Dublin v Cork - All Ireland semi final 11th August Croke Park 3.30pm

Started by CitySlicker11, July 29, 2013, 09:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 12, 2013, 03:50:02 PM
Quote from: neilthemac on August 12, 2013, 10:31:41 AM
Jimmy Barry must be a great coach.

Done a fantastic job is must be said. I can only presume that the players must be in complete awe of him because when you look at those Cork players individually on paper I don't think they are a particularly great side. Some fine hurlers there no doubt but also lots of lads that have been there over the past numbers of years that you would have labelled as decent hurlers but no world beaters. They've taken their chance this year though as the contenders have fallen by the wayside and they are obviously all pulling together in one direction which can count for a lot believe me. Wouldn't put it past them winning it now.

I think it's more to do with Cork getting a lot better than anyone falling by the wayside. I thought the standard of hurling on Sunday was better than anything we saw last year, bar maybe, Galway in the Leinster Final and Kilkenny in the AI semi-final. This year's 4 semi-finalists should be strong contenders for the next few years. It's no fluke.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2013, 11:05:28 PM
The first yellow wasn't as bad a decision as people are making out. He hit him in the chest (admittedly right of centre) with a big shoulder. He may have been aiming for the shoulder and simply mis-timed it but shouldering someone on the front of the body is a yellow card.

Rule 5.33(a)  To charge an opponent in the back or the front.

Penalty; (i) free puck from where the foul occurred,
              (ii) Caution offender for committing any of the above fouls a second time;

Official Guide 2012

theticklemister

Referee was spot on the two accounts of the sending off. I dont know how anyone would think the first yella card was not as deserving as the second yella. Both yella card offences  . Referee was very good yestersay apart from Rushe should have seen the line.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 12, 2013, 06:57:15 PM

Done a fantastic job is must be said. I can only presume that the players must be in complete awe of him because when you look at those Cork players individually on paper I don't think they are a particularly great side. Some fine hurlers there no doubt but also lots of lads that have been there over the past numbers of years that you would have labelled as decent hurlers but no world beaters. They've taken their chance this year though as the contenders have fallen by the wayside and they are obviously all pulling together in one direction which can count for a lot believe me. Wouldn't put it past them winning it now.

This year's 4 semi-finalists should be strong contenders for the next few years. It's no fluke.

Maybe but I've heard that before. I remember two young Galway and Tipp sides contesting the 2001 final and everyone saying how these two teams would dominate hurling for the next few years. It took Galway 4 years to get back to the final and it took Tipp 8 years. I'm a firm believer in you have to take your chance when you are there as each year is different. Just look at the difference between Galway last year and this year or Dublin last year and this year. Without a doubt a couple of this year's semi-finalists will have a poor year next year because that's what generally happens.

seafoid

Cork haven't won an underage all Ireland since 2001 so JBM's work is very impressive. However hurling needs the other semi winners to come through . A Limerick all Ireland would be wonderful.

theskull1

History combined with a legend combined with furtive minds (combined with KK's demise) has taken Cork to the AI this year. Feel for Dublin..can't help but feel that lack of belief stopped them beating an establishment team at the business end of the season. A noble defeat was all they were capable of this year. It isnt called a "breaktrough" for nothing.

Twas a superb game.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Asal Mor

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 12, 2013, 07:15:19 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on August 12, 2013, 06:57:15 PM

This year's 4 semi-finalists should be strong contenders for the next few years. It's no fluke.

Maybe but I've heard that before. I remember two young Galway and Tipp sides contesting the 2001 final and everyone saying how these two teams would dominate hurling for the next few years. It took Galway 4 years to get back to the final and it took Tipp 8 years. I'm a firm believer in you have to take your chance when you are there as each year is different. Just look at the difference between Galway last year and this year or Dublin last year and this year. Without a doubt a couple of this year's semi-finalists will have a poor year next year because that's what generally happens.

It's true that a lot of us get carried away by the latest winners, especially if they are young, but I think the four semi-finalists have all improved a lot since last year. Kilkenny and Galway have certainly gone back a bit, but I think this year's championship has been of a higher standard than last year's.

I heard Conor Hayes on Galway Bay FM after the Clare v Galway game talking about how Galway had thrown away the chance of a soft All-Ireland ,with Kilkenny and Tipp gone, and that kind of talk annoys me. Imo if they were to play next week, the 4 semi-finalists would all wipe the floor with Galway, and I'd fancy them to beat Kilkenny or Tipp as well.

Canalman

Disappointed, very disappointed. Something in the back of my head saying this was our chance.

