GPA issues members with a ballot for strike!

Started by amallon, October 17, 2007, 04:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No1

I wholeheartedly agree with the wobbler and I would like to hear the questions that Lone Shark posed on another thread answered by a GPA rep:

Quote(1) What assurances can you give that should the government pull the funding, or refuse to increase it in line with inflation, you will not ask the GAA to make up the shortfall?

(2) The expenses are recompense for your members claiming that they are out of pocket. How do you propose that players substantiate this? Or do you consider it fair that a teacher, who is not out of pocket at all, be given the same compensation as a tradesman who could potentially earn thousands in the time he spends training?

(3) What do you propose to do with the inevitable follow on claims from ladies footballers and camogie players? Do you think they should receive the same, or will you stand up and claim that ye train way harder than they do and that they should get nothing?

(4) The government will set a limit per panel - what is the GPA's line on who these recipients should be? Who gets the grant - they guy who joins the panel in December but is cut in April, or the guy who was in Australia for the year but came back in late march?

(5) If ye go on strike, what will be your view towards club players who choose to take their chance to play for the county in ye're stead? Ye can hardly complain that these "pass the picket" as it were, since ye don't even allow these guys full membership of the union in the first place....

(6) Will your strike include all GAA games, or will players merely pick and choose the elements that suit them? Will Ben O'Connor's strike include Newtownshandrum's likely Munster and All Ireland campaign, or will it just be the Cork games in the winter that have no medals on offer? Ditto Aaron Kernan for Crossmaglen, or Cha Fitz for Ballyhale? (Not meant as a slight on any of these players, merely the obvious examples)

stpauls

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 18, 2007, 11:40:22 AM
if there was a 'strike' (how this could be so without being an actual union, and without it being a 'paid profession' is beyond me ! ! !)

Counties only need 20- 25 players to field teams and carry on with fixtures as normal, and you will find players would bo only too delighted to get the chance, hope to impress and remain in the county squad when the rest return - like some of the american footballer replacements did when the teams went on strike in 1987.

I wouldnt be worried at all that teams wont be fielded. thats what the general public will want, as these county teams are OUR teams and it is a priv for lads to be selected to play for them, not the other way around.

The GPA have hit upon some good points though.
Player welfare, disability payments etc - maybe even a GAA credit union for players needing loans etc
These things should be what the GAA addesses rather then wasting money paying players (not talking about expenses here).

agree with lynchbhoy's views here, i would certainly not disagree with players being re-embursed for their travel expenses, missed wages due to injury or anything that they may be out of pocket due to training/playing for the county, but most of these boys already get this from their CBs, free gear, holidays, meals etc. but for the GPA to demand that their members go on strike for the sake of more money, its a bit hard to swallow!! let them go on strike, see how long it lasts when they realise that the GAA world doesn't revolve around them!!!

Denn Forever

Quote from: amallon on October 18, 2007, 11:44:08 AM
I was so pissed off last night when I read the gpa's site (www.gaelicplayers.com) that I went and bought the domain www.gaelicsupporters.com with the intent of starting some anti GPA campaign.  Today I'm not too sure what to do with it,

The GPA have good ideas so I don't want to slag them off. The Grant situation needs to be clarified by the Government.  They suggested it??
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

his holiness nb

By all means reimburse them for all expenses, I'd never want to see a player out of pocket for playing for his county.

But would I be right in saying that most players expenses would already be covered?
Ask me holy bollix

Maximus Marillius

Well i know of one county player in derry who is self employed, if he has to take a day off work because of a dead leg or bruised ribs....does he get reimburshed...of course not...these are the real issues that need to be addressed

lynchbhoy

yeah - thats the last bit I meant to write about - the Gov grants
thats nothing to do with the GAA and we should not be dragged into this.
the GPA are trying to get  'grants' for players under the auspices of 'athletes' - which they are.
they have not had any success and are trying to get the GAA involved to kick start the Gov in doing this.
Though to be honest, its prob a nudge and a wink scenario between the GAA and Gov to not allow this happen...
I could be wrong

but to get this going, the GPA should be investing time and money in setting up a Gov approved board that can administer the grants rather then want the GAA to come in as middleman.
The gov should be asked what kind of official office setup is required and then the GPA must set it up.
However after all that cash on an office, systems and full time employees etc - how much will they take as a cut from the players...would it be worth it ?
Apart from the full time paid GPA employees ?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on October 18, 2007, 12:01:44 PM
Well i know of one county player in derry who is self employed, if he has to take a day off work because of a dead leg or bruised ribs....does he get reimburshed...of course not...these are the real issues that need to be addressed
does any club player the same.
Family member was out of work and pocket for 6 weeks when he broke his hand playing midfield for the club.
If he got anything it was equiv to a days wages. Not all his medical exp were covered either.
did he huff ?
No - he was back playing after two months...

deiseach

Quote from: dublinfella on October 18, 2007, 11:43:17 AM
yes, retired to junior at this stage though. there are a couple of county players at our club and im not sure that the lads in line for a call up would symbolically cross the line.

Taking this at face value, your club seems to be the only one where the non-GPA players are suffering such angst.

deiseach

If he got injured playing squash, who would he turn to to get reimbursed?

dublinfella

Quote from: deiseach on October 18, 2007, 12:07:33 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on October 18, 2007, 11:43:17 AM
yes, retired to junior at this stage though. there are a couple of county players at our club and im not sure that the lads in line for a call up would symbolically cross the line.

Taking this at face value, your club seems to be the only one where the non-GPA players are suffering such angst.

its possible to not support the GPA but have reservations about playing in their place.

behind the wire

Quote from: deiseach on October 18, 2007, 12:08:32 PM

If he got injured playing squash, who would he turn to to get reimbursed?

exactly right deiseach.

playing most sports involves some risk of injury, this is taken as granted by anyone who steps onto the football/hurling/rugby/hockey pitch. injuries happen, end of. the bottom line is that as gaa members we are the best looked after amateur sports people in the country as far as treatment after injury is concerned. i know that where i come from soccer and rugby players and officials speak with envy when they hear of the treatment we get when we break a leg or tear a cruciate compared to what they receive themselves.

in my opinion the gaa is leaps and bounds ahead of other sports in this field and for some to citicise it just shows that some people will never be happy no matter how much the gaa does.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

behind the wire

i know everyone is entitled to their opinion but could we please not indulge soccerfella in his quest to create controversy on this board every time a bone of contention arises regarding a GAA matter. he is only here to create a bit of a dust up and then run away back to the rovers.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

amallon

Where would the strike leave county players who are due to play in the provincial club championships over the next few weeks?  I can't see to many taking much notice being taken of the strike when a provincial championship is at stake.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

his holiness nb

Quote from: behind the wire on October 18, 2007, 12:21:01 PM
i know everyone is entitled to their opinion but could we please not indulge soccerfella in his quest to create controversy on this board every time a bone of contention arises regarding a GAA matter. he is only here to create a bit of a dust up and then run away back to the rovers.

Sorry behind the wire, I fall for it every time  :-[ :-[
For an indication as to whether he is really a GAA player I'd suggest people read through his previous posts before making your mind up.

Ask me holy bollix

deiseach

Quote from: his holiness nb on October 18, 2007, 12:33:15 PM
Sorry behind the wire, I fall for it every time  :-[ :-[

You (and I) need to acquire some of the Zen that oozes out of every pore of yer man in your avatar ;)