Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Elon Musk to the rescue. Enjoy the ride!

Throw It Up Ref

Quote from: gallsman on August 17, 2022, 06:08:30 AM

I don't think you can take anything Elon Musk writes on twitter seriously. The man has a strange sense of humor.

gallsman

Of course you can't. He's an absolute dickhead of the highest order.

clarshack

Quote from: gallsman on August 17, 2022, 06:08:30 AM

turns out he was joking.
how Utd have fallen to be the butt of jokes from Elon Musk!.

trailer

Musk is a w**ker but it shows you the reach of the Manchester Utd brand. He wouldn't strike you as someone who follows a lot of sport in that he's a complete nerd.

Throw It Up Ref

United are a laughing stock at the minute.

They're being linked with a new signing every few hours.

trailer

Quote from: Throw It Up Ref on August 17, 2022, 02:29:12 PM
United are a laughing stock at the minute.

They're being linked with a new signing every few hours.

I think they are throwing names out to see if the supporters would approve. It's like they're doing a social media poll to decide.

GJL

Jim Ratcliffe now being linked with buying the club. I'd guess that would be an upgrade..

trailer

Quote from: GJL on August 17, 2022, 11:04:42 PM
Jim Ratcliffe now being linked with buying the club. I'd guess that would be an upgrade..

I'll believe it when I see it. But even a wealthy business man probably can't compete with state ownership like City or Newcastle.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/aae4029a-7f28-4b6f-92ae-20d41fad7ae8

Billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe has declared his interest in buying English football club Manchester United if its controlling owners, the Glazers, are open to a sale.

Ratcliffe, founder of the Ineos petrochemicals group and one of the UK's richest people, is a life-long supporter of the club and has often been tipped as a possible bidder if the US family chose to sell.

When asked on Wednesday about the prospect of acquiring or investing in United, an Ineos spokesperson said: "Yes, we are interested if the club is for sale." Manchester United declined to comment.

Earlier on Wednesday Bloomberg reported that the US-based Glazer family were considering a sale of a minority stake in the club.

Public shares in United, which listed on the New York Stock Exchange 10 years ago this month, rose more than 6 per cent on Wednesday to $13.60. However, the stock has fallen 20 per cent in the past 12 months and is still below its initial public offering price of $14.

United dominated English football in the 1990s and much of the 2000s, winning the title 13 times under legendary manager Sir Alex Ferguson. However, the team has failed to add to that tally since his retirement in 2013.

Not even the return of Portuguese striker Cristiano Ronaldo last season restored the club's fortunes; United failed to qualify for the lucrative European Champions League and finished sixth in the English top flight.

Manchester United sit bottom of the English Premier League with zero points after losing their first two games of the new season. The team lost 4-0 to Brentford on Saturday, in what the Manchester United Supporters Trust described as a "new low in our decade of decline". "We demand urgent and radical change," the group said.
According to football finance analyst Swiss Ramble, the club has spent over £1bn on interest, debt repayments and dividends, and management fees associated with the Glazer buyout.

thewobbler

I'll never really understand United fans' obsessive dismay at the Glazers taking money out of the club.

They've bankrolled a series of managers and have matched the salaries of any club in the world. This doesn't make them generous of course, but f**k me just how much money does a club need to spend before success should be inevitable? Would another £300m really have made a difference the past few years?

trailer

Quote from: thewobbler on August 18, 2022, 09:47:55 AM
I'll never really understand United fans' obsessive dismay at the Glazers taking money out of the club.

They've bankrolled a series of managers and have matched the salaries of any club in the world. This doesn't make them generous of course, but f**k me just how much money does a club need to spend before success should be inevitable? Would another £300m really have made a difference the past few years?

I think money is only part of the problem. The main issue is that they haven't a f**king clue how to run the club. Buying players is like 10% of the job and they can't even get that right!

Gaafan2

Who do you support? Would you like the glazers taking over your club in a similar way as what they've done at man united? They purchased the club using a £600million loan and burdened the club with that debt. Not a penny of their own was used. That debt still stands at £600 million 19 years on and £817 million has been paid out in interest payments, by the club not the glazers. The average dividend they take out of the club each year is £22 million. The money spent on transfers during this period is money generated by the club, not out of the glazers pocket. Add in the fact Old Trafford is crumbling and the training ground lags behind most premier league clubs, surely you can see why man united fans want them out.

seafoid

The Glazers are parasites. the way Man Utd is managed is a trope, except at Man City. .

magpie seanie

The Glazers haven't "bankrolled" anything. They've taken 1 Billion out for themselves (and counting) whilst running the club into the ground. The underinvestment in the early years of their ownership (Ronaldo replaced by Valencia for example) when they were struggling with their US businesses and to repay the massive debt they foisted on the club broke the cycle of success. Ferguson's genius meant trophies kept coming for a few years after that but the rot had set in. Since Ferguson left it there has been a chasm between United and the best. Quick fix solutions (Ibrahimovic) and some really good coaching (Ole) have papered over the cracks at times but inevitably the players aren't mentally equipped to be winners. The cycle has been broken and it will take a long time to rebuild it. The complete incompetence of the Glazers and their minions mitigates against this. They are about the worst owners imaginable bar the fact that there is no evidence of widespread human rights abuses at their hands.

New owners must provide for a level of fan ownership. Ideally all clubs should be supporter owned but capitalism won't allow this. Sports clubs shouldn't be corporate cash cows. Things will get worse before they get better and it's a lowering of the share price that will focus the Glazers minds.