McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

I'm quite aware of the make up of the selection panel Uladh. You are not focusing on the main thrust of my argument.

In the interests of the success of the squad going forward can you not see that, any vote taken by the players (and subsequent voting by the player reps) should have been carried out in strict confidence so as not to sour any relationship between themselves and the management team selected. Surely you can see that it will be very difficult for any manager to manage a group of players who you now know hold such a low opinion of you (26-2). How would you feel going in to manage a team knowing that they didn't want you in the first place? Would be pretty difficult.

Any word of you addressing my earlier post Reillers?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Uladh

I'd agree with most of that Indiana, apart from them being "self opinionated" (not much use if someone else is giving you your opinions), but surely in this instance they have done little more than what they are required to do?
if they feel from trainin and playing under the man that gerald mccarthy is a bit short then that is obviously how they will vote when asked to?

Uladh

Quote from: theskull1 on October 25, 2008, 04:42:56 PM
In the interests of the success of the squad going forward can you not see that, any vote taken by the players (and subsequent voting by the player reps) should have been carried out in strict confidence so as not to sour any relationship between themselves and the management team selected. Surely you can see that it will be very difficult for any manager to manage a group of players who you now know hold such a low opinion of you (26-2). How would you feel going in to manage a team knowing that they didn't want you in the first place? Would be pretty difficult.

how did the vote become public?
are they required to inform the county board of the exact make up of their vote?
how does any of this type of info get into the public domain?

theskull1

Quote from: Uladh on October 25, 2008, 04:43:55 PM
I'd agree with most of that Indiana, apart from them being "self opinionated" (not much use if someone else is giving you your opinions), but surely in this instance they have done little more than what they are required to do?
if they feel from trainin and playing under the man that gerald mccarthy is a bit short then that is obviously how they will vote when asked to?

Lets not forget Uladh that this would have been a demand of the players during last years settlement. So they are the ones who wanted to have these powers. They will maybe see now the damage that having such powers can have.

I must admit I have no idea who publicised any of this information. Can anyone enlighten us? You're close to things there Reillers. Are both the players reps the players themselves really angry that this information has got out?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Uladh

Quote from: theskull1 on October 25, 2008, 05:03:11 PM
Lets not forget Uladh that this would have been a demand of the players during last years settlement. So they are the ones who wanted to have these powers. They will maybe see now the damage that having such powers can have.

I wouldn't agree with that skull. Any man interested in taking that sort of position would surely want to be fully informed of the starting opinions of his players. eyes wide open and all that. obviously McCarthy feels he can win them over.

i think every county should have player input on appointments. After all the players are the ones who are exposed to the standard of coaching/ management available in the country on a regular basis and are the best placed to know the capabilities of any manager.

cicfada

Hi  folks! A Galwayman livin in Cork I am and amazed at another potential Winter of Dispute coming up here! Mc Carthy doesn't impress me at all as   a coach but was the reason that he was voted back so overwhelmingly that there was no alternative to him? The co board said: "Mc carthy is our choice"   and in the absence of an alternative he was voted back? I'll give ya  an alternative..Seanie O'Brien from Midleton for a start! I feel sorry for some of the players, they have given it all but still find themselves streets behind the cats as every other team is as well these days! Mc Carthy may come good next year but on top of that the players have an awful lot of miles on the clock and is there really that much coming through in the underage? The Co Board comes across at times like people more concerned about keeping the players in their place than doing the right thing  for Cork Hurling!

Reillers

Quote from: cicfada on October 25, 2008, 07:28:57 PM
Hi  folks! A Galwayman livin in Cork I am and amazed at another potential Winter of Dispute coming up here! Mc Carthy doesn't impress me at all as   a coach but was the reason that he was voted back so overwhelmingly that there was no alternative to him? The co board said: "Mc carthy is our choice"   and in the absence of an alternative he was voted back? I'll give ya  an alternative..Seanie O'Brien from Midleton for a start! I feel sorry for some of the players, they have given it all but still find themselves streets behind the cats as every other team is as well these days! Mc Carthy may come good next year but on top of that the players have an awful lot of miles on the clock and is there really that much coming through in the underage? The Co Board comes across at times like people more concerned about keeping the players in their place than doing the right thing  for Cork Hurling!

And here was me thinkiing that you couldn't sum up the CCB in one sentence..I was wrong.  ;D ;D
You know I don't think I'd be so annoyed if I knew that there weren't players there. But there are. Some are just not getting a fair look at, and for one reason and one reason only, bloody politics again. Like you look at half the Sars team and you wonder why the hell aren't some of them on the bloody minor Cork team.
Cork is the biggest county and have a hell lot more clubs to choose from then most do. There's changing tides in hurling, the big teams like Newton, Cloyne etc are becoming replaced by the likes of Sars. The Sars win in the final has potentially been a huge boost to Cork hurling. There are players not only sitting on the fringes or pushing the lads training but that aren't being looked at at all.
Which just so frustrating.

