2013, 09:22:30 PM

I need the low energy yokes.

Keep meaning to get an energy monitor.  I have a few spotlights in ther kitchen (6 I think), with anohter 6 underneath the cupboards.  The woman has them on a good bit and I am fully aware of their affect on the bill.  Looked at the low energy ones a few weeks ago and they are some price, just going to replace each spotlight with its energy saving equivalent as they go.  Got an electric bill from airtricity last month for £100, £30 up on the normal bill.  Wrecked the head trying to figure out what had been done differently, eventually came to me that it was during the period from start of January for about 3 weeks where we started letting the child go to sleep ont heir own upstairs and left the landing lights on for 3 or 4 hours every night (6 spotlights).  That 3 or 4 hours for 30 days was the £30 difference.  Just got the new bill out yesterday and it was back to £68 and in that period the landing lights have not been on.  Going to make a push now on the kitchen the more I think about it as could probably knock the bill down to about £50 or less.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'