To unite or not to unite, that is the question.

Started by muppet, October 24, 2007, 12:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

If the European Union peoples had adopted the same attitude as Tankie the free state would be living a hand to mouth existence

Tankie

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 24, 2007, 02:39:02 PM

Tankie may be mentally retarded, but he is on the ball here in relation to what most free-staters think !
:D

Everything I say is well thought out and researched, it just a shame that people from outside south Dublin cannot see our logic and abuse us for it ;D
Grand Slam Saturday!

delboy

I actually think quite a few of the immigrants would vote to remain part of the UK, like it or not no matter what people think of British citizenship, it is still held in high regard (rightly or wrongly) by many foreign nationals from both europe and farther afield.

Tankie

Quote from: T Fearon on October 24, 2007, 02:45:17 PM
If the European Union peoples had adopted the same attitude as Tankie the free state would be living a hand to mouth existence

But we are now giving back to the EU, I aint to confident that the North would really benifit us financially!
Grand Slam Saturday!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tankie on October 24, 2007, 02:47:49 PM

Tankie may be mentally retarded, but he is on the ball here in relation to what most free-staters think !

Everything I say is well thought out and researched, it just a shame that people from outside south Dublin cannot see our logic and abuse us for it ;D

apologies,
I couldnt help putting that in
It game me great amusement writing it.
Glad you took it in the way it was intended! :D

Tankie

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 24, 2007, 02:50:41 PM
Quote from: Tankie on October 24, 2007, 02:47:49 PM

apologies,
I couldnt help putting that in
It game me great amusement writing it.
Glad you took it in the way it was intended! :D

Sure its Cake Day in work today so in 5 mins i'm off to the tea station so how couldnt i take it the funny way.

Roll on the cake tho, really hoping for Black Forrest today ;)
Grand Slam Saturday!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tankie on October 24, 2007, 02:56:20 PM
Sure its Cake Day in work today so in 5 mins i'm off to the tea station so how couldnt i take it the funny way.

jeez Tankie
where do you work - that sounds like heaven to me !
Must be the civil service !
I'd prob eat most of the cake myself!
:o

Black forrest gateaus are so disappointing. Sound great, look great, taste bland. I dont even like the cherries.
I used to get the best cake ever when I worked in a clothes shop in Dublin as a student.
One of the lads wives used to make a black forrest gateaux for us every so often. It was fantastic.
She was deaf and dumb, but a magnificent baker.

Evey Black forrest Gateau since has been a major disappointment

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 24, 2007, 03:41:40 PM

jeez Tankie

Black forrest gateaus are so disappointing. Sound great, look great, taste bland. I dont even like the cherries.
I used to get the best cake ever when I worked in a clothes shop in Dublin as a student.
One of the lads wives used to make a black forrest gateaux for us every so often. It was fantastic.

So Back forest Cateau shouldn't be the official Cake at the celebration of reunification then?
May i suggest some form of Ice Cream Cake?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

Tankie

jeez Tankie

The Black forest was top work by todays organiser, i hear what you saying that they can taste bland but with fresh cream it is just great. there was then some celebrations sweets to have with a cup of tea. Great stuff altogether.

And no i don't work for the Civil Service. I work for a Multi National and they are mad for team bonding and other crap, they just don't realise that in Ireland we see team bonding as a time to do nothing but eat cake and drink tea!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on October 24, 2007, 04:53:21 PM

jeez Tankie

The Black forest was top work by todays organiser, i hear what you saying that they can taste bland but with fresh cream it is just great. there was then some celebrations sweets to have with a cup of tea. Great stuff altogether.

And no i don't work for the Civil Service. I work for a Multi National and they are mad for team bonding and other crap, they just don't realise that in Ireland we see team bonding as a time to do nothing but eat cake and drink tea!
Would don't be working for a descendant of Marie-Antoinette by any chance?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Mentalman

Only citizens can vote in referenda in the south. The amount of current immigrants who will become citizens will be pretty small I imagine. I mean the majority of our current immigrants are from within the EU. Why would they take up Irish citizenship when they get all those rights by virtue of their EU citizenship...except the right to vote in a referendum? As for those from outside the EU zone, I'd say the percentage of those that become citizens is small. Firstly it's not easy. Secondly a lot of countries don't allow dual nationality, for instance India. Where we might think Irish citizenship is more advantageous, a good few Indians I know won't take Irish citizenship for that reason. Ultimately, like us when we emigrated, 99% of emigrants dream of moving home some day. So I reckon the number of immigrants turned citizens will be so small as to make no difference. But in a hypothetcal situation who knows? I'd say still an overwhelming vote for unification in the south. I mean most people will vote with their hearts. Why? Well someone would have to make the economic arguement against in any event to catch people's ears. Who among the current parties in the Dáil will do that, really? And if you think Fine Gael would I'm afraid you've not a clue, you need to stop being lead around by nose. Saving that only the unionist parties of the North would, and lets be honest, if there is one bunch of politicians suds hate more then their own, it's the DUP/UUP. Using German reunification as an example, a less storied split in my opinion than our own, the moans and groans about economics only came later, and I still think the vast majority of Germans would do it again.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tankie on October 24, 2007, 02:39:23 PM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on October 24, 2007, 02:31:29 PM
Quote from: Tankie on October 24, 2007, 02:06:54 PM
I wouldnt be too worried about the imagrants, do the people in the south want to unite. Alot of people in the South see the North as a ecconomic drain on the British govenerment and would be asking the question on whether we want to take that over. I would be all up for a United Ireland but the ecconomics would have to be right.

Oh ai! - I'm all right Jack!

- Cheers!  :'(

Whats the point in us all being broke. We have seen how badly Germany struggled with reunification. Unification is something that I would want to take place but not if it is going to set us all back years. I would also be looking for a 70% Yes vote from the north as a mininum because everyone would need to be on board for it to work.

It's a pity freestaters didn't feel the same way in 1921. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Lone Shark

5times has hit the nail on the head. The agenda now ongoing is to go as softly as possible and to avoid having to get the mandate of the people at any stage. How anyone can be amazed by the selfishness of the southern electorate after everything that's gone on never ceases to mystify me - if Bertie Ahern went to the electorate with a manifesto of shooting everyone over 80 years of age and as a result the subsequent lack of pension expenditure would mean huge tax cuts for everyone else, he'd still poll 40% and pull together a coalition government. God knows half the 82 year olds would probably vote for him too, since you couldn't be voting for someone that was on the wrong side of the civil war after all. We've been an "I'm all right Jack" society ever since we fell for Jack Lynch's ridiculous promises in the late seventies, and we'll never be anything different.

If this issue is brought to the polls, there is not a hope of the southern electorate passing it, and every minister and potential minister down here knows it - cross border bodies will multiply like weeds in the coming decade. As for 2016 - never. 2060 maybe.