There are players there.

Jack Herlihy, Chris Murphy, Brendan Barry, Brian Moylan, Horgan, Sheehan, Sully Og, Cussen, Corry, Cian Mac, Leigh Desmond, Cadogan (might be pressed to go with the footballers, unreal footballer), John O Callaghan.
After the junior final today, maybe Diarmuid O'Riordan, 12 points in horrific conditions, a class act.

O'Leary, O'Callaghan, Conor O' Driscoll
(But I think O'Driscoll and O'Callaghan should be allowed to develop underrage first and blood O Leary prefer to blood Paul O'Leary as he is overage in 09 and looks a prospect.)

Darragh McSweeney..maybe.

Cian Lordan I think should get a run out with the U21s..there's something there with him. But it needs to be worked on.

I'd love if Callinan was on the panel a full back we've got there, was very good against Sars, he's got a bit of a temper though, but I think that fire, that passion he has is what makes him as good as he is.

Or even higher up the field a bit, that point in the semi final against Sars, where he burst up the field was without a doubt one of the best I've seen in a long time. He's got power and pace and would be a sight for sore eyes if he was lined up with Tom/Jerry. That's something I'd like to see.

I'd go on but I'd be here a while and really it's beggining to hurt my wrist which is sore for the umpteenth time from training.

The Cork selectors have to be broad minded if they're to find new talent. There are players there, but they need to be found they're not going to fall into the selectors laps.

orangeman

So this is a storm in a tea cup created by a few posters on this site - there is in fact no problem and Donal Og and all the lads will be out training away in January again ?

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on October 26, 2008, 12:15:55 AM
So this is a storm in a tea cup created by a few posters on this site - there is in fact no problem and Donal Og and all the lads will be out training away in January again ?

No there is a problem, but all I'm saying is that they've done nothing yet but take a vote, they haven't said a word to the media, they've done nothing yet and the only thing they can do is retire.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on October 26, 2008, 12:18:52 AM

No there is a problem, but all I'm saying is that they've done nothing yet but take a vote, they haven't said a word to the media, they've done nothing yet and the only thing they can do is retire.

Retire ?? That's plainly ridiculous - there are any number of teams up and down the country where men are put in charge of teams - the players mightn't like the choice but very few of the players say, ok we'll retire instead of playing for him.

That's a stupid option.

Do the players want Ger Cunningham ???

If so, why do they want him ? Is it just so as they can say, they picked him and not the County Board ?

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on October 26, 2008, 12:30:53 AM
Quote from: Reillers on October 26, 2008, 12:18:52 AM

Retire ?? That's plainly ridiculous - there are any number of teams up and down the country where men are put in charge of teams - the players mightn't like the choice but very few of the players say, ok we'll retire instead of playing for him.

That's a stupid option.

Do the players want Ger Cunningham ???

If so, why do they want him ? Is it just so as they can say, they picked him and not the County Board ?

I'm not saying they're going to, the stupid option, but the only option. Under the peace agreement they can't go on strike, it was part of the agreement, that they'd never strike again.

I don't know if they want Ger Cunningham, but they were annoyed that he along with the other backroom staff didn't even get an interview, they had felt that they'd deserved an interview after all they'd done for Cork hurling.

They are so sick of the board and everything that comes with them, the poltics, the constant fighting, the stabbing in the dark..etc. That they are prepared to walk away from it all. They've been pushed that far. 

Mike Sheehy

why dont they just let the players manage themselves for a couple of years and see how well they do. That way they can shut the Co. board up for good or, more likely, will teach them that they may not know as much about what it takes to manage a team as they think.

orangeman

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on October 26, 2008, 01:06:30 AM
why dont they just let the players manage themselves for a couple of years and see how well they do. That way they can shut the Co. board up for good or, more likely, will teach them that they may not know as much about what it takes to manage a team as they think.

Maybe this is a silly suggestion but why don't they just do what everybody else does and play and stop being so militant.

It seems to me that the players weren't happy with merely getting two votes - they now want to be able to appoint the manager.

orangeman

I can see Donal Og being manager in the not too distant future.

tayto

How is anyone supposed to go into that set-up and call the tough shots that need to be called at this stage. do anything unpopular and they'll have you out the next chance they get. feckin ridicilous at this stage.