Alot of small things didn't go our way, missed frees, no actual advantage to us in  the "advantage rule"  by the referee  on 3 /4 occasions , unnecessary sending off, late substitutions that didn't work on the day and the worst imo was the complete lack of protection given to Maguire by our full back line for the goal. Basic basic stuff to sheperd your man away from the goalie.

Once again have to say that the sliotar is far too light/ small now as it is imo far too easy now to score from distance. Nash's puckouts are something else though........... putting the full back line under pressure .

No real quibble about the sending off.

INDIANA

Fortunately I had to fly to England straight after the game.

Very disappointed. We were well in it for 50 minutes but couldn't cope with being a man down.

Best of luck to Cork in the final but we're devastated if the truth be known.

Was never a sending off and I think we'd have nicked it with 15 men as we seemed to be improving in the second half.

But we'll never know now. Thanks to Dalo and Co. Hope he stays because I can't see anyone else picking the lads up.

Don't even know if I'll watch the other semi or final I'm that gutted over it.

Asal Mor

It must be a very tough loss for Dublin to take alright. We'll never know who'd have  won if O' Dwyer hadn't been sent off, but it was even money at that stage. The first yellow was an almost perfect shoulder, maybe a free, but it didn't deserve a yellow.       I thought O' Dwyer's performance was an example of how we'd hope the game would be played - physical, fearless and honest. He was heroic really. I'd prefer to see refs punishing the spare arm tackle more and the shoulder charge less. Rushe should have been sent off but he probably wouldn't have done it if O' Dwyer hadn't been sent off a few minutes earlier.

That's 2 unneccessary red cards (Shefflin's was the other one)  that have taken away from great championship games this summer, and both came from refs giving out yellows for harmless tackles.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Asal Mor on August 13, 2013, 12:24:14 PM
It must be a very tough loss for Dublin to take alright. We'll never know who'd have  won if O' Dwyer hadn't been sent off, but it was even money at that stage. The first yellow was an almost perfect shoulder, maybe a free, but it didn't deserve a yellow.       I thought O' Dwyer's performance was an example of how we'd hope the game would be played - physical, fearless and honest. He was heroic really. I'd prefer to see refs punishing the spare arm tackle more and the shoulder charge less. Rushe should have been sent off but he probably wouldn't have done it if O' Dwyer hadn't been sent off a few minutes earlier.

That's 2 unneccessary red cards (Shefflin's was the other one)  that have taken away from great championship games this summer, and both came from refs giving out yellows for harmless tackles.

I think it was "even money" right up to the time of Cork's goal. Dublin hung in after O'Dwyer was sent off but the goal a few minutes from the end finished them.

Keep the faith lads.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

johnneycool

Quote from: Canalman on August 13, 2013, 09:23:41 AM
Disappointed, very disappointed. Something in the back of my head saying this was our chance.

Alot of small things didn't go our way, missed frees, no actual advantage to us in  the "advantage rule"  by the referee  on 3 /4 occasions , unnecessary sending off, late substitutions that didn't work on the day and the worst imo was the complete lack of protection given to Maguire by our full back line for the goal. Basic basic stuff to sheperd your man away from the goalie.

Once again have to say that the sliotar is far too light/ small now as it is imo far too easy now to score from distance. Nash's puckouts are something else though........... putting the full back line under pressure .

No real quibble about the sending off.

Lack of protection aside, Maguire should have been out quicker and not lifted the ball so high as to allow the attacker the opportunity to flick it in. I think I'll show a clip of that goal to some of the young fellas I coach the odd time what I mean when I tell them the ball should be no higher than 6inches off the ground when jab or roll lifting. He'll know himself he should have done better.

the sending off aside, I think it was that goal that won the game as Dublin had chances to get back into it, but the goal margin was just too big.

Great game all the same and they can take comfort of sorts in knowing they're on the right track, but as the Galway lads know only too well there'll be an expectation from within the county to go the next step and the added pressure that that puts on players..

Asal Mor

Yep, Nicky English said it was a heavy touch and that he lifted the ball too high. A very slight mistake but when you're playing against lads like Pat Horgan you have to be perfect.

BartSimpson

Stil gutted after that last week. We were definitly on the up when OD was sent of. All this talk of Rush shud have got red annoys me too. If the excuse of a ref had did his job an given Rushy a free out before he reacted, it wudnt have come to this, an when you add the terible advantage rule he used it just shows how bad the ref was. Gave Cork the 50/50 calls too.

all that said, cork under jimmy barry are a great side. I think theyl win it now and i hope they do. we hurled really well that day, and they still bet us. So they must be a good team. Well done and good luck in the final.
guwan the parish