Derry too strong for Down in under 21 clash

Started by tayto, July 26, 2007, 01:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tayto

:o :o :o

Derry too strong for Down in under 21 clash
26 July 2007

Derry will meet Antrim in what is effectively the Ulster under 21 hurling final next week following their emphatic victory over Down at Ballinascreen on Wednesday night, July 25.

Derry.....4-18
Down.....2-4

The championship is being run on a round-robin basis this year and the winners of next Wednesday's clash will progress to the All-Ireland series. The writing was on the wall for the visitors after just 10 minutes when they found themselves 0-0 to 0-8 in arrears. The Oak Leafers tagged on a further six points without reply before Down eventually opened their account. Michael O'Prey scored a Down goal late in the first half, but they still trailed by 1-2 to 0-15 at the break.

Down reduced the gap before Derry took complete control with goals from Oisin McCloskey, Gavin Kelly, Sam Dodds and Kevin O'Neill. The demoralised visitors managed a late consolation goal from Eoin McGuinness.

Plain of the Herbs

Looks like the party is well and truly over for Down.

It was a marvellous achievement to stay at the top for so long with such limited resources but this year has been a nightmare - relegation from division 1 followed by mid-tavle in the Ring Trophy and now hammered twice at under 21 level.

Bacon

Sad state of affairs in Down hurling at the minute. I'll not start, in only depresses me.  >:(
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Gnevin

If something isnt done about Ulster hurling it Antrim will be the next to fall ,sad state of affairs
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

tayto

True enough, how about  bit of congratualtions to Derry for sorting out their u21s?

Silky

I was up in Portadown for a NHL match earlier in the year. The hurlin people in Down are the best in the world. Totally focused on hurling and love the game. But on their own local game. Everybody wanted to talk hurling but v few wanted to talk about the Down team. There's something wrong in the county IMO.  Too much local rivalty or lack of focus on the big picture. I don't know. Good people but lacking direction.

tayto

Yea, i've heard talk of the hurling folk up there not getting on with the down county board before alright.

Whitehair

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail and all that;

Antrim U21's consisting of 7 or more senior players had been playing training matches mixed together with the seniors in preparation for the championship, ive no idea how long they'd been together for as a panel and 3 days before the Down match held a team meeting which had 24 in attendance with 4 excused.
Down on the other hand, the day before the match have a panel named in the Irish News which must have been picked at a guess and are told to meet that evening. 16 are in attendance and leads to County officials ringing clubs to try make it look like they've a squad for the match the next evening.
Next evening Down are duly stuffed! Surprise Surprise! :-\

The Derry team from Wednesday night consisted of about half a dozen senior players(about 5 more than Down) and must have been alot better organised than in previous years when they didnt field last year and the previous year (which i was at) in Ballinascreen when they were "ringing around"!

Also just a note, i thought it was a bit pathetic the note in the Irish news stating the collection points for the ards players by bus, although non ards players must make their own way and be there no later than 6.30. It being an hour and a half or more from newry . Says alot about the way things are run imo...

Onlooker

Silky, I doubt very much if that NHL match was played in Portadown!!!!.   I expect you were in Portaferry.

Gnevin

Quote from: tayto on July 26, 2007, 03:22:59 PM
True enough, how about  bit of congratualtions to Derry for sorting out their u21s?
Opps sorry , Well down to Derry and the lads ,great to see the effort being put in , in any county at any level.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

johnneycool

Down U-21 hurlers have always been treated like shite and no one gives a flying f**k for them, so why should the players?

The panel named in the Irish news requesting players to attend training also had the little note at the bottom that the time and venue still to be decided and that was the day before. How in gods name do you expect anyone to plan to attend that when you don't have a clue where its at?
Secondly, there is no no U-21 hurling at club level in Down, so a lot of the management who end up taking the U-21's don't know who's available to them.
Thirdly, it seems to be that the U-21 job is done by the senior management who should be left to prepare the seniors. The U-21's need their own dedicated management team in place at the start of the year, not just a few nights before your first fixture which has been set months prior.
The strong hurling counties put a huge onus on U-21, but we in Down only pay it lipservice like a lot of things.

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

Another disaster for Down hurling although no point in blaming the lads playing they are trying their best. Let's remember this was a fairly poor minor team at that grade three years ago remember Antrim giving them a pasting in Casement Park before a classic draw between Down and Antrim. The year of Crossey's classic "don't bring the children" quote!

Don't know what is to be done with Down hurling, U14 development training last week .....11 players tuened up and that's only a month before they are due to go to Waterford. Problems at every level in the county and we need to do something quickly to stop the rot. Personally I think stronger teams in the non-Ards are required at minor and senior level to try and drive up the level of competition and the only way that will happen quickly is via amalgamation - the time is here for drastic measures but county structures seem happy to trundle along into hurling obivilion.

We had proabably our best minor team for the best ten years this year and what happened, no support from the county - selectors having to buy kit for the playesr from their own pocket, no challenge games organised bar those arranged directly by management - did you see the article in Irish News today, Antrim played Laois, Wexford and Dublin this year including a training weekend, some hope of getting that in Down.   :-[

Dutch

So who are the shining stars in this Derry-U21 team anyway...?

Whitehair

S Henry, M Kirkpatrick, M Craig, O Mc Closkey and Sean Leo Mc Goldrick a few others probably too, are all on the senior panel and have had game time during the Christy Ring. Paddy Henry's another who'l get on the senior panel he's still a minor. Comparing the teams Derry are far physically superior, same story when we played them 2 years ago at minor level with a number of 6 footers, or 'big footballers'  as they were referred to. The Down team would look more like a minor team and an averaged sized one at that.

treborstemme

Derry are not a team of six footers and not getting enough credit for their victory on here.  The are a team of out and out hurlers!  All the players mentioned below are under six foot by the way.  They also have the very accurate free taker in Gareth O'kane and maybe ten senior players so hopefully will put up a good game to antrim