McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on October 27, 2008, 11:21:35 AM
It seems to me that Mc Carthy with a lot of encouragement from certain quarters has decided this :

I have won 6/7 AI titles with Cork - I am as good and probably better than these bunch of lads - they've stuck their necks out now for much too long and last year and haven't delivered. So I'm going to take them on and I'm going to stand my ground this time.

How good an intercounty coach is he Orangeman?

cicfada

Why didn't the players bring forward an alternative before the delegate vote?  I mean the players could  have gone to their own clubs and mentioned the alternative couldn't they?? Mc Carthy doesn't impress me as a coach but players have to take responsibility as well don't they? Galway players were eager to blame Louis Mulqueen for his training tacitics but had 1 other forward played to his ability against Cork they would have beaten them that  day! Can't blame the manager or coaching staff for that, now can they? At the end of the day Kilkenny are so far ahead of the posse that I don't think any team will come close to them no matter who the coach is with any team! As narrow-minded as the co board are in Cork, surely the players realise that they are only temporary holders of the Cork shirt. Cork will come good again but I feel sorry for the younger members of the panel who have now committed to quitting the  inter-county scene!!

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on October 27, 2008, 01:07:07 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 27, 2008, 11:21:35 AM
It seems to me that Mc Carthy with a lot of encouragement from certain quarters has decided this :

I have won 6/7 AI titles with Cork - I am as good and probably better than these bunch of lads - they've stuck their necks out now for much too long and last year and haven't delivered. So I'm going to take them on and I'm going to stand my ground this time.

How good an intercounty coach is he Orangeman?

As Gardiner and Cusack had spoken to him the previous day, this time Seán Óg Ó hAilpín was the first to address Gerald. This, he said, had nothing to do with him as a person, father, respected businessman and former playing great, but they felt he wasn't the right man for the job. McCarthy disputed that, citing his five All Irelands as a player and his record with Cork and St Finbarr's as a coach and trainer in the early '80s and '90s and his time with Waterford. Ó hAilpín said that was all fine and good but they were going on what they'd seen the previous two years.

Doctors differ, patients die !

Asal Mor

This is about the Cork players wanting to win the All Ireland in 2009. Nothing else. Throwing digs that this is about money is pretty childish.

Deiseach  -  It doesn't matter if 100% of delegates are behind McCarthy. Delegates can't field puck outs ike Ronan Curran or score points like Ben O Connor. If all these guys retire Cork won't be winning anything with their B team.

What we are hearing from Cork players in the press is that they have lost 5 championship games in 2 years under McCarthy. Is it unreasonable to want to give themselves the best possible chance of getting back to the top? Second place is unacceptable to these guys. That is why they want change.

These players took a brave stance in 2002 and it paid off spectacularly. They are hugely talented, intelligent sportsmen who are not afraid to speak out, but people seem to think that just because they took action previously, that they should put up and shut up on this occasion. That they spoke out,  shows me these guys still believe they can win All - Irelands. Judging by some of the stuff being fired at them on this board, you can't blame them for thinking "shag this, i'm walking away, enough is enough", and the big loser in all this will be hurling. No more Curran, no more Tom & Jerry, no more Sean Og, no more Ben O Connor etc. I'm a Galway man with no allegiance to Cork, but i LOVE hurling and these guys have given us so many amazing days. That is what is important, not the CCB, "administative processes", "player power" or all that bullsh1t. The 2009 Championship will be a much poorer one  for their absence.

deiseach

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 27, 2008, 03:32:27 PM
Deiseach  -  It doesn't matter if 100% of delegates are behind McCarthy. Delegates can't field puck outs ike Ronan Curran or score points like Ben O Connor. If all these guys retire Cork won't be winning anything with their B team.

I think you'll find that 100% of the delegates supporting a particular stance does indeed matter. The selection panel chooses the manager and the delegates ratify the appointment. This was a process which was agreed by the players. If you'd rather the manager was chosen by the players then propose such a motion at your club. It would be interesting to see how much support you find for such a proposal.

orangeman

This is about the Cork players wanting to win the All Ireland in 2009. Nothing else. Throwing digs that this is about money is pretty childish.

Deiseach  -  It doesn't matter if 100% of delegates are behind McCarthy. Delegates can't field puck outs ike Ronan Curran or score points like Ben O Connor. If all these guys retire Cork won't be winning anything with their B team.

What we are hearing from Cork players in the press is that they have lost 5 championship games in 2 years under McCarthy. Is it unreasonable to want to give themselves the best possible chance of getting back to the top? Second place is unacceptable to these guys. That is why they want change.
These players took a brave stance in 2002 and it paid off spectacularly. They are hugely talented, intelligent sportsmen who are not afraid to speak out, but people seem to think that just because they took action previously, that they should put up and shut up on this occasion. That they spoke out,  shows me these guys still believe they can win All - Irelands. Judging by some of the stuff being fired at them on this board, you can't blame them for thinking "shag this, i'm walking away, enough is enough", and the big loser in all this will be hurling. No more Curran, no more Tom & Jerry, no more Sean Og, no more Ben O Connor etc. I'm a Galway man with no allegiance to Cork, but i LOVE hurling and these guys have given us so many amazing days. That is what is important, not the CCB, "administative processes", "player power" or all that bullsh1t. The 2009 Championship will be a much poorer one  for their absence.

I think this is a big part of the problem - maybe they now think they're better than they were or are ? Waterford thought they should have been winning AIs as well, shafted Mc Carthy, got to an AI final and were beaten in 10 minutes.

theskull1

Deiseach  -  It doesn't matter if 100% of delegates are behind McCarthy.

Oh right. I'm the one being childish  :D

I'll love you to explain to me why you think that it is chilish of me to consider even for a second that a GPA led group of individuals would have a financial incentive hidden away from view?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on October 27, 2008, 05:17:50 PM

Deiseach  -  It doesn't matter if 100% of delegates are behind McCarthy.

Oh right. I'm the one being childish  :D

I'll love you to explain to me why you think that it is childish of me to consider even for a second that a GPA led group of individuals would have a financial incentive hidden away from view?

Of course you're being childish ! And foolish ! And stupid !!  ;) ;) ;) ;)

There's no way they'd take a cent for their hurling ! All they want to be able to do is win another AI for Cork.

They might be be able to increase their appearance money on the back of a win.  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Reillers

TheSkull, are you really that naive, have you learnt nothing about Cork hurling or Cork people for that matter, the GPA led group..ya I'm pretty sure they are able to think and act for themselves..(see 2 strikes for examples) they took on and continue to take on the board when know one else in the county is brave enough to do. There's all lip talk all right but when it comes down to it. It's heads down and lips tight. No one has the balls except these lads. 2002 was the best thing that ever happened to Cork hurling, and they went in knowing that this could be the end, but they knew that it was much bigger then just those 30 odd players. It's the same this time round as well. They are willing to take on the board yet again in what will be the greatest test of their unity, for the good of Cork hurling, they are willing to sacrifce their careers so we can get back to where we were. They put up with it for too long now, and finally, FINALLY home could be in sight..but unfortunatley the players could loose this one, because not enough people can see the truth, they are too caught up in their petty little snobby comments to care. If they loose then hopefully it'll be enough to push others to step forward and take on the CCB, to get rid of them, once and for all.

Look, the players aren't blameless, and they could have handle things alot better, they could have done things more politicaly, more diplomatically, they could have handled it better. But it's a sad, sad day when the CCB would rather see the players retire then win another AI.

Take a read of the article from the Sunday Tribune. Maybe then you'll understand, maybe then you wont be so quick to judge, because you're factless, clueless, bitter childish posts are getting on my nerves at this stage.

http://www.tribune.ie/sport/article/2008/oct/26/wary-rebels-rise-up-again/

theskull1

:) You some laugh Reillers. You have always been in the pockets of the cork players, so I and alot of others are not prepared to take anything you say as impartial. Hopefully you'll forgive me for gathering what little I do know about this saga from as many sources as possible and have taken the views that I have. I know for sure that we're never going to agree but I'm not going to be silienced by the likes of you from stating which is only my opinion.

BTW I hope you read the comments at the bottom of that article.......made me feel quite in tune with the average GAA man. I'd recommend AFR as well. Hopefully then you might cast your distain at a wider audience

And standing up GAA ideals are far more important than AI success, but I can see why you wouldn't be able to see that, being a cork players man.

I have this image of all these high profile cork players walking out the door whilst everyone else ignores thems

"Thats it, I'm outta here"

silence

"I said I'm leaving and I won't be back"

silence

"I'm serious, I won't be coming back, thats me"

silence

"seriously folks I mean it"

silence

"hello?"

silence

"hello??"

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on October 28, 2008, 12:15:12 AM
:) You some laugh Reillers. You have always been in the pockets of the cork players, so I and alot of others are not prepared to take anything you say as impartial. Hopefully you'll forgive me for gathering what little I do know about this saga from as many sources as possible and have taken the views that I have. I know for sure that we're never going to agree but I'm not going to be silienced by the likes of you from stating which is only my opinion.

BTW I hope you read the comments at the bottom of that article.......made me feel quite in tune with the average GAA man. I'd recommend AFR as well. Hopefully then you might cast your distain at a wider audience

And standing up GAA ideals are far more important than AI success, but I can see why you wouldn't be able to see that, being a cork players man.

I have this image of all these high profile cork players walking out the door whilst everyone else ignores thems

"Thats it, I'm outta here"

silence

"I said I'm leaving and I won't be back"

silence

"I'm serious, I won't be coming back, thats me"

silence

"seriously folks I mean it"

silence

"hello?"

silence

"hello??"

Oh my God you are some dope, I mean really. I've seen and read some stupid posts but yours constantly top the list.
First of all, you CLEARY didn't read it.
Secondly I'm in no ones pocket.
Thirdly you continue to blurt out insults and oppinions when you clearly know feck all about the situation, you even said it yourself, you know feck all.
And what comments, there's nothing at the end of it.

And ya, you're right no one at all would care if some of the best players in the country left. Naive and media spun is what you are. (Clearly if you recomend AFR you are)

Are you by any chance Frank Murphy??

I mean really, you're such a child. You're too petty to even consider there being another side.

theskull1

Thats what is called an ad hominem abusive argument Reillers. Trying to discredit my opinions does not take away the widley held views of many forum members including many well respected Cork contributors who are poles apart with your position. What are you going to do with them? You'll be a while.

I CLEARLY didn't read it with your spectacles on

Has someone else access to your account Reillers because your contributions in the past have always been on the side of the players. I thought the Bard was the first to suffer.

I don't intend to get into the who's the biggest child debate if you don't mind.

The GAA

Skull and OM - you two lad should give it a rest. it's embarassing when posters end up like yourselves typing out irrelevent nonsense just to be arguing, ignoring clearly thought out posts and generally just trying to catch the eye with cliches. OM in particular has previous in unintelligent dross which sounds like it could be right just to fill space and be seen to be engaged in a topic he knows nothing about.

theskull1

It's equally cringeable when someone like yourself feels that he has the authority to describe anything that I've written as "irrelevant nonsense". The reality is that you have no idea if it is irrelevant or nonsense. I may be voicing an opinion that some people may not like to hear, but I believe there to substance to it. Yes I'm reading between the lines. Yes I'm voicing an opinion which is rather unsavory. But I've came to that conclusion after trying to understand what would make "a group of players" actively go out to intentionally try to humiliate one of their finest corkmen, to the point that they could then get their way as regards the selection of a manager. The lack of respect shown by them is as hard to fathom as it is to stomach. Independant of whether they believed all the things they have said and had written about his failings as a coach and manager or not it, you just don't come out and say things like that to people who are passionate about doing the job and have been voted democratically to do it.

So

One must read between the lines to understand what motivates these players who have got and given so much from the game of hurling to show such a lack of respect? Men with dignity who held those beliefs would have had two choices. Walk away in a dignified way or stay and commit 100% and attempt to iron out any differences next season whilst still supporting their manager 100%. These boys took a third opion which exposed to me a dreadful desire to be successful at any cost. Dignity and respect for those around you did not matter as long as their objectives were met. That told me enough to believe that something else is driving these boys and they have lost the run of themselves. I'm not the only one who thinks it. The vast majority are totally scundered with the Cork Hurlers. So why attck me instead of my arguments? Lets be having you?

AZOffaly

Lads, I missed all the news this weekend as I was in London, so can somebody succinctly, and without bias on either side let me know what the Jaysus is going on down there.

I was told Donal Óg was in favour of McCarthy (see TBT's response to my ignorant first post), now it appears from Humphries article he wasn't. So 26 players don't want McCarthy, and 2 do. Is that it? But all the CB delegates do want McCarthy?

And the process that was agreed after the last strike was that the players would have 2 reps on the process to appoint a manager but they abstained? Or did they vote no?

And the unhappy players are retiring rather than striking, as per the agreement last year? At least that is a better approach in my view.

As has been said before, I have very little visibility of the internal workings in Cork, apart from chatting to a few lads down there. What I would say, in a general point no matter what the county, is that these palyers put in savage efforts, and deserve the best preparation they can get. If they feel they cannot or are not being prepared well enough then they should retire. I abhor the notion of a 'strike' in the GAA, but I do support a players right to stop doing something he no longer enjoys.