GPA issues members with a ballot for strike!

Started by amallon, October 17, 2007, 04:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

GPA issues members with a ballot for strike 
Wednesday, 17 October 2007 
The GPA today issued its members with a ballot for strike action due to the on-going failure of the Government and the GAA to implement sports grants for inter-county players. This significant action is being taken by the GPA following an extensive process of negotiation with our members. Four provincial meetings were held followed by a period of consultation where every county squad in Ireland was contacted to gauge the mood in regard to the grants issue and any potential protest.

The GPA executive has advised its members to vote in favour of the action which will consist of a removal of players from all inter-county competitions next season.

---------------------
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

amallon

Patience Wearing Thin 
Monday, 24 September 2007 
THERE is a famous quotation that states that the problem with gazing too frequently into the past is that we may turn around to find the future has run out on us.

In the GAA we tend to be obsessed with the past and unfortunately that obsession has pretty serious ramifications for players, particularly inter-county players. Certain changes do not happen quickly in our organisation particularly when it comes to players and it is only since the GPA was formed that the issue of our welfare been prioritised.

This, of course, is against the backdrop of massive infrastructural changes, massive new sponsorship deals, new advertising methods and increased television coverage. Everyone, even the politicians, are cashing in.  However, the protracted campaign for the introduction of sports grants for inter-county players is a perfect example of how serious player issues can be dragged out indefinitely. With every passing year another generation of players move on while the demands on those at the coalface continue to change. 
To put it simply, nothing really stays the same, except, of course, the status of the player. So, after five years campaigning for grants, we find ourselves in a position where the GAA have agreed that grants should be paid, the Government have agreed to give €5m to finance the grants but neither can agree a mechanism for making that money available to players.

In the meantime, another successful season for the GAA has closed, another batch of players have hung up their boots and the men who have been centre stage for the past four months will drift to the margins of Irish sport – where many are happy to keep them. I believe the time has come to cut to the chase. If neither party to this impasse over sports grants has any objection in principle to the scheme, then why have we an impasse? Why have we not received the grants? Are they really in favour of this scheme?

Well, I'm fed up and I know I'm not alone. At times I believe we are the laughing stock of the sporting world and no amount of back-slapping will change that perception. And maybe it's because Gaelic players do not look at the bigger picture often enough, consumed as we are with the grind and routine of life as an amateur player in a rapidly changing society. How many of you are out of pocket for bloody tickets after the season?

The grant scheme is the ideal opportunity for the GAA, the Government and the country as a whole to say to the inter-county playing body 'we respect you'. 

Does anyone have any idea how much money is generated on the back of a big fixture at Croke Park or Semple Stadium? And how much money goes back to the Exchequer with all the attendant business taking place around big games? Don't let any petty critic mislead you here; this scheme will not cost this country a red cent. It is the principle that really matters – and if that's what really matters then we can only assume that it is the principle has something to do with the impasse. If that is the case, we have a serious problem.

Either way, the time has come to sort this problem out once and for all. Either we embrace the future or remain in the past.

DONAL ÓG CUSACK

magpie seanie

Such utter tripe. Its about time a line was drawn in the sand.

amallon

If the players think they aren't getting well enough looked after, the simple solution is to walk away.  No one is forcing them to join their county setup.  I don't fully understand why we are having this impasse, the GAA have said they are in favour and the government have set aside the cash.  How hard is it to sort out the "mechanism" to dole it out?  What happens to players in the North?  Will the southern government dole out money to northern players? 

I don't trust the GPA and reading their website doesn't do much to set me at ease.  When you read between the lines all they are after is money.  I'll begrudge no county player the opportunity to make a few quid but the GPA really scare me.  Where will their appetite for money end?  I think they are after Pay for play!  Once someone is a paid employee they are free to change employer.  The GAA transfer market wouldn't be the imaginary thing we discuss here for time to time it would be a reality and the Dublin's of this world would be unstoppable!

Denn Forever

Who pays the money for the grant?

Government or GAA? 

Don't set a precedent.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

deiseach

It'd make you ill reading such self-serving twaddle. He clearly equates his own welfare with that of the association as a whole.

Bogball XV

I'm in favour of some sort of scheme for remunerating players, but these self-serving fcuks really annoy me - any grant scheme set-up should only be on the conditition that the GPA disbands immediately, and grants can only be awarded to players who are not members of any players organisation (well US multinationals get away with no-union clauses, why can't the gaa?).

Puckoon

If the players strike - wouldnt other club players take up their mantle? Its a real kick in the teeth to club players on the fringe of the intercounty set up.

theskull1

Yes they would. As others have said, if they're not happy about the way they're being treated, step aside, its easy if that was that was what it was all about.

Any players who strike should face a lifetime ban.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

thewobbler

Can't agree skull.

Instead, the GAA from top to bottom should just ignore this strike. And just keep ignoring it. And then some more. It will eventually disappear.

Because when Gaelic Games continue to played as always, and supported as always, then maybe a few of the GPA might realise that the GAA isn't about them.

People don't go to watch the players, they go to watch their teams, because unlike in other sports, your team is a matter of birthright, not choice. It's a part of you. I don't go to every Down Championship match to witness individuals. If I wanted to do watch individuals, I'd go watch Kerry...and it's legendary just how few watch the continually best team in the country pre-September.

I have never heard a sympathetic word for the GPA's 'plight' from anyone who has not not played county football. Everyone else (and that's the vast majority) feels the same way - why should those pricks get paid for taking to excess something that was supposed to be fun.

Tankie

Great discussion on Newstalk at the mo in regard to this.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Bensars

IMO the general mood has turned against the GPA. They had momentum about 18 months ago. I think the GAA has played this very well, while showing a certain amount of interest without jumping into bed with them.

They are voting on potential strike action in the off season purely so that in the long winter months they can maintain their public profile and in the quiet times it gives the journalists something to fill pages.

I am totally against everything they stand for. Yes i feel that players should not be out of pocket and suprised if many are. Yes there has been occassions when certain things have not been handled correctly but IMO there is no need for this.

Strike if its voted for, and watch the general consensus of the GAA turn  root and branch against everything the GPA stands for. IMO this is the beginning of the end and a last throw of the dice.

Is it also coincidental that this is now happening in a period of increased militantcy (sp) within unions generally ( aer lingus, postal workers, classroom assistants etc.)

I feel comrade Farrell et al are about to have their last stand,  against an  organisation that has 10's of thousands of volunteers to cover from children all the way  up to the superstars of our game there can only be one winner !!

Farrandeelin

How many members have the GPA anyway? It's not as if their numbers will make much difference to the general mood among most GAA men.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Pangurban

Best thing ever happened, a golden opportunity to flush these guys out,call their bluff and put an end to this nonsense once and for all. Above all it is vital that the G.A.A. hierarchy to not get drawn into negotiations or hostile media interviews, just hold to the line that this has nothing to do with the G.A.A. and all questions should be put to the G.P.A. and those involved

Bensars

Quote from: Pangurban on October 17, 2007, 08:26:40 PM
Best thing ever happened, a golden opportunity to flush these guys out,call their bluff and put an end to this nonsense once and for all. Above all it is vital that the G.A.A. hierarchy to not get drawn into negotiations or hostile media interviews, just hold to the line that this has nothing to do with the G.A.A. and all questions should be put to the G.P.A. and those involved

Thats exactly what they have done, and i think very well.

I agree totally, flush them